The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 14, 2005, 12:05 AM   #1
Malamute

Winchester Model 12 reliability compared to Rem 870?

I'd like to hear experiences and opinions on the relative reliability of the Model 12 compared to the 870. I've had an 870 for years, but don't really care for it as much as the Model 12 I aquired recently.

I really like the takedown ability of the model 12. Makes it a nice item for taking along in the overnight duffle when on the road and staying in motels.

Last edited by Malamute; June 14, 2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old June 14, 2005, 12:09 AM   #2
rugerdude

If you're the one using it, and you obviously like one, then does it matter what we think?

If this is a kind of "what do you prefer?" question, then I say rem 870 because you can't beat its reputation.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old June 14, 2005, 01:00 AM   #3
Pointer

The 12 is famous and greatly loved by clay shooters. One of the finest shotguns ever made.

The 870 is more versatile... after-market upgrades and barrel choices etc...
It is an excellent shotgun also.

Beauty is another matter.
Old June 14, 2005, 01:28 AM   #4
dgludwig

Model 12 or Model 870

My opinion is of heart and mind:

Heart: Get the Model 12-no repeating shotgun handles better or looks prettier.

Mind: Get the Model 870-there is no more reliable or functional shotgun made.

Mind: Get the Model 12-it will appreciate more in monetary value than most any other repeating shotgun.

Heart: Get the Model 12-its a much better choice to hand down as an heirloom for a son or daughter or grandchild.

Hmmm; three to one and the 870 has no heart...
Old June 14, 2005, 10:32 AM   #5
Skeetin'870

Imho I think you should go with what you like I used to shoot a 1200 and people were always impressed by the quality. It didnt fit me and it wasnt my gun to change so. But i haved used a model 12 and I liked it. Get what you want
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old June 14, 2005, 11:02 AM   #6
Malamute

"If you're the one using it, and you obviously like one, then does it matter what we think?"

Yes, but the question is a reliabilty one, more than which one someone "likes" best. I'm just wondering if there's a difference reliabilty wise. Folks that have experience with either/both may have some useful input. I DO like the model 12 better, more for the takedown than anything I think, tho the history and character is interesting.

I think the model 12 has a good reputation for reliabilty, but am not really a shotgun person, so have little to go by. The 870 has a good reputation. I dont know how much of that is from being used so extensively, and others (like the model 12) may be as good, just not as well known, or as "renowned".
I've shot some informal skeet and sporting clays with the model 12, and have had no trouble so far.

I already have both, but the 870, not being a takedown, isn't as handy to have around so doesn't go very often unless bird hunting or shooting clays. If I had room for the 870 to go along in the truck on a regular basis, I'd have room for a rifle, which I find much more useful.

So, the basic question is, are the two closely comparable reliabilty wise?

BTW, my Model 12 probably has little collectible value, I found a well used and abused gun with little original finish, pitted reciever, and barrel already cut. I cut it to 20" put good rifle sights and sling on it, recoil pad, and had a takedown case made that gives me an overall length of 22" cased. The original thought was for a gun I could take through Canada while driving to Alaska, since handguns are not allowed for visitors, and be handy enough to carry in a day pack when out kicking around in the hills, and not wanting (or able)to carry a rifle. Maybe not as handy as having a gun in one piece, but infintely better than having a gun in the truck,...2 miles away when needed.

I've found it makes a nice travelling companion in the states, and fits in the overnight duffel bag when staying in motels.