The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 29, 2013, 11:42 PM   #1
Rikakiah

HK 416 .22LR diopter sight question

Just picked up a Walther/HK 416 (.22). I got it used without the owners manual, however, most parts are identical to a true 416 (outside of the stuff needed for .22 operation, of course).

Anyway, I'm unsure about the diopter sights. I've never used diopters before-just fixed irons and scopes. It looks like the true 416's diopter turret has markings, I'm guessing for 100-400 meter elevations? However, my turret has no markings of any kind. Is this just the MP5-style diopter that simply has different aperture sizes (related question, for what purpose?), or is it just a cheap sight and I'll have to trial and error which aperture changes the elevation in which direction (I'd heard the sights were one of the few non-authentic pieces Walther used)?