The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 1, 2005, 05:11 PM   #1

Bullseye Shooting, Please Help

I love to shoot and really love to shoot rimfire and now I am wanting to try bullseye shooting. I currently have a Mark III awaiting customization. I live in Middle Tennessee and would like to know where to compete. Also if you can't help with that, pleas tell me what I need to do to prepare to this, pleas give me knowledge from personal experiences. Also some descriptions and links about the sport itself and the accuracy one should achieve to become proficient in this sport.

Thanks for any help,
Dave

www.ruger-firearms.com
www.smith-wesson.com
Old December 1, 2005, 06:33 PM   #2
losangeles

Check it out: http://www.bullseyepistol.com/
Old December 1, 2005, 07:12 PM   #3

I was actually just checking it out before I saw this reply. I need info on where to compete, and also if there are competitions that are for rimfire pistol only.

www.ruger-firearms.com
www.smith-wesson.com
Old December 2, 2005, 04:50 AM   #4
Tim R

Check with your state rifle pistol assoc.
Old December 3, 2005, 08:02 AM   #5
Tim R

I read your post again. I've been shooting indoor .22 for several years now. I shoot rifle much better by the way but it is cheap fun.

One thing to do is find out what .22 your pistol likes the best. You don't need to buy the most expensive either. I found my pistols, a Smith 41 and a Buckmark 5.5 Target will shoot CCI Standard to an acceptable level. CCI Standard goes off all the time which is important.

The 41 will shoot a little tighter with T-22 but there is too many duds. The Buckmark likes PMC Scoremaster the best but I can't get it here and the 41 won't run on it anyways.

Dot sight. You will need a dot sight which has a 4 MOA dot or less. There are a bunch out there that will work but I believe a good one is important.

I spend a lot of time working on the slow fire stage. Slow fire seems to make or break a guys score. The timed and rapid fire stages seem to come along Ok on their own as long as you can fire a good slow fire.

It takes a few years to come up to the top of the pile of shooters. Everyone starts at the bottom of the heap so to speak so don't get discouraged if there is some old guy smoking your shorts.

My own goal is to shoot 270's or better. I shot a 290 once in practice. It seems when the numbered targets go up my scores go in the dump. Numbered targets are the only ones we can turn in for the league.
Old December 4, 2005, 12:14 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...what I need to do to prepare to this..." Join a club that shoots NRA or ISSF(used to be ISU shooting.) matches. Preferably in one of the leagues Tim mentioned. They're usually scheduled matches between local clubs. Great fun. Other than that, you really don't need to do anything to prepare.
Yes, there are .22 only matches. Customization nor 'dot' sights are required.(real men stand on their hind legs and shoot with iron sights) Reliable ammo that shoots well in your pistol is.
As to where, look at Losangeles' link and contact your local NRA office.
You have their url. Here's the ISSF page. http://www.issf-shooting.org/
Have a look here too. Relax though, it's clubs affiliated with the U.S. Olympic team. Look at it as a place to shoot and don't worry about the Olympics. At least not right away.
http://www.usashooting.com/index.php