The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 21, 2004, 12:49 PM   #1
gburner

Need help with GEW98 rear sight mounting

When the mail came today there was a package from Numrich Arms; the GEW98 rear sight assembly that I ordered last week. All looks good, no rust or wear out of the ordinary. One little problem, though. The sight assembly is attached to a sight base which needs to be soldered onto the barrel. The barrel of my 98 already has the base on it. I need to remover the sight itself from the base that it came with and place it on the sight base already on my rifle. How do I accomplish this? Thanks.
Old January 29, 2005, 03:09 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

98 rear

Dear Shooter:
Unsolder the old bae on the barrel, and put the new one on; there will be a locating screw (?) to take out and re-insert in the new sight assembly?
Old January 29, 2005, 08:19 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

NO! You don't need to solder anything.

First, look at the sight base and you will see two holes (actually one crossways hole) at the front. See if there is a cross pin in the middle. If so, drive out the pin (either direction, it is a straight pin).

Then rest the rifle on a solid padded surface (or if you want, take the stock off and clamp the barrel in a copper jaw vise). Use a wood dowel or a soft rod to press down VERY HARD on the sight leaf at the very front. You will feel it move down. While pressing down HARD, push the leaf back, and it will pop out. If you look you will see that there are two round studs in the leaf that go under the two lugs on the sight base.

Then do the same to your replacement sight. Once the old leaf is removed, you insert the replacement leaf under the base lugs and press down and forward. Again, press HARD, that spring is a bear. When the new leaf is in place, put the pin back in.

Jim