The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2013, 12:17 PM   #1
armoredman

Wish I had a hardness tester...

I finally found a cast load that works in my semi-auto vz-58. Using the excellent NOE 314 129gr mold, hard lubed in a homebrew of alox and beeswax from a good buddy of mine, using a mysterious alloy gifted from a benchrest shooter...and it works well with no leading.

The projectile, (old picture, lubed with LLA, hard lubed looks much better),

The target,

I think I can get good longer range accuracy with this one...but I have no way of knowing what this magical "mix" is...when it's gone, it will be a bummer day.
Old May 8, 2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Beagle333

pm sent on this.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old May 9, 2013, 04:29 PM   #3
armoredman

Thank you, I appreciate it. Did some more work with this bullet today, and once again - no significant leading on the gas piston face or in the gas piston tube. Actually, I couldn't see anything from today! I asked Seafab, the local metals suppliers, but for testing it's $100 and they need a sample of significant size, more than what I have left. I'll take a look at a couple of options I have received via PM - thank you!