The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 30, 2009, 06:48 PM   #51
357 Python

The tactical light that I carry on my duty belt I got from the NRA Store. It is a Hell Fighter X-8. It is said to have 130 lumens all I know is that it sure is bright.
Old August 30, 2009, 07:45 PM   #52
swmp9jrm

Here's what I have beside the bed. It is bright enough to blind (temporarily, of course!), has a strobe function to disorient, and is pretty economical.

Fenix P3D Q5
Old September 3, 2009, 10:48 AM   #53
Madcap_Magician

As a note, I prefer lights that run on AA or AAA batteries, because those little lithium CR123s are EXPENSIVE.

An LED one is a good idea, too. A little more expensive sometimes, but the xenon bulbs have run times measured in minutes at high power, and if CR123s stretch the wallet, replacing the bulbs a lot will break the bank.
Old September 12, 2009, 02:44 PM   #54
Ohio Rusty

A person can get the CR 123's on the 'net for a dollar a piece if you buy them in bulk ...like a 12 or 15 pack. Buying them at the store individually is too expensive, I agree ....
Ohio Rusty ><>
Old September 12, 2009, 02:51 PM   #55
rjrivero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcap_Magician
As a note, I prefer lights that run on AA or AAA batteries, because those little lithium CR123s are EXPENSIVE.

An LED one is a good idea, too. A little more expensive sometimes, but the xenon bulbs have run times measured in minutes at high power, and if CR123s stretch the wallet, replacing the bulbs a lot will break the bank.
I perfer a light with multiple battery configurations. I like the rechargeable 18500's or 18650's because you can use your light for anything and just charge the li-Ion batteries again and again.

The CR123's last 10 years on the shelf and make good backups for when you need them.

Part of the reason the Olight M30 just made it into my collection.
Old September 12, 2009, 04:13 PM   #56
Bill DeShivs

Lithium AA and AAA batteries are available. They are good for long term storage, and operation in cold weather. They can also be readily replaced with alkaline batteries from any store. Not so with 123s.
Old September 14, 2009, 12:08 AM   #57
mustang_steve

I have a 140 lumen 14v xenon I keep around for HD, but this is what I really want...4100 frickin lumens of blinding power.

http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/The_Torch-74-41.html

I'd love to see what happens after a BG gets a 1-2 second light-blasting from that.
Old September 14, 2009, 03:13 AM   #58
Nnobby45

I have a number of SureFires. I like the Aviator A2 (one of their best concepts), the Z-2 is a good one, also, and the 9P. My 870's fore end has a modified 6P of some sort.

Since my Bladetech mag pouches were made for the 6P I carry it and it works as well as it ever did. One with standard bulb, the other with the Zenon and Crennelated strike bezel. One aluminum body, and one polymer.

Zenon bulb more expensive, battery life much longer.

123 batteries? Not a problem, I just order them from SureFire by the box. 12 for $21 doesn't break the bank.

You can buy a 72 pack for $126, and as mentioned the Zenon has much better battery. Surefire also has good customer service. They sent me a new bulb assembly nc on my word that it burned out prematurely.

I agree that we can sometimes get carried away worrying about all them there lumens.

The 6P has stopped people in their tracks who approached me when walking after dark. Also great for crosswalks at night. SureFire's site even has a story about a guy who used his strike bezel to save himself on ice.

Was just looking at their site like a kid in a candy store. They keep developing more and more models all the time--and my 6P still works jus fine--oops, said that already.

Last edited by Nnobby45; September 14, 2009 at 03:20 AM.
Old September 14, 2009, 07:43 AM   #59
1goodshot

Get 1 of the build your own with the high out put flood lamp.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/