The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: would you buy one of these ?
yes 71 73.96%
no 25 26.04%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 19, 2006, 09:24 PM   #1
Renfield

Polish Model 64

Polish Makarov 64 9MM Makarov Caliber (9x18) $139.95 ( 2 or more... $129.95 ea.)
Unissued… Beautiful… and NEVER imported to the U.S. before! These are very rare pistols and are sure thing for collectors. These are new condition pistols in powerful 9x18 caliber.

RETAIL: $279.00
#SHG-P64
NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA

from http://www.southernohiogun.com/surplushandguns.html

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"
Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Orators are most vehement when their cause is weak" Marcus Tullius Cicero

Old June 20, 2006, 04:53 AM   #2
Teakwood

Blah Blah Blah
Old June 20, 2006, 06:40 AM   #3
Renfield

yeah I know..it isn't a Makarov just chambered in the Makarov caliber

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Old June 20, 2006, 01:13 PM   #4
jhgreasemonkey

The p64 has a very difficult first trigger pull. If you have strong hands then it wont be a problem. And so you are aware it is not a true makarov. It is a copy polish version. Other than those 2 its supposed to be reliable and sturdy. I have a hungarian pa63 9x18 makarov. It is a hungarian copy of the walther made by FEG. These copys are easy to find parts and accesories for. Makarov.com carries them. That one is preffered over the polish p64 by most and is the same price. I would go with that one but really for that price you cant kick yourself too much if you dont like it. If you get it let us know what you think. I have been thinking about picking one up.
Old June 20, 2006, 03:06 PM   #5
essexcounty

I know they aren't perfect ( trigger pull ) and so forth, but the last time I took my wife out to dinner it cost this much. Two cocktails, no wine. I see it as good value in today's market...........Essex
Old June 20, 2006, 06:03 PM   #6
kirkcdl

Trigger jobs on these are easy- http://p64.home.insightbb.com/main.htm -it makes the trigger a lot better,too...
Old June 20, 2006, 06:08 PM   #7
Wrangler5

I had a chance to try a P64 a few weekends ago. I was expecting a heavy DA pull from all I'd read, but I did NOT expect to be completely unable to set it off with my trigger finger alone. I couldn't believe it - I've never experienced anything like it in the 50+ years I've been shooting pistols. It took help from my other index finger to get the hammer to release on the first round. Single action pull was just fine, though, as most of the reports say. Recoil was much more unpleasant than a Makarov, almost as uncomfortable as my KelTec P3AT. I don't see myself practicing much with a P64 if I had one, which is why I don't have one - despite how cheap they are.

The spring replacement fix for this would be an absolute necessity if you're going to carry one. Supposedly that makes it into a fairly "normal" DA/SA gun.
Old June 20, 2006, 08:14 PM   #8
amd6547

The P64 is my low profile CCW pistol in a retail situation. Mine started with the heavy double action. While many switch out hammer springs, I have found that lubrication and use have lowered the pull to a very usable weight.
On the P64 board, a currently serving polish military officer stated that the heavy pull was intentional to deal with hard primered SMG ammo used in poland.
I much prefer the all steel construction of the P64 to the alloy frame FEG P63.
The P64 is also thinner and shorter--with a simple IWB clip-on holster, I find it conceals under just about anything--even a Tshirt.
Finally, I have about 200 rounds through mine, consisting of silver bear 115gn JHP's, hornady JHP's, and both fiocchi and S&B FMJ's without a single jam of any kind. With any of those rounds, I can hit a pop can at 25 yards with every shot.
My advise--buy one while you can, I believe these will go up in value when they are all sold.
Old June 21, 2006, 01:52 PM   #9
Renfield

does it feed hollowpoints reliably ?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Old June 22, 2006, 01:21 PM   #10
amd6547

I have fired silver bear 115gn JHP and Hornady JHP with no problems. In the mak caliber, I am satisfied with FMJ, in any case.
Old June 22, 2006, 01:26 PM   #11
Renfield

not me..I gotta have hollowpoints

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Old June 22, 2006, 08:18 PM   #12
SouthpawShootr

I've got 2. The most recently acquired was made in 1974. My first one was made in 1968. I like them, not as much as my East German and Bulgarian Makarovs though. They look to be well made. I paid $180 OTD for each. Just ordered a couple of Polish military holsters for them also. A gunsmith I use regularly thinks very highly of them (he's got several, one of which is his truck gun). Only real concern I have is parts availability.
Old June 22, 2006, 09:16 PM   #13
amd6547

Mine is also a 1974 model. It tickles me that the year I was getting my high school diploma, this pistol was brand new and unobtainable in America.
As for hollowpoints, in the mak, I like the penetration of the FMJ. I often carry it in my P64 and the CZ82 which has become favorite pistol.
Old June 20, 2007, 12:47 PM   #14
Tommy Vercetti

do any manufacturers make 9x18 Makarov caliber hollowpoints ?
Old June 20, 2007, 12:50 PM   #15
Manedwolf

Quote:
I have a hungarian pa63 9x18 makarov. It is a hungarian copy of the walther made by FEG. These copys are easy to find parts and accesories for. Makarov.com carries them. That one is preffered over the polish p64 by most and is the same price.
Not by me! The PA-63 is a horrid little snappy thing that's an excellent way to develop a bad flinch. It's like firing a high-caliber derringer. Least fun gun I've ever fired.
Old June 20, 2007, 02:33 PM   #16
Rimrod

kirkcdl, Thanks for that link. My son just bought one on his 21st birthday and when I tried it I knew that DA trigger had to go.

Then I just have to do something with those grips.
Old June 20, 2007, 02:49 PM   #17
Onapar

carry gun

I have had mine for a few years, A new sixteen pound hammer spring has made it perfect. Never a ftf or fte a clip on has made this my carry gun no matter what I wear it hides.
Get one while you can.
Old June 20, 2007, 03:32 PM   #18
Doyle

I've got one. After changing out the hammer and recoil springs it is now my favorite SD pistol. If I could get another one at that price, I'd jump on it like ugly on an ape. However, after paying shipping and transfer fee, it would bump the price up to more than I could justify.

Side note, if anybody in SW Florida has a P64 they want to unload at that kind of price, I'd love to do a FTF transaction.
Old June 20, 2007, 06:21 PM   #19
denfoote

Quote:
do any manufacturers make 9x18 Makarov caliber hollowpoints ?
Hornady is the only one I know of domestically.

95gr XTP.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...51361a7b3b2aba
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old June 20, 2007, 08:22 PM   #20
saands

You can also get JHP in several of the imported flavors (I know that Silver Bear makes them) ... some P64's don't like HP rounds our of the box, but all can be made to like them quite easily ... see the above link to a site with lots of P64 info. They are a great value and are just about the smallest import that has been let in the country in a long time...

Saands
Old June 20, 2007, 10:29 PM   #21
Black Adder LXX

I got one last weekend. Plan to switch out a couple of springs to ease felt recoil and DA pull. Easy and cheap to do. Check out the P64 forums

This gun fits my hand nice, too. I love the mag release on the bottom, the sturdy construction and the size. I'm going to make it work... I prefer the feel to many newer CCW pistols.
Old June 20, 2007, 11:01 PM   #22
oldbillthundercheif

I had one for a while. They are mean little bastards to shoot, but mine was 100% reliable with every flavor of 9x18 I could dig up (2 HP loads and half a dozen FMJ loadings).

I wouldn't pay more than $100 for one. Watch that the fingers and knuckles of your left hand are not too close to the muzzle when you shoot... it can feel like getting whacked with a ruler by a muscular nun.
Old June 21, 2007, 12:49 PM   #23
Jehzsa

Quote:
On the P64 board, a currently serving polish military officer stated that the heavy pull was intentional to deal with hard primered SMG ammo used in poland.
This is not only a classic, but also quite entertaining. SMG ammo through a P-64. Sure, why not! And stated by a military officer nonetheless. A fingerless/handless military officer I assume.

Just wondering, did anyone call it on him? Because that's as much crap as a keyboard can take.

SMG ammo. Yeah, right!
Old July 7, 2007, 08:30 AM   #24
Renfield

thanks guys..I'll buy one next time I see one

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Old July 7, 2007, 08:55 AM   #25
kirkcdl

Rimrod,here's a really good source for exotic grips:http://dnmars.43i.net