The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 3, 1999, 05:20 PM   #1
swingcatt

AGI Videos, anyone looked at these? If so what did you think? Where they worth the money? Our club is getting ready to buy some and I would like to get some idea of what some people think about them. Could you please rate them on - tech (are they technical enough to keep you interested or do they just scratch the surface), thouroghness (do they cover the subject in question from end to end, backwards, forwards and inside-out?) and usefullness (is the information presented usefull to someone who wanted to work on their own firearm?) _SCatt
Old February 4, 1999, 10:43 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I've got AGI's FAL video. If you're not familiar with the FAL it's a good primer. But that's all I think it's good for. They showed basic takeddown, cleaning, some rebuilding etc.They only show one or two ways of doing things where I've seen other ways of doing the same things (that could be a regional difference though). I much preferred the ARS tape on the FAL. Much more detailed. He goes into detail on each variation of the FAL. The down side to the ARS tape is that the editing leaves quite a bit to be desired, as it is an amateur camcorder recording. But I didn't buy it for the motion pictue effects, I bought it for the technical information of which there is an abundance.

This could be an abberation but if it's indicative of the rest of the lineup I don't think I'd waste my money. Perhaps buy one tape and see if it's what you're looking for and then decide.

[This message has been edited by fal308 (edited 02-04-99).]
Old February 6, 1999, 02:56 AM   #3
Ivanhoe

I have the AGI video for Glocks.
basically a waste of money.

technical content; D
thoroughness; D
usefulness; D

of course, I got the Wilson video for the
Glock as well, and it is even worse.

for maintenance, mechanical functioning,
and disassembly, I rely on Kasler's
book on the Glock.

Old February 6, 1999, 02:17 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Robert Dunlap is the fellow who shows up on those AGI tapes. He's one of those old timers who can really work on Colt Pythons. While he is very knowledgeable and has years of teaching at Lassen College (& the NRA Summer Schools) behind him, I am very skeptical of how-to tapes which are only 90 minutes in duration. In all fairness, I have yet to view a tape.

Any NRA class would run about 1 week long (over 40 hours) and to expect a video to give you the equivalent in training is not realistic. Besides, the camaraderie of crawling around the floor looking for a lost part can't be enjoyed on video. Maybe the classes were 30 hours of crawling and 10 hours of gunsmithing. More seriously, Small Arms of the World will tell you how to disassemble virtually any gun out there and I'd rather buy a Jerry Kuhnhasen book or go back to school than buy a video.
Old February 7, 1999, 08:06 PM   #5
JA

I guess I'm just a irnorant rednek but have sks and ak tapes lurned a lot I not knowed before thunk was worth the money had to sell favorite goat to get money. The sks and ak tapes went into how and why the firing mechanism worked. The relationship between the hammer/sear/disconnector was pretty detailed. So now I know how and why sks and ak work.