The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 23, 2011, 06:01 PM   #1
LaCane

Help with eotech 552

Recently got a used Eotech Holographic 552 site for my DSA 58 Carbine. I don't know what it was on before, but I can't even hit paper at 25 yds. Not real familiar with scopes in general, so some basic help appreciated. Just got back from the range today. Is there some basic start point with these things? Reading the online owners manual was not much help. I can understand the 1 click = x distance, but should there be some starting point?I finally got disgusted and went back to iron sights and everything was good...but I would like to get my Eotech right. Thanks for any help.
Old October 23, 2011, 06:15 PM   #2
Eghad

Might want to back that target down to 10 to 15 yards and see where it is hitting or put up a big piece of paper behind the target.

Another trick is dropping the lower assembly remove the bolt and support the upper assembly in something. Sight the bore on a target. Look through the Eotech and see where it is pointing vs. where the bore is pointing. align the Eotech where the bore is pointing. This will get you on paper.

I also have some of the cartridge inserts with a laser pointer in them that I use to bore sight the optic on the supported rifle to get it on paper.

NRA Life Member
Old October 24, 2011, 05:59 PM   #3
Arizona Smithshooter

If your iron sights co-witness with the EOTech, set the dot on top of the front sight post. If that isn't possible do as other have suggested...move closer and shoot a bigger target.

Is there any damage that indicates that it may have been dropped? You might send EOTech an E-mail and as how you can return it to it's original zero point.

Just found this on the EOTech web site:

How do I mechanically zero my sight?

This exercise is identical to setting up any scope on a firearm. Simply mount this on the rail securely and use the windage and elevation adjustments on the sight to zero the optic at a specific range. The sight has 40 MOA (Minutes of Angle) of travel in every direction from center. This means a complete range of 80 MOA from extreme left to the extreme right range of adjustment. The same range of adjustment is true for the elevation; so 80 MOA from top to bottom.
Since each click or adjustment of the shaft moves the reticle .5 (or 1/2) an MOA, that means there are 160 clicks from extreme left to extreme right (same for top to bottom).
To re-zero the sight, adjust the reticle to one end of the extreme (left or right). You will feel a sudden resistance and a limitation in your ability to move the shaft once you reach the extreme. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ADJUST THE SHAFT IN THE SAME DIRECTION. This will result in a seizure of the windage or elevation shafts, and cause the sight to be inoperable.
Once at that extreme, turn the shaft in the opposite direction 80 clicks. This will move the reticle 40 MOA back to center. Complete the same process for the elevation (top to bottom) and the sight will be re-zeroed.

http://www.eotech-inc.com/product-faqs

Last edited by Arizona Smithshooter; October 24, 2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old October 26, 2011, 09:14 AM   #4
plumbercrack

boresight laser

I have found a boresight laser is a good thing to have. Face it ammo ain't cheap these days and it prevents you from taking apart your rifle and looking down the bore. I use one on my Yugo SKS every time I put it back together as there are no factory rails on these rifles and my mount is on the rear cover. Try this one as it is inexpensive and fits in your rifle like a bullet. Face it you already spent enough on your scope.

http://www.gunstuff4you.com/product/59946