The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2012, 02:31 PM   #1
Maxx_Ammo

Im new to loading!! Help

Ok got the LNL AP mounted up and i think Im ready to attempt loading.. this is what Im considering loading.. please let me know your thoughts, concerns,and advice. Im using all bullseye to start with copper plated bullets.

.38 158gr-SWC/ cci 300 primers/ 3.5 gr Bullseye/ 1.44 AOL

.45acp 200gr- RN/ cci 300 primers/ 4.5 gr Bullseye/ 1.19 AOL

9mm 124gr-RN/ cci 500 primers/ 4.4 gr Bullseye/ 1.12 AOL
Old January 27, 2012, 02:56 PM   #2
praetorian97

Hi Maxx-Ammo,

Welcome aboard. Great group here. I've been reloading rounds for about a year now and have always found the people here very helpful.

Without checking a manual I cant say anything about your "recipes" below. But one suggestion I have is that you make small batches. Just in case you dont like this load and you want to make all kinds of different batches just so you have comparisons.
Old January 27, 2012, 03:16 PM   #3
Maxx_Ammo

Thnank.. I was planning about 20 rounds per to start until I find one I like and likes my weapon.
Old January 27, 2012, 03:44 PM   #4
MR-7-45

Check here http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...aspx?gtypeid=1 for Bullseye load recipes.

Last edited by MR-7-45; January 27, 2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old January 27, 2012, 03:44 PM   #5
chris in va

4.4 bullseye for 9mm lead is much too hot. Back off to about 3.4.

Remember, copper plated must be loaded as if they are bare lead.
Old January 27, 2012, 04:19 PM   #6
abber

Keep a log. Write down all your recipes, and make notes when you come home from the range. Any time I want to try a new load, I check to see if I have already tried it, and what I liked or didn't like about it. The comments section of my load data contains all the things I perceive about a given load.

How clean or dirty? How did it feel? Any signs of high pressure? How was the accuracy? What gun did I use? And on and on.....I try to do this as soon as I get home, or at least the next day while the range trip is still fresh in my mind.

I made my own data sheet in Excel, so I can print more whenever I want. I keep them in a binder on my supply shelf, tabbed for caliber. I have a plethora of powder measure micrometer data there as well. The point is, keep data. Don't try to remember everything, and your hobby will be more enjoyable.
Old January 27, 2012, 04:34 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

For the 9mm load my Lyman manual list that as a very near maximum load. The starting load is listed at 3.9 and a max of 4.5 grains. With a COL of 1.075 as a do not seat shorter than that or a spike in pressure can happen.

I would recomend starting the .38 spcl. using a listed starting load, and working up. Lyman list a starting load of 3.0 grains, and a max of 3.4 grains with a COL of 1.445 inches. .38 special is probably the esiest round to begin loading with.
Old January 27, 2012, 05:07 PM   #8
Maxx_Ammo

Thanks Guys.. Great INFO

Another dumb question .. I havethe Lymman 49th edition booK and I am not finding the exact bullet shape but I can find the correct weight. I am to look at lead data for the copper plated and how picky is the bullet sape (swc vs Rn)?
Old January 27, 2012, 06:05 PM   #9
serf 'rett

What brand copper plated bullet? Rainer? Berrys?

Think your 9mm may be a little hot for start loal.

My Lyman Pistol and Revolver shows 9mm data at:
125 JHP Bullseye 3.9 gns. start - 4.5 gns. max, 1.075 OAL, CCI500
125 Lead Bullseye 3.3 gns. start - 3.9 gns. max, 1.115 OAL, CCI500
Speer shows 124 TMJ with Bullseye at 3.9 start to 4.4 max, 1.135 OAL, CCI500

Alliant on-line guide shows 4.4 as the maximum charge for a Speer 124 grain bullet.

You should likely start with a lower charge as the 4.4 is shown to be a maximum.
Old January 27, 2012, 06:10 PM   #10
serf 'rett

Bullet shape can effect feeding.

Bullet shape can effect pressure.

Pressure can affect shooter and pistol.
Old January 27, 2012, 06:39 PM   #11
GroovyMike

4 grains bullseye for 9mm

4 grains bullseye for 9mm works well for me. I would start at 3.9 and see how they work for you. If that has no pressure issues try 4.0 and see if it groups better. Stop when you get pressure signs or accuracy gets worse. But don't go over book max!
Old January 27, 2012, 11:39 PM   #12
Maxx_Ammo

well loaded the .38 specials tonight .. my first loads .. and I want to say I LOVE this L-N-L AP .. this thing rocks..

Im goning to try 9mm tomorrow.. Im HOOKED!

thanks so much folks..
Old January 28, 2012, 09:26 PM   #13
Maxx_Ammo

AOL help !!

how critical if any to the saftey and ballastics is the AOL?

My situation:
Just loaded the following per the Lymann Manual-
124gr plated/rn- 3.5gr bullseye- cci500- and AOL is at 1.18 and it will not feed in my test pistol. can I tighten the aol uo to 1.045 as it shows in the manual under lead rn and not effect the c.u.p .. I guess what im asking is what effect will this have on the round doing so?
Old January 29, 2012, 06:26 AM   #14
mumbo719

Another vote that 4.4 gr of Bullseye is too hot.

3.8 gr Bullseye for plated 124gr RN with 1.135 COL

4.1 gr Bullseye for FMJ with a COL of 1.135

Both are accurate in my guns and cycle fine.
Old January 29, 2012, 09:04 AM   #15
Dave P

Your 45 acp is too short. This causes high pressure. Spec is 1.275"

(and to those that are confused, AOL is an internet service provider.)
Old January 29, 2012, 09:26 AM   #16
serf 'rett

Cartridge Overall Length can be critical. Generally speaking, the pressure increases when the bullet is seated deeper (there are exceptions), but you should know this from reading your manual. For example, there is some reason to believe that a number of the many 40S&W Kabooms have been caused by bullet setback; the lawman loads and unloads his pistol many times, with the result that the bullet is pushed deeper into the case. The impact of the bullet slamming into the feed ramp has caused setback and the Over All Length is shorter. The reduced powder space behind the bullet creates an overpressure situation when the cartridge is fired.
Old January 29, 2012, 10:01 AM   #17
Misssissippi Dave

Any time you shorten the overall length you are reducing the volume in the case below the bullet. This increases the pressure when the round is fired. When you can't find the exact load in a book for the bullet you want to load you can check the difference measuring the bullet you want to load compared to the overall length of the one in the book. An example is you want to load a FMJ bullet but only have data on a JHP with the same jacket. When measuring the JHP you might find it is .010 shorter then the FMJ. You can start your load with the OAL .010 longer. The point is, if the bullet is the same weight and the base shape and jacket are the same, you only need to make sure you are seating the base to the same depth. This is still a round you really need to start at the minimum load and slowly work up to and amount of powder that works.

The available volume in a case for powder is very important. That is why you want to make sure the crimp is correct to prevent set back of the bullet. If you seat the base of a bullet .020" deeper in pistol ammo you should reduce the starting load about 0.2 grains. The amount you have to reduce the powder will vary with the type of powder and the size of the case/caliber. This is the reason people are telling you the shorter OAL you need to use and the amount of powder should be less.

When the OAL is longer you can use a bit more powder as well. I like to error on the safe side and will go to a slower powder and start over working up a load when I get very close to top end loads. I generally load faster powders with lighter bullets and slower powders with heavier bullets. I also tend to use faster powders to load softer shooting loads. I like shooting soft shooting ammo when I plan to shoot a lot of rounds at a time. It is also more pleasant for a new shooter to fire soft shooting loads. The best part of loading your own ammo is you can tailor it for you and your needs.