The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 3, 2006, 07:42 AM   #1
dbuffington

Fabrique Nationale Side-by-Side?!?

Hi Folks!

I've come upon a Fabrique Nationale (a.k.a., FN, Browning) side-by-side 12 gauge shotgun for sale.

It's a sidelock with a splinter forend in worn but original condition. I've been able to learn a bit about it ... built in the 1930s ... but not much more.

Anyone have any insight into this good looking gun?

Thanks!
Dave
Old November 3, 2006, 09:24 PM   #2
johnbt

Only what's in this ad and it's a boxlock. Restored and reblacked: $1795

FABRIQUE NATIONALE - HERSTAL, BELGIUM. Double Gun. Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre SXS shotguns are very rare, indeed they are not even listed in most gun books. because of their long association with Browning very few of their fine shotguns ever came to these shores, a pity. This fine example is a 12 ga. 2-3/4”chambers, SxS, top-lever hammerless box lock Ejector gun with 30” barrels choked Mod & Improved Mod. This gun weighs a mere 6-3/4 lbs with line border engraving on the fenced action. Shows a 14-1/4' LOP to a beautiful Polished HORN Butt Pad. Stock is checkered English Straight style with splinter fore-end and has been re-oiled. Has a Greener Cross-bolt locking mechanism, creating an inherently strong action. This beautifully crafted 1930's firearm has been professionally restored and re-blacked, and inside the bores remain bright. With today's improved loads available this fine quality gun would make an excellent field piece, and is light enough to carry all day long as a field gun. You can be the only kid on the block with one of these in your gun cabinet.
Old November 4, 2006, 07:17 AM   #3
dbuffington

And this one is a sidelock, which to me at least is even prettier. But the seller wants $1,000 for it, which to me at least is just too much
Old November 4, 2006, 08:49 AM   #4
johnbt

Prettier, and more valuable (usually.)

Here's the pic that goes with the ad.

John