The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 14, 2013, 06:23 AM   #1
ruger357w

220 Swift die's

So I've been reloading for 10 years now but have never used the competition die sets. Are they worth the extra money? I picked up the remington varmint SF. I hope she shoots has good as she looks.
Old March 14, 2013, 09:02 AM   #2
sourdough44

For the hunter & casual target shooter, I wouldn't think so. I'd just get what you find available & make the most of the loads you assemble.
Old March 14, 2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I use Lee Collet neck dies and seaters with Redding body dies for several cartridges. I routinely (and pretty easily) load ammo that shoots 1/2 MOA and as little as 1/4 at 100 in several different factory stock, unmodified guns.

It's hard for me to imagine that "competition" dies would dramatically improve on that performance.

I suspect that ease of adjustment, micrometer marks and what-not, are the best feature of such dies.

I also suspect that they might make more difference in accuracy for a gun that shoots really tiny groups but factory guns essentially "mask" any minute benefits. In other words, a 1/10th MOA improvement would be hard to see in my guns without shooting a whole bunch of rounds. A gun that shoots 1/5 MOA, a 1/10 MOA improvement would be dramatic.
Old March 15, 2013, 10:03 PM   #4
jepp2

I use a similar approach as Peetza with the Lee Collet die and the Redding body die. Based on bullet runout, this approach gives the straightest necks.

A previous post you may find helpful: here