The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 23, 2000, 08:11 PM   #1
shamster

Just picked up my first shotgun...a Remington 870 Police Magnum. Just wondering how you all keep it loaded. Do you kee a round in the chamber, with the forend retracted back, chamber empty with forearm forward, round in chamber with forearm forward with safety on (condition one), or something else?
Old February 23, 2000, 08:57 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

The chamber is empty, the hammer uncocked, two rounds of # 2 birdshot in the tube. (house (bedroom) gun) Elastic butt cuff with # 4 buckshot.

Second gun (other end of house ) - chamber empty, hammer down, 2 rounds of # 4 buck in the magazine, four rounds # 4 buck in SideSaddle, 2 rounds slugs (ss). The buckshot is all Remington (green hulls), the slugs are Winchester (red hulls).

I like the idea of having color coded ammo and have a slightly different mission for the gun equipped with slugs. That area of the house faces a driveway and a large backyard with a safe backstop.

Both guns are accessible if you know where they are - otherwise their out of sight from casual observation.

Giz
Old February 23, 2000, 09:47 PM   #3
Ned Roundtree

Chamber empty, slide forward, hammer down. Six in the tube #00 and #4 alternating. Two #00 and two #4 in the side saddle. Safety on.
Old February 24, 2000, 08:19 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Cruiser ready. That's empty chamber, locked slide, safety on. Mag holds 6, has 5, three 00 behind two #6 shot field loads. Sidesaddle has 3 more 00, 2 slugs.
Old February 24, 2000, 10:11 AM   #5
monoboy

Cruiser ready. Empty chamber, locked slide, safety off. 7 00 buck in mag (holds 8),3 00 buck and 3 Brennke in sidesaddle.

Oh wait, mine's a 590A1.
Old February 24, 2000, 11:59 AM   #6
AntiHero

Empty chamber, slide locked, safety off, 6 3" 00 buck. 3 slugs & 3 more 00 buck in the sidesaddle.

Been playing with the notion of a surefire tactical light... any personal experiences?
Old February 25, 2000, 01:14 AM   #7
Mal H
Staff

Empty chamber and safety off. Tube loaded with all #4's.

The distinctive sound of pumping an 870 to chamber a shell is one of the best deterrents there is. So don't try to muffle the sound if you have a good reason to use your gun.
Old February 25, 2000, 02:11 PM   #8
Trigger Jerk

Hal, I'm going to play the devils advocate here. Not meaning any disrespect or singling anyone out....Who says that the sound of racking the slide is a deterrent?

That's something I've heard all my life. I don't necessarily disbelieve it. I'm just looking for documentation to support the claim.

Does anyone have any documentation to support that claim, or is it just one of many "gun myths" that continues to float around?
Old February 25, 2000, 04:01 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

TJ, Bobby Miller escaped from all of the prisons he was incarcerated in in Md. In about 1980, I was working the perimeter on a shotgun post at the Md House of Correction. Bobby walked close to the fence and asked me in a joking manner if I'd shoot him if he jumped the fence. I told him he didn't want to find out. After the yard and gym were closes, the count came up two short, Bobby and another inmate. When the Lt came by on rounds,I was told it was Bobby,etc. I advised the Lt I had seen Bobby in the yard. The Lt formed a search team and led it into the yard. Bobby and the other inmate were hiding under the bleachers,and Bobby ran when they entered the area. I heard someon eyell there they go, and racked the slide on my issue 870. According to the Lt, Bobby came to a screeching halt,threw his hands up and hollered,"Don't let that #$%^&*() shoot me!!".

The defense rests(G)....
Old February 25, 2000, 05:01 PM   #10
Morgan

To play devil's advocate...

I'm burglarizing your house, and I'm armed, mean, and dangerous, but not necessarily out to hurt anybody. You hear something in the living room and rack the slide on your shotgun. Now I know somebody's home, awake, and armed, and I know where they are. Had you just snicked the safety off or quietly racked the gun, you'd have had the drop on me. Now, I'm waiting for you to step into my ambush. Come on, I'm waiting... Step out into that fatal funnel of a hallway...

The first (and last) thing I want an intruder into my home to hear is the muzzle blast.
Old February 25, 2000, 05:24 PM   #11
muleshoe

Morgan:
You are assuming that Joe Homeowner doesn't already have you lined up?

------------------
bullet placement is gun control
Old February 25, 2000, 05:42 PM   #12
Morgan

Mule - yep. That's the scenario. You wake up to noise in your house. If you really believe that the sound of a shotgun being forcefully racked will make all evil flee, then why even load it?

I agree that many (most?) would take flight at the sound, but why give an adversary any chance to harm you or your family? Ambush them - don't give them the chance to ambush you.

Of course, this is a very limited scenario, not taking into account dogs, a hardened (saferoom) bedroom with a cell phone, etc.

[This message has been edited by Morgan (edited February 25, 2000).]
Old February 26, 2000, 09:09 AM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

First off, Morgan, you don't step into that #$%^&*( hallway.Let the scum move into YOUR ambush.

Bedrooms here at Casa McC are all upstairs. By the time a perp(s) gets to the stairs,Wife and I should be awake, and well armed. Perp can have what he wants downstairs,but one step up those stairs means a real messy cleanup job after the Police leave.Homeowners insurance will pay for the stolen items,and few material things(if any) are worth risking the lives of one's self and family.

I'm not getting more detailed,I don't discuss my security arrangements with anyone. But, a gun or six is merely a good tool and only part of a HD/security plan.
Old February 27, 2000, 02:36 PM   #14
Jonathan Chenault

i keep my remington loaded with four rounds of 3-inch #2 buckshot, with the forearm foward and the hammer un-cocked. in other words just put four rounds in the magazine and set it by the door.
Old February 29, 2000, 05:28 PM   #15
TheOtherMikey

If you invade my home my job is not to shoot you. It is to prevent you from doing harm to me and mine. The first thing I do after picking up my shotgun is to call 911. I keep myself and my family behind closes and locked doors. If you choose to try to breach my security, your ass is mine. If you want to run away, you are the problem of the local PD. Either way, you will never harm me or mine. Steal something if you want, I have insurance but don't **** WITH ME OR MY KIDS...penalty is death! Have a nice day, Mikey.
Old March 1, 2000, 06:55 PM   #16
Kathryn

My family is all over the house. I can't wait-n-see if they come to a bedroom or not. Sounds to me then, that I should be loaded and ready to go, so I can get down the hallway to meet and greet.