The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 3, 2005, 09:44 PM   #1
Shrinkmd

Mobile Reloading bench?

Could I set up a reloading machine on a portable cart, sort of like the sears craftsman 2 drawer mobile tool cabinet in the picture? Has anyone tried doing anything like this? I figure you could keep lots of stuff in the drawers, and my wife would like that it could roll away when not being used.

Thanks for any advice/thoughts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00959215000.jpg (3.8 KB, 169 views)
Old July 3, 2005, 10:12 PM   #2
Leftoverdj

Should work fine as long as the wheels will lock solidly and the structure is ridgid. Probably need to add a wooden top with a little more overhang. Salvage solid core doors are good for that.
Old July 3, 2005, 10:36 PM   #3
rwilson452

mobile bench

A length of 2X12 or 2X12. counter sink the bolts so they don't stick out the bottom. a hefty C clamp. the length should be long enough to reach whatever yor going to clamp to. and get a cheap towel or and old one the "boss" says you can have. I have used this setup clamped to the kitchen table. the board and press were stored in the back of a closet. you clamp the board on the oposite end from the press. assuming the table is longer one way than the other go across the long way. You may need a spacer block under the table on the clamp end maybe not. with the towel between the board and table you won't mar the table. I guess this won't work on a glass table.
Old July 4, 2005, 02:20 AM   #4
mtnboomer

I would remove the swiveling wheels and replace all 4 with non-swiveling rigid-type, hard rubber (not plastic) locking casters. It will make it a little harder to maneuver around, but it will be far more stable in use.

Another idea would be to fabicate outrigger jacks on each corner that could be dropped down, the cabinet lifted slightly and then the jack crosspinned to hold the cabinet wheels just off the ground. Be sure to reinforce the sides well where the jacks attach to the cabinet as the force of reloading may break them loose.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old July 4, 2005, 11:45 AM   #5
swmike

I used to use a "Work Mate" (folding workbench). I fastened my Rock Chucker to the top with small c-clamps. The legs were offset to the front so it didn't want to tip too bad when resizing.
Old July 5, 2005, 03:59 AM   #6
38Mike

I live in a tiny apartment; I actually use a microwave cart....have press bolted to left side and powder measure on the right......for as much ( little ) loading I do, set up works fine....