The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 5, 2011, 02:16 PM   #1
mete

Any time , any place (Philly Bus Shooting)

http://video.foxnews.com/v/109559444...-on-public-bus

Here's an example of the fact that it can happen any where . That the woman called friends to come and shoot the man is no longer extraordinary ! And reason to keep your mouth shut when you see poor behaviour .The best you could do here is to keep down and hope the driver reacts quickly !Even if you had a carry gun best not to use it , too many bystanders .
Old August 5, 2011, 03:59 PM   #2
LockedBreech

While I think that guy was a fool for threatening to turn a lady in for lightly spanking her child (a great example of one of the many things wrong with America today, in my opinion), certainly her reaction brought things to a whole new level.

There are a lot of interesting tactical points in this video, thank you for posting it. The first that I see - what if a person on that bus was armed? Would you return fire and risk drawing more fire on the innocent people around you? I think I would since they're shooting anyway, but I don't honestly know.
Old August 5, 2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Alaska444

Philadelphia Bus Shooting

Not sure if this is on another thread or not, if so, please merge, but I just saw the video of this because someone was upset about a woman spanking her child. I guess you really have to mind your own business. The lady called in a hit while still on the bus. What a world we live in today. Take a look a the assault rifle this creep has:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qR6HJrZUtU
Old August 5, 2011, 06:08 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Merged.
Old August 5, 2011, 06:42 PM   #5
Superdave70_02

Just goes to show that your common bad guy is really a scared little wimp. They didn't get on the bus cause they would actually have to see faces as they shot and/or take return fire from somebody who knows more about guns and how to properly use one.
Old August 5, 2011, 07:19 PM   #6
mete

In this case I would fire on the BGs only if they entered the bus.
Old August 5, 2011, 08:59 PM   #7
WANT A LCR 22LR

A quick side track based on this thread. The ABC 20 / 20 " What would you do" series stages situations to see if the public will intervene when : Drunk mom tries to put kids in the car to leave. Couple are fighting. Someone being bullied. and so on. With some of these situations the actors staging the situation will push back when someone steps in. I'm just waiting for things to go very bad and someone feels threatened enough to pull a gun.
Old August 5, 2011, 09:59 PM   #8
sliponby

Have you ever seen one of these videos where the thugs pull out an LCP or small j-frame? Thugs always seem to have at least full sized service pistols or revolvers. But, jeesh, concealing assault rifles...

One reason why I'm more comfortable carrying my G26 with a spare 15 rd mag. rather than my PM9, LCP and 442. Although they all see some service from time to time.
Old August 5, 2011, 10:04 PM   #9
TheNocturnus

My god. What is wrong with the world we live in? Glad I carry everywhere, always.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old August 5, 2011, 10:58 PM   #10
Patriot86

I almost fell out of my chair laughing, first at the guy who threatened to turn the woman in for child abuse then at how she basically called a hit down on this bus. This crazy world we live in never stops amazing me.

From a CCW/SD standpoint that is really a no win situation. I do not know how thick your typical bus window is, I can assume that it is a bit thicker than a standard car window. That means you would probably best be packing something like a .357 or 10MM to engage someone accurately on the other side. Even if you were packing a 10MM or .357 I would be worried as hell about hitting anyone innocent inside the bus or outside on the street.
Old August 5, 2011, 11:33 PM   #11
BfloBill

The complete lack of respect for human life by these losers never ceases to amaze me. You never know how stable the people you are interacting with are and it's just not worth it to be confrontational over minor issues.

Tactically in this situation the best bet (if you were armed) may have been to just hit the deck and not return fire, but if the driver doesn't take off and they board the bus it's a different story completely.
Old August 6, 2011, 02:00 AM   #12
youngunz4life

another idiot letting a woman ruin his life: 'you mess w/my girl, check out my little friend an how tough I am'. have fun buddy...

this is an example how things can escalate. the woman has a right to spank her child but emotions take over and go up the ladder real quick.
Old August 6, 2011, 10:26 AM   #13
WANT A LCR 22LR

I get the sense the woman is more angered by being told not to do something than being told not to spank.
Old August 6, 2011, 10:48 AM   #14
AK103K

If I was by that door and the bus wasnt moving, Id have been shooting. What other choice do you have? Where they are isnt an issue, on the bus or off, they are still obviously a threat and need dealt with.

As far as the woman spanking her kid, Id have applauded her and told the other boy to mind his own business. Then again, he might have called somebody too.
Old August 6, 2011, 12:37 PM   #15
ESI Agent

Another reason to avoid puplic transportation!
Old August 6, 2011, 01:12 PM   #16
Patriot86

Does anyone here (probably ex LEO or Military) have experience in shooting through public bus type windows? The few times I have been on a bus, they looked thicker than a car type windshield though they are flat and not rounded. What caliber would you need to be shooting to insure your rounds not only penetrated consistently but were accurate on the other side? would even a 10MM give you that?
Old August 6, 2011, 06:35 PM   #17
youngunz4life

we all know the AK round was more than enough
Old August 6, 2011, 07:24 PM   #18
Dennis1209

May be wrong but, I don't know of any major city you can legally CCW on the public bus / light rail system. In St. Louis it's a big No No! Personally, in any sort of crowded situation I believe I would duck and cover if by myself. You own where those rounds end up and the likelihood of hitting a bystander is to great for me to chance. Besides, an assault rifle is no match for a defensive handgun.
Old August 6, 2011, 07:31 PM   #19
AK103K

If you shoot the boy with the assualt rifle first, even with your lowly handgun, then the assualt rifle cant hurt you.

If you just duck and let him shoot you, the result is likely to be different.
Old August 7, 2011, 01:46 AM   #20
youngunz4life

you better not miss though plus take aim and fire petty quick because if he turns and fires you're in a world of hurt
Old August 7, 2011, 07:27 AM   #21
AK103K

I dont "plan" on missing, but I will keep shooting until hes down or Im empty.

Just because he has a rifle, doenst mean hes going to hit you. Especially if hes got the stock folded, and is shooting from the hip.

Having an aggressive mindset, generally goes a lot farther than having a timid mindset, especially when the opposition isnt expecting you to be explosively aggressive. If you have to fight, then get right to it and force them to react to you, instead of the other way around.
Old August 7, 2011, 11:02 AM   #22
Mello2u

I hope that law enforcement finds, arrests and charges those people with every justifiable felony that their horrendous actions call for. Further, I hope the judge gives them the maximum incarceration time consistent with any convictions pursuant to those charges. Those people need to be removed from society.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old August 7, 2011, 11:46 AM   #23
TheNocturnus

Mello2u said:

Quote:
I hope that law enforcement finds, arrests and charges those people with every justifiable felony that their horrendous actions call for. Further, I hope the judge gives them the maximum incarceration time consistent with any convictions pursuant to those charges. Those people need to be removed from society.
+ Infinity

I agree whole heartedly my friend. Society would be a little better with these scumbags locked away.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old August 7, 2011, 12:09 PM   #24
Doublea A

To Dennis1209.
You can CCW in buses and light rails in (Minneapolis) Minnesota. I was surprise that the bus driver did not take off as soon as he saw the two thugs with the AK and pistol, instead he waited till the shooting started making the passengers sitting ducks. Are people really stupid or clueless under this situations?.
Old August 7, 2011, 12:59 PM   #25
threegun

As for how to handle this scenario . The eyes say it all LOL.

I think get low and prepare for them to board the bus and begin assassinations before acting. However my final answer is going to be it depends. Depends on my location in the bus. It depends on the position of innocents outside the bus. It depends on what my handgun rounds would be asked to penetrate to get hits. If I could get outside the confines of the bus, which is nothing but concealment to the AK, and attack the threats head on I would feel much better about this scenario.

Last edited by JohnKSa; August 7, 2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Politics.