The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 7, 2013, 09:46 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Mauser G41-M

I have a buddy who has one of these very rare semi auto bolt charging Mausers. He would like to have the bayonet lug to make it complete. I know little to nothing about the weapon. Has anyone ever seen a bayonet lug for a Mauser G41-M? Seeing as it was more of a prototype would it have had a bayonet lug? Im working on getting some pictures but nothing yet. Any information would be greatly appreciated. He is asking that I help him find a lug or make one for him. Without the specs its going to be tough. I dont want to destroy the value or historical significance of the gun.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 7, 2013, 09:53 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

There are pictures on the web, and appear to show a standard K98-style bayonet lug.

If your friend is looking to sell this critter, I don't think the lack of a bayonet lug is going to be that huge of an impediment.

These critters can easily bring close to, if not over, $10,000.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 7, 2013, 09:54 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

And here.

Google images.

https://www.google.com/search?q=maus...MsyC0QHT2IDwDw

OK, this write up says that the guns used a standard bayonet lug.

http://world.guns.ru/rifle/autoloadi...e/g41-m-e.html

Old May 7, 2013, 11:08 AM   #4
BoogieMan

Where can I get a standard bayonet mount? It looks as if there may be some mods around the gas system.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 7, 2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

If it is a standard K98 mount/endcap assembly, any company that sells Mauser parts on the internet should have, or know where to get, one.

I believe, however, those parts are serial numbered to the original gun.

How about some pictures of your friend's gun?

Old May 7, 2013, 01:25 PM   #6
tahunua001

numrich arms is a good place to go, sometimes they get original issue parts but mostly it's current production, they'll usually give you two different options if they have both available.
sarco may have them but I've heard bad things.
liberty tree collectors might have new production or original surplus but their prices can be a bit steep once you figure in shipping and such.
Old May 7, 2013, 06:44 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Weaver, in Hitler's Garand, says that the G.41(M) bayonet lug takes the standard K.98k bayonet, but "the lug itself is not interchangeable with the K.98k lug." Pictures appear to confirm that.

Jim
Old May 8, 2013, 06:00 AM   #8
BoogieMan

Quote:
Weaver, in Hitler's Garand, says that the G.41(M) bayonet lug takes the standard K.98k bayonet, but "the lug itself is not interchangeable with the K.98k lug." Pictures appear to confirm that.

Jim
I am pretty sure thats correct just by looking at the pictures. The lug itself is the same, meaning that any bayonet that fits a K98 lug will also fit the G.41. But the lug is mounted to the rifle different than a K98
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 8, 2013, 07:01 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

Dang. I thought it was the same nosecap assembly.

Old May 8, 2013, 02:07 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just FYI, they made only about 12,700 of those rifles and it is estimated that less than 2000 survive. They were not liked, mostly because of the weight, which ran to 11 1/2 pounds. It was also very complex and difficult to keep clean. The odd operation, with a bolt handle, was not especially liked. In several respects, the German army specifications were not well considered, especially that there be no hole in the barrel and that the rifle must be able to operate as a bolt action if the gas system fails. The former requirement seems to have been common military thinking at the time, as it was also imposed by the U.S. Army on John Garand, the result of which was the "gas trap Garand".

The Wikipedia article on the G.41(M) is incorrect in saying that it uses the Bang system. It does not. The Bang rifle used a piston that was pulled forward by the gas, and was attached by a wire to a pivot in the receiver. The pivoting arm threw back the cover, which operated as the bolt carrier. The G.41(M) and G.41(W) both used a piston around the barrel attached to an operating rod. The G.41(M) used a rotating bolt which was unlocked by the carrier; the Walther used "flap" type locking lugs moved outward to lock when the carrier went forward.

I have been fortunate enough to have fired both rifles. The Mauser seemed awkward and heavy, though the extra weight reduced felt recoil considerably. It was very well made, with forged and machined parts, and that one had a beautiful finish. The Walther rifle, the G.41(W), though it had stamped parts and looked rougher, seemed more user friendly, but that may have been because I was used to the G.43, which was a modification of the G. 41(W). When the Mauser G.41(M) was finally rejected, the (W) and (M) were dropped and the Walther rifle became the G.41.

Jim
Old May 10, 2013, 10:18 AM   #11
BoogieMan

I have never seen one of these rare rifles in person. I am looking forward to the owner bringing it by. Ultimately I want to modify a stock Mauser lug so that it can be fit to the G.41. I have no intention of modifying his rifle in any way.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 10, 2013, 03:32 PM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

There were two of those in the collections of the Pennsylvania State Museum and historical commission, part of a very large collection of WW II firearms donated by the 28th Infantry Division after the war.

Unfortunately, everything had been demilled...