The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 15, 2009, 06:38 AM   #26
roy reali

Birdshot?

Try birdshot out of a 12 gauge. After all, if it can drop a mountain lion almost instantly, a dog wouldn't stand a chance.
Old September 15, 2009, 09:31 AM   #27
drrpg01

Neck and shoulder are generally ineffective shots. Chest shots are only immediately effective if you hit something that causes very rapid blood loss. Ammo is a factor too, especially penetration. Critical organs are not all that superficial for good reason. Shot placement is still key. Look up an anatomy drawing of a dog, find the heart or liver, aim for that next time, and see what happens. With a good shot here, they might stagger around for a bit, but shock will set in soon enough that their ability to put up much of a fight should become pretty ineffective. Honestly, an animal's physiology (including humans) is capable of more rebound than most people realize. We're used to seeing people get shot on tv and fall over dead immediately. There's a reason that someone can be pulled from a mangled car accident and make it to the ER alive - animals are pretty resilient. That's just the difference between reality and tv.

Last edited by drrpg01; September 15, 2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old September 15, 2009, 11:06 AM   #28
hardluk1

Use a 12ga shotgun-full chock with 4b or 1b and the dogs can be rolled at 50 yards.
Old September 15, 2009, 11:44 AM   #29
carguychris

Quote:
The problem was the FMJ's. Honestly, in your situation I wouldn't have used the hollowpoints either. Really one of the best can be a .22 lr from a rifle to the head.
+1. On that topic, .22Mag would be even better. .17HMR would be better still if the ranges are under ~125m; it shoots flat as a laser beam at that range, but the little bitty bullets lose lots of energy at long range, so I don't know if I'd want to use one on a large stray dog farther than that.

The main problem with .17HMR is that I'd want a rifle capable of lightning-quick follow-up shots, but the round is no longer recommended for use in semi-automatics (see recent TFL thread), and I'm not sure if lever-actions like the Henry Varmint Express are readily available outside of North America. OTOH I'm not sure if .22Mag and/or .17HMR ammo is available either, so this may all be moot.
Old September 15, 2009, 12:00 PM   #30
GeauxTide

44 Mag or Rifle

If you're placing ok at 50 yards, running, you're a fine shot. As mentioned many times, the bullet is the key. I'd use a High Velocity 22LR with HP on the dogs. I'd pack my 44 Mag on the Big 4 Hunt.
Old September 15, 2009, 12:07 PM   #31
Claude Clay

Bad Dog

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life