The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 7, 2014, 09:00 PM   #1
Mosin-Marauder

So How's The SKS?

I own a Mosin Nagant M91/30 which I love immensely . I have spent many hours tinkering with it and making sure everything ran as Smooth as possible. I am now looking into getting an SKS, as the design and hardiness of these Russian Battle Rifles Amazes me.. I would like to get one that hasn't been modified in any way and has all matching serial numbers. So how hard would that be? And are the generally accurate rifles? As far as battle rifles I mean? Are they worth the cost? If someone could answer these questions I would appreciate it. But all advice and insight as helpful aswell.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old May 7, 2014, 09:37 PM   #2
Doug76

Although they cost much more now than they did a few years ago, I'd have to say yes, they are definitely worth having, and they are generally fairly accurate. Unfortunately it is the ammo itself which is responsible for them not being more accurate.
But I have one, and I really like it, and it is my primary hog hunting rifle.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:20 PM   #3
tangolima

I saw you wanting to have a 1903, an arisaka, and now a sks. Get them all, and you will know them all.

Anyway, sks is the least accurate rifle of all those 4 you have asked about. Not really its ammunition but rather how the action is bedded to the stock. It is intrinsically inferior. Interesting it may be, but not because it is accurate. I own one, and I'd rather have a sks than an AK.
-TL

Last edited by tangolima; May 7, 2014 at 11:29 PM.
Old May 8, 2014, 02:15 AM   #4
Ignition Override

Beware of the possibility that certain SKS rifles could suffer a popped primer, resulting in a stuck or separated firing pin. This happened with Tula ammo-in both of my nice, all-matching Yugo M59s. This never happened in the Chinese rifle, even with over 2,000 rds. of only Wolf and Monarch ammo.

One of those Yugos was shipped to Murray's Gunsmithing (chamber reaming $30). None of the rifles which have had such very precision work Ever had another popped primer. Murray has a forum at SKSboards.

You might want to spend time reading "SKSboards", if not already. Many of those guys/gals there Really know their SKS systems.
Most SKS owners have heard, or realize that a dirty firing pin channel can cause a very dangerous "slam fire".
A retired Army Colonel on the next block was not aware, and all thirty rounds in his SKS "Paratrooper" went off like a machine gun.

Imagine where the upwards-tilted muzzle aims after a few of these bangs...!
Mike's firing pin in his Paratrooper does Not rattle when you shake the bolt. It must be cleaned before the gun is used again. Murray's will clean and reassemble it for a small charge.

Last edited by Ignition Override; May 10, 2014 at 03:15 AM.
Old May 8, 2014, 10:27 AM   #5
Gbnk82

The sks is a great gun..but you have the right idea get one that is unmodified I just traded a heavily modified sks because it had to many issues with the aftermarket mags.the stock sks is a great gun IMO without it the ak47 would not exist today..it is one of the most reliable semi autos out there and it is more accurate than its cousin the ak.

I am a firm believer in buying American made over foreign but it sure is hard to deny that the Russians have known what they are doing when it comes to guns..if you want one go get one before they start to disappear if you shop around you can get a deal on one for 250-300 still.i know I'm about to buy myself another
Old May 8, 2014, 07:14 PM   #6
redline494

I have a Norinco Sks. Cheap to feed, and a lot of fun to shoot. Accuracy with mine is actually not that bad.
I can drag it through mud, take it out in the -30*F winter, fill it with water, and it will fire anything but the kitchen sink. (if the sink were filled with powder, it may shoot that also).
Just based off the reliability and the fun factor they present, I would say get one.
Old May 9, 2014, 09:39 AM   #7
gdvan01

Quote:
You might want to spend time reading SKSboards, if not already.
This.

I have the SKS my Dad brought back from Vietnam. It doesn't make regular range trips but when it does it shots quite nicely and is surprisingly accurate.

Make sure the firing pin travels freely within the bolt to avoid slamfire issues.

ETA - I'd love to get another for range outings and only fire the 'bring-back' a few times a year.

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old May 9, 2014, 10:20 AM   #8
Garycw

I think they're great rifles. That's why I have a NORINCO , YUGO , paratrooper and a early Chinese. They're good from plinking to hunting to SHTF. Stock up on a few cases of ammo & you're set. The prices have gone up as with most firearms, but still worth the $ IMO. If a similar gun was manufactured today it would be closer to dbl the price of what they're selling for.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399648845.598637.jpg
Old May 9, 2014, 03:48 PM   #9
doofus47

worth getting.
Old May 10, 2014, 03:14 AM   #10
Ignition Override

A guy in the Memphis area has a very good Russian, listed for $350. It is FTF only.

His ad is on the actual cork bulletin board at MSSA, the local private shooting club.
People there can provide his phone number, but again, he only wants a local sale-in person.
Old May 10, 2014, 05:39 PM   #11
tahunua001

on average you'll see better accuracy than your garden variety mosin nagant. they are good guns and very stout. however all matching is starting to become less and less common. a lot of guns you see have been hacked, drilled, and otherwise modified and many of what you see now for a reasonable price are all Ufixems from century arms and are either missing parts or were cobbled together before being thrown into chinese storage warehouses. I ended up with a U fixem chinese SKS about 2 years ago and even though it needed some work to get it serviceable again, it was well worth the cost in my opinion.
Old May 12, 2014, 11:49 AM   #12
MuzzleBlast

Location: Arkansas. Much better place since Bill and Hillary went home.
Love mine.

I've had one for nearly 20 years, and many, many rounds. It is not accurate if compared to AR's or bolt guns. They used to be a genuine bargain, because you could get one for $100, now they are just a good value. The 7.62x39mm is roughly equivalent to the .30-30 Win in power, so they are good short range deer and hog rifles.

Molwn labe!
Old May 12, 2014, 01:27 PM   #13
Quentin2

Getting an unmodified, all matching SKS at a great price is getting harder every day. As far as whether you'll love it like your Mosin, well we can't answer that.

My own observation, I like my Mosin M44 better than my Yugo SKS but not as well as my Russian SKS, a 1954 Tula. The Yugo is all matching but I don't like its muzzle-heavy balance while the rearsenaled Russian just feels right.

The Russian is in great shape but has a force matched SN magazine, laminated stock and "new" barrel. It's a great rifle but doesn't meet your requirements. Maybe you could find one that does but it won't be cheap!
Old May 12, 2014, 04:13 PM   #14
Gbnk82

Russians are by far the best in the sks world..just remember if you buy don't settle for one just because it is a "good price" I made that mistake to many times..look for an unmodifed Russian or norinco is also a good shooter
Old May 14, 2014, 04:02 AM   #15
jsust

269 for a norinco. 2 day sale at classic http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/chicomsks i bought one from here last year and its was all matching including the stock. good bore also. Sino-Soviet with the /26\. stock was beat to hell though but it has been a good plinkers
Old May 14, 2014, 09:17 AM   #16
DPris
Member Emeritus

I've had my Chinese SKS, a genuine government-issue version, since about '88.
I owned later Norinco tourist model SKSs.
Sold them. Those were just not built as well.

The one I still have has been reliable, if not extremely accurate.
They can be fun guns.

The Russians are regarded as the best, the Yugos are reported to have the occasional problem with gas valves & they're overly long with the grenade-launcher.

I'm happy with my Chinese version, if I wanted another SKS I'd look for another Chinese GOVERNMENT PROPERTY/GOVERNMENT ISSUE sample.
Failing that, I'd look for a Russian.

But, that's just me.
Denis
Old May 15, 2014, 06:55 PM   #17
amx4080

The OP has a Mosin Nagant, so he needs a Russian SKS! Plenty available, but the average asking price is over $500 now (data here). Average sale price is closer to $500 (sale data here). Those are on-line auction prices, sometimes you might find a better deal locally.
Old May 16, 2014, 01:59 AM   #18
Ignition Override

With 7.62x39 ammo still at .22-.23/rd., any decent SKS at a typical market price is a good value.
Shooting a centerfire commercial round for approx. .22/rd. at Today's prices is very hard to beat in the US.

If not already stored, maybe buy a heap of the ammo now -if cash allows- before the next Unanticipated event creates an overnight panic. When the next stampeding herd overreaction takes place, the SKS rifle should be much easier to find than any 7.62x39 ammo.

Just after Newtown, most SKS were the "sleeper semi-autos" on Gunbroker.
A short, typically Non-detachable magazine can be a strong asset for keeping a gun under CNN's/MSNBC's news radar (at least so far).

Last edited by Ignition Override; May 16, 2014 at 02:08 AM.
Old May 16, 2014, 03:26 AM   #19
shaunpain

They are great guns, but they are getting more expensive every day. If you really intend on getting one, there's no better time than now as the prices will continue to increase forever. I got a Yugo from Samco. They are highly recommended and have unbeatable prices as an importer themselves. The Russian varietals are highly prized and thusly command high prices. It is fairly accurate with the irons it has and coming from the 91/30 you will be in your own wheelhouse. What that means for someone like me that can't see that skinny little blade is they suck, but nobody buys a milsurp expecting to shoot it any other way (because anything else is sacrilegious!). If you are willing to pay the bucks, you can find one with matching numbers, but that shouldn't be needed with a fine armory grade specimen in the cosmoline. Com Bloc nations re-arsenaled millions of the SKS in perfect working condition to pack and ship off to Bubba who, quite ironically, made it not work ever again. Get from Samco and blow out the cosmo and you're good to go. Shoot, enjoy, repeat.
Old May 20, 2014, 08:16 PM   #20
Doc TH

A stock (unmodified) SKS is still a good bargain, particularly a Russian SKS. They are adequately accurate for hunting or SD purposes, although the stock sights leave something to be desired. However, they are rugged and ultra-reliable. Check out Hickok 45 on youtube - he has a two part SKS review that you will find interesting. Be aware, however, that he is a very capable shooter and you might not be able to reproduce his results.
Old May 22, 2014, 02:35 AM   #21
bamaranger

not me

There are lots of SKS fans on this forum, but I'm not one of them. The SKS was a stop gap weapon on the way to the AK. Its 10 rd stripper loaded box and semi only fire made it outmoded even before it was introduced.

As a civilian/sport/fun gun, none of that matters, but the SKS is/was to long and heavy for what it was intended to be....a carbine. But I suppose alongside a Mosin-Nagant it was indeed a carbine.

As a $100 truckgun/loaner, it had its place, now, the price they get for one is insane. I'd save a few more hundred bucks and get an entry AK.
Old May 22, 2014, 11:02 PM   #22
Ignition Override

The only reason(s) I ever considered the SKS in early '08 was the price for Russian ammo and original SKS rifles at that time.

Being back to .21-.22/rd., this is the only new commercial centerfire ammo for this price, other than possible discounts on commercial 5.45x39 ammo.
Not even commercial .223 ammo is quite the same price.
Old May 23, 2014, 08:30 AM   #23
chris in va

Quote:
Beware of the possibility that certain SKS rifles could suffer a popped primer, resulting in a stuck or separated firing pin. This happened with Tula ammo-in both of my nice, all-matching Yugo M59s. This never happened in the Chinese rifle, even with over 2,000 rds. of only Wolf and Monarch ammo.
My FP also got stuck on my Yugo. Fortunately it was jammed back in the channel and didnt go FA. I sold it and got a Saiga, which in turn got sold for an AR that I could reload for. Not a big fan of relying on foreign sourced ammo.
Old May 27, 2014, 01:18 AM   #24
Justice06RR

Quote:
There are lots of SKS fans on this forum, but I'm not one of them. The SKS was a stop gap weapon on the way to the AK. Its 10 rd stripper loaded box and semi only fire made it outmoded even before it was introduced.

As a civilian/sport/fun gun, none of that matters, but the SKS is/was to long and heavy for what it was intended to be....a carbine. But I suppose alongside a Mosin-Nagant it was indeed a carbine.

As a $100 truckgun/loaner, it had its place, now, the price they get for one is insane. I'd save a few more hundred bucks and get an entry AK.
While I get your reasoning, the SKS is still a robust, reliable, and accurate rifle.

Semiauto fire is fine in the civilian world since you can't get Select Fire AK's anyway (unless you spend a ton of money).

Weight is not an issue with the SKS; AK's can be heavy too. But the weight of the SKS helps it absorb the recoil very well. I love shooting my Chinese SKS. Recoil is very maneagable unlike a Mosin M44.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:17 AM   #25
Colt46

Awesome guns

A valid complaint is that the stock seems to have been made to fit an oompa loompa.