The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 7, 2012, 04:53 PM   #1
dayman

Flying out of Boston with guns.

I hope this is in the right section.
I was wondering how much of a pain it would be to fly out of Boston MA with guns.
I live in Maine, and am going to be flying out west to visit friends this summer. We're flying out of Boston, and I had intended to bring a rifle and a couple handguns with me for some fun in the sand, but after reading about troubles people have had in NYC I'm second thinking it.
Granted Boston isn't NYC, but MA isn't exactly gun friendly, and I don't have any MA permits.
Anyone have any experience or insight?
Old June 7, 2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

A friend went to the SW Indoor IDPA match recently and said leaving from MA was a horror. The TSA and local law made him prove that he legally had the right to possess each gun (he took copies of the fed law and local law which said that if you were there for a sanctioned match it was legal). It took forever.

No expert on MA or Boston but is it legal to have a handgun in Boston without some paperwork. I won't trust the fed law to protect you from the locals.

But, what do I know - some MA folks can help you out.

BTW, don't MA bash folks - just answer the question.
Old June 7, 2012, 07:38 PM   #3
MLeake

Can you just take a connecting flight from Portland or Bangor? Might be the easiest thing to do, unless you have to spend time in Boston for some other reason.

I know American Eagle has regular service from Bangor to Boston; I don't remember who runs Portland-Boston.
Old June 7, 2012, 08:12 PM   #4
carguychris

Another possibility is flying out of Providence, RI. It's usually cheaper, more efficient, and more pleasant anyway because they have Southwest.

You may also consider shipping the guns ahead of time, if someone you trust lives near your destination. It's not considered an illegal interstate transfer if they don't "take delivery" of the package- i.e. open the box. Hunting lodges and guide services do this routinely for incoming guests.
Old June 7, 2012, 08:22 PM   #5
MLeake

Is Providence any more gun friendly than Boston? I had thought they'd be pretty equivalent.
Old June 7, 2012, 09:44 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I used to visit a friend in RI regularly about ten years ago and at that time RI was just about as bad as MA. I don't think the laws have changed since then, but I haven't made any effort to follow it closely since my friend moved south.

I would second the suggestion to either fly out of Portland or Bangor with the guns checked through to the final destination, or just ship the gun(s) to yourself at your friends' address. It is completely legal to ship guns to yourself (UPS or FedEx, you can't mail handguns unless you're an FFL, and although you can legally mail long guns many post offices don't know it). The only caveat is that your friends cannot (legally) open the guns -- only you can open the package(s).

Flying, eh? Your tough -- I won't deal with the TSA unless I'm flying internationally. I've told my wife if we go anywhere in the U.S. I'll drive. If she wants to fly, I'll drop her at the airport and meet her at the other end.
Old June 7, 2012, 10:26 PM   #7
mtuchris

The manchester nh airport would be no hassle as long as you can find an affordable flight.
Old June 7, 2012, 11:00 PM   #8
MLeake

Pretty sure Southwest flies out of Manchester.

(Disclosure: I used to fly jets out of Boston, and still have family IVO Providence and Manchester. I would not personally wish to try to check guns at Boston or Providence, but then I never tried.)
Old June 7, 2012, 11:21 PM   #9
gunsmokeTPF

The People's Republic of North Korea would be more gun friendly than Boston.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; June 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old June 7, 2012, 11:26 PM   #10
kilimanjaro

Just ship 'em via UPS directly to yourself at the friends house the week before you leave. Go to your local dealer and pay him to box them up and ship, you will be glad you did, even with transfer paperwork if you have to.
Old June 8, 2012, 04:39 AM   #11
dayman

I'm staying with my brother in Boston for a couple days before I fly out. Also, for the specific dates and flight it was cheaper by about $3-400 to fly out of Boston than directly out of Maine (me, wife, kid) - in part because I have a card through American Airlines that give me free bags and whatnot.
It's not as if this is a hunting trip - I can always just not bring guns and borrow one from my friend. It's not like I can CC when I get there anyway.
Having them shipped out there ahead of time might work.
Thanks for all the info.