The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 24, 2011, 10:26 PM   #1
Ya know

Upgradeable Bench Rest

Been looking at the Hart rests & the Sinclairs. Have sporter rifles rangeing from .22s to 30-06 & would like to zero them in & do longer range shooting at paper w. the rest. Not into benchrest rifles, but might one day. Any opinions on these 2 brands would be helpful.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:09 AM   #2
GURU1911

Any shooting products marketed by sinclair, will never be a decision you will regret. Have been using their products to hot-rod bolt action hunting rifles with awesome results. Spend your $$$$ with confidence & trust.

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old May 25, 2011, 11:49 PM   #3
Ya know

Upgradeable Benchrest

Appreciate the comeback GURU1911. I've read a lot of good on the Sinclairs. I just have not read a lot about the Harts. If I can't verify the Hart is a better buy for the $ I'll prbly go w. a Sinclair. They have the Generation II & the Generation II All-Purpose. It'd be nice to get some opinions on these two. They don't have windage but I don't think I really need it as I'm not shooting in competition. Just doing it for fun. I just wanna see what my rifles are doing & what I can as well.
Old May 28, 2011, 01:49 AM   #4
Ideal Tool

Hello, YA know. I have been using a Hart since 1990, I have 'upgraded" it with a semi-custom windage adjustable top...I used the top from a Ransom..with quite a bit of customizing machine work done to suit my shooting needs. Also, kind of overkill..I replaced the original elevation screw with a 1" dia. Acme threaded one for greater stability and height adjustment. The body is cast-iron, & with my modifications, this is one very heavy and stable rest. I don't compete in bench-rest either, but do alot of load development, both cast & jacketed.
Old May 28, 2011, 01:58 AM   #5
Ya know

Upgradeable Benchrest

Thanks Ideal Tool. So, do you think it's better than a Sinclair, or 6 of 1, half-dozen of the other? I've read a ton on Sinclair but not much on Hart. Also, how about the finish? Does it hold up well? Powder coated? Attractive? No rust? Not scratch or chip easily? Are adjustments smooth & consistent?