The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 21, 2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Firefighter88

Colt M45 CQBP

Is the Colt M45 CQBP available to civilians yet, just seen it in American Rifleman magazine and it looks nice. If available, what's the price tag? I own a 1911, but don't have much experience with the rail, are there holsters that fit a 1911 with a light or laser mounted on the rail?
Old September 23, 2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Michael Wilson

I hope it will be available.
Old September 23, 2012, 02:59 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
are there holsters that fit a 1911 with a light or laser mounted on the rail?
Check out Safariland.
Old September 23, 2012, 03:09 PM   #4
sigcurious

I don't think they're available on the open market. Depending on which features you find appealing about the m45, the Sig 1911 scorpion is similar in aesthetics.
Old September 24, 2012, 06:14 PM   #5
RickB

To a certain extent, the M45 is a Rail Gun, painted tan. There are some detail differences, including relocated and reshaped cocking serrations (there was a lot of hand-wringing over pictures on the 'net that showed a slide, apparently a government test article, with cracks in the forward serrations), and a dual-spring recoil system. The M45 may also have a lanyard loop of some kind? It would be cool to have the "real deal", but the Rail Gun is pretty close.
Old September 25, 2012, 05:11 PM   #6
Fishbed77

Quote:
Is the Colt M45 CQBP available to civilians yet, just seen it in American Rifleman magazine and it looks nice.
As RickB mentioned, it's already on the market, since it's just a Colt Rail Gun with a tan Ceracote finish and a different recoil spring.

I personally own a new-production Colt XSE (same pistol as the Rail Gun, but without the Picatinny accessory rail), and I can tell you from my personal experience so far that it is an amazing firearm. Beautifully finished and suprisingly well-fitted. I doubt there is a nicer non-custom 1911 on the market today in the same price range.

Colt has really stepped up their game as of late.

Last edited by Fishbed77; September 25, 2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old September 25, 2012, 09:33 PM   #7
RickB

A buddy of mine, an engineer by trade, recently toured Colt's facilities, and the one thing that he kept mentioning was how much gauging they do as the parts are made. It looks like (he took a ton of pictures, where allowed) there's some sort of gauging fixture at almost every machine, and the parts are popped out of the mill, the lube blown off, and into the gauge they go. He was very impressed with both the level of automation (lots of new CNC machines), and the amount of handwork being performed.
Old December 17, 2012, 11:06 PM   #8
Sinlessorrow

RickB, the cracks were real. Colt made a mistake in lighting the frame(that oval cut you see in the rail) which caused binding of the spring, thus the slide beat the frame to death.

The handguns were sent back so Colt could examine and fix them, They did by fixing that weight reducing cut and adding a dual action spring.

The cracking issues are no longer existent.
Old December 18, 2012, 11:19 AM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
Colt made a mistake in lighting the frame(that oval cut you see in the rail) which caused binding of the spring, thus the slide beat the frame to death.
I wouldn't say Colt "made a mistake." The slide and recoil spring designs were the same that Colt had used for many years succesfully.

The MARSOC tests were designed to test the pistols to failure, which they did after many many thousands of rounds with little or no lubrication, and with the guns filled with sand, dirt, and other debris.

The end result was to take an excellent pistol design and make it even better.
Old December 18, 2012, 11:35 AM   #10
Tactical Jackalope

Yeah, what was recently said. It's the Colt Rail GunColt Rail Gun

I would think it would be readily available just like the Marine Corp. is getting it eventually. Just don't count on it any time soon.

Look at the SIG P226 "Navy" which is a normal P226 with a different internal finish and a sticker on the frame. A good marketing idea I guess.
Old December 18, 2012, 11:58 AM   #11
RickB

Quote:
RickB, the cracks were real. Colt made a mistake in lighting the frame(that oval cut you see in the rail) which caused binding of the spring, thus the slide beat the frame to death.

The handguns were sent back so Colt could examine and fix them, They did by fixing that weight reducing cut and adding a dual action spring.

The cracking issues are no longer existent.
My point is that the guns with cracked SLIDES were not M45s. Production started months after those pics hit the web, and as you note, and is noted above, the pre-production guns were altered to address the problem. It will be interesting to see if the Rail Gun is modified to more closely match the M45 spec.
Old December 18, 2012, 03:09 PM   #12
Noreaster

As for the cracks the same thing happened to Beretta. Navy Specwar guys fired thousands of rounds until failure to test the weapon and the slide broke and the rear half hit the users. Beretta fixed it by installing a piece so the slide couldn't come back. The point of the test was to break the gun, they just wanted to see how much it would take.
Old December 18, 2012, 03:32 PM   #13
Tucker 1371

That's part of the reason I picked this up yesterday...

So far it's NICE, haven't shot it yet but the slide sounds and feels MUCH smoother than the Springfield operator I had, less scratchy sounding.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old December 18, 2012, 03:45 PM   #14
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
GSUeagle1089
Nice! You finally got it. You've been searching high and low man. Congrats! It's gorgeous. Please post a range report.
Old December 18, 2012, 04:11 PM   #15
Tucker 1371

Quote:
Please post a range report.
Thank you sir! Will do, I'll probably get to put a few mags through it Thursday or Friday.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old December 18, 2012, 10:35 PM   #16
Stringfellow

Quote:
So far it's NICE, haven't shot it yet but the slide sounds and feels MUCH smoother than the Springfield operator I had, less scratchy sounding.
The recoil spring and guide rod are often more of a factor than the pistol itself--with full length guide rod providing the smoothest sound IMHO (for whatever that is worth to you).

But that said--VERY sweet pistol--congrats!
Old December 18, 2012, 11:37 PM   #17
Stringfellow

duplicate--sorry

Last edited by Stringfellow; December 18, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old December 19, 2012, 08:32 AM   #18
Auto426

Colt has announce that for 2013 they will be offering a civilian version of the M45 to the consumer market. It will be hand fitted in the custom shop and supplied with a test targete showing a minimum of a 1" grouping (distance for that grouping unknown). The will be packaged in a special case and come with two magazines that have been pre-tested with the gun to ensure function.

While it certainly won't be cheap, it sounds like a nice package. Clicky to see for yourself.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:33 AM   #19
RickB

I've heard it will cost about $1800. I've already heard some whining that it's too much for "just a Colt", but, as usual, there's only one place to get a Colt M45, so you don't really have a choice.
Old December 20, 2012, 03:28 PM   #20
Fishbed77

Quote:
I've heard it will cost about $1800. I've already heard some whining that it's too much for "just a Colt", but, as usual, there's only one place to get a Colt M45, so you don't really have a choice.
Honestly, $1800 sounds pretty good for a Custom Shop Colt these days.

The last few stainless steel Rail Guns I've seen in shops locally were priced at $1159, and by the time you factor in the cost of the VZ grips, Ceracote finish, night sights, Pelican case, Custom Shop hand-fitting, and "cool factor" of the M45, $1800 isn't that far off the mark.