The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 7, 2015, 05:39 PM   #1
akinswi

44mag Winchester White Box ammo

Does anybody know the load specs for the 44mag Winchester White Box ammo. My buddy let me shoot some and it was like a hammer. My ruger superblackhawk hunter almost jumped out of my hand the first time I shot one of these rds. I love to handload to those specs. I can't remember the weight of the actual bullet was prob a 240grn.

thanks
Old January 7, 2015, 05:59 PM   #2
laytonj1

The Winchester white box of 44 mag with 240gr. JSP I have states the velocity as 1180 fps at muzzle with 741 ft/lbs of energy. Not exactly a powerful loading.

Jim
Old January 7, 2015, 06:18 PM   #3
akinswi

it way was hotter than that. for sure.
Old January 7, 2015, 08:12 PM   #4
Ozzieman

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/290...ted-soft-point

Ballistics Information:

•Muzzle Velocity: 1180 fps
•Muzzle Energy: 741 ft. lbs.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old January 8, 2015, 01:25 AM   #5
DaleA

Are you sure those were factory loads?

I reload and reuse ammo boxes all the time. (But I almost always mark the box so I can tell what I'm shooting.)
Old January 8, 2015, 01:59 AM   #6
akinswi

after everybody showing me the specs, had to be reloads. No way that those bullets were coming out my ruger at 1100fps, more like 1600fps. My buddies anaconda was kicking like a mule too.
Old January 8, 2015, 10:52 AM   #7
glenncal1

You have a lot more information about the twinkie you bought at 7-11 on the way to the range than factory ammo. I don't know why they aren't required to list the powder and charge weight on factory ammo. The twinkie lists ingredients, calories, fat grams etc. We should have the same info for ammo.

Many K and N Frames
Old January 8, 2015, 11:35 AM   #8
akinswi

I used to take some rounds apart and see what the charge was, but that really doesnt tell you what powder they use.
Old January 8, 2015, 11:42 AM   #9
Snyper

Quote:
I don't know why they aren't required to list the powder and charge weight on factory ammo.
Because they don't always use powders you can buy off the shelf, and the charge weights can vary with powder lots, but it's hard to change the printing on the box

Velocity is all most people are interested in
Old January 8, 2015, 11:42 AM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I don't know why they aren't required to list the powder and charge weight on factory ammo.
The main reason they don't list the powder and charge weight on factory ammo is practicality. Putting that info on the box is just a waste of the cost of putting that info on the box.

The reason it is a waste is simply because that information is MEANINGLESS to the shooting public, even if they are handloaders.

Factory ammo is loaded with powders not sold at retail. Factories buy powder by the boxcar load, and develop loads with it, to meet desired pressure and velocity specs. Canister grade powders, (the ones sold to handloaders) great care is taken so that each batch is as close to the same as the last one as they can make. So that can of Bullseye you buy today (assuming you can get any) is essentially the same as the can bought 4 years ago, etc.

The powder used by the ammo makers can vary hugely from lot to lot, even with the same "name". They take this into account, and work up loads for each different lot.

So, lot#1234 might use 10.0gr for a certain load and lot#1235 might use 12gr, and lot 1238 might use 8.7gr for the same given load pressure and velocity.

That information has no practical use for us, we can't get the powders they use, And seeing one# lot of ammo used less powder than a different lot# means nothing to us, either, as ALL the lot#s are loaded to the same pressure specs. etc.
Old January 8, 2015, 12:42 PM   #11
buck460XVR

Quote:
My buddy let me shoot some and it was like a hammer.
Quote:
after everybody showing me the specs, had to be reloads.
Quote:
I can't remember the weight of the actual bullet was prob a 240grn.
I suggest you ask your buddy what the bullet weight was and if they were reloads or not, otherwise everything else is just speculation with the little amount of info you have.
Old January 8, 2015, 12:52 PM   #12
Bob Wright

44AMP:

You so very well explained factory practices regarding the loading of ammunition. Never have I seen it described better.

Bob Wright
Old January 9, 2015, 01:27 PM   #13
Sequins

AMP, I just learned something thanks to you. Did you work in a factory? I didn't realize there was such a variation from lot to lot.
Old January 10, 2015, 11:19 PM   #14
Webleymkv

WWB .44 Magnum 240gr JSP has, in my experience, been very inconsistent ammunition and I, personally, avoid it. On one occasion that I shot it, it seemed to be overpressure displaying disproportionately heavy recoil, flattened primers and very sticky extraction in a S&W 29-2 and 629-6 yet on another occasion it displayed intermittently light recoil and extremely sooty cases, which is a sign of underpressure, in a Ruger Redhawk.
Old January 11, 2015, 02:58 AM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

Isn't the "white box"line considered the cheap stuff? bargain ammo, not top shelf stuff? QC issues show up more in the cheap stuff, or so it seems.
Old January 11, 2015, 10:36 AM   #16
buck460XVR

Winchester shows a velocity of 1180fps from both of it's offerings in 240 gr .44 mag, including their high priced Super-X hunting load. This is from a 4'' vented test barrel. While not the hammer of Thor, not really anemic either. I've never judged the performance of any round by it's recoil, but instead how accurate and consistent it is and how it performs terminally downrange.
Old January 31, 2015, 03:01 PM   #17
Snyper

Quote:
Isn't the "white box"line considered the cheap stuff? bargain ammo, not top shelf stuff? QC issues show up more in the cheap stuff, or so it seems.
QC "should" be the same, since it's largely determined on how the machines are set up and maintained

The cost factor is determined more by the components
Old January 31, 2015, 03:52 PM   #18
T. O'Heir

1180 fps at muzzle is the Winchester standard load for a 240. Hornady XTP is faster than that.
Anyway, CFE Pistol or AutoComp will give you those velocities with a cast bullet. Nearly every powder listed on Hodgdon's site will do it with a jacketed bullet. Seven powders start faster than 1180 fps.
Your Blackhawk got factory grips on it? That style is designed to roll in your hand.