The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 9, 2013, 11:21 PM   #1
lefkosia

Water Gun

I need opinions on what it the best gun to carry when on or in the water. It will be used when canoeing, boating, camping etc. This gun will be submersed and may stay in the water for some time. All opinions are welcome and appreciated. I would like opinions on type and caliber and whatever else you feel is important. Thanks in advance.
Old June 10, 2013, 12:26 AM   #2
Jim243

Unless I am mistaken (it happens) there is a Federal law against firing a firearm across open bodies of water.(seas, streams and lakes)

What you are asking may be illegal?

Jim
Old June 10, 2013, 02:09 AM   #3
Tejicano

Maybe it would help to clarify this a bit.

Are you expecting to have this "at the ready" while in the water or just stowed away while in the boat or vessel but have it out and availible once you have made camp?

Could it be stowed in something waterproof (with some chance that it might leak) or do you expect that it will be constantly exposed to the elements?

Also, salt water or fresh water?

I would be inclined to go with something like a stainless steel, big bore revolver - like a Taurus. A 6" barrel, 44 Mag might be good - you could carry shot shells if snakes might be expected as well. Sounds like there is some chance of it getting lost so price might be a factor.
Old June 10, 2013, 06:21 AM   #4
45_auto

Your signature says you have a Glock 23. Chuck Taylor left his Glock in the ocean for 6 months and it worked perfectly when they took it out. What more are you looking for?

Quote:
The gun would be left on the seabed for one-month increments, after each of which it would be retrieved, rinsed in fresh water, disassembled, examined and then returned to the sea. A total of six months was decided upon, since it was December, 1999 and I was in Hawaii teaching and would return for another class with Arnold and some U.S. Navy SpecWar personnel the following June (June, 2000). The next day, I arranged for a friend of mine who was a diver to administer the program and we were off and running.

Six months later, I returned as described above and found the gun to be relatively unscathed even though, other than the five times it was rinsed in
fresh water and examined, it had spent the last six months at the bottom of the Pacific.

I joined a friend of mine who in addition to being a serious shooting enthusiast is also an expert diver. I donned a wetsuit, SCUBA gear, the test Glock holstered around my middle, my dive camera hanging from my neck and boarded a towed sled behind his Jet Ski.

The net result of all of this was that the Glock, which was equipped with an underwater firing pin kit, worked fine...even submerged. Using 9mm 115 and 124-grain ball ammunition, not a single malfunction was noted, which stimulated my mind even more.

Upon rinsing it in fresh water and detail-stripping it, we determined that virtually nothing had happened. Other than some almost microscopic rusting on the slide release lever and a small pit on the edge of the top of the slide, the pistol was completely intact.
Old June 10, 2013, 10:39 AM   #5
lefkosia

Freshwater and I will have it on me and am not shooting across a body of water. I float and camp and prefer to carry it on me as the canoe may get away sometimes.
Old June 10, 2013, 12:56 PM   #6
dayman

Personally I use an otter-box. I keep the otter-box in my pack which is attached to a float. If my canoe ever goes down I'm going to want to have a bit more than a handgun when I make it to the shore.

But, if it's got to be on you I'd second the stainless revolver idea - .357 or .44 mag depending on what sort of critters might be walking by. You could even duracoat it to add another level of rust resistance.

I say revolver only because they are generally less prone to jamming, and there are no magazines to fill up with water.
If you could find a reliable charter/taurus all the better - you'll be out less money if it ever sinks.
Old June 10, 2013, 01:32 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

A simple and effective way to carry a handgun in and around water is to insert it into a Zip-Loc freezer bag. Some guns can even be fired inside the bag if necessary. The bag adds neither bulk nor weight, and can be inserted into a holster or any other piece of gear.

Jim
Old June 10, 2013, 02:46 PM   #8
csmsss

Nothing wrong or (usually) illegal with keeping a firearm on a boat. Shark fisherman frequently keep a .22 aboard for dealing with their quarry. Other salt water fisherman who go offshore keep a Mossberg marine shotgun onboard, as do many sailors who do overnight stays in unfamiliar waters. There are a lot of folks out on the water of less than reputable disposition, and help may be many miles away.
Old June 10, 2013, 02:48 PM   #9
csmsss

Quote:
A simple and effective way to carry a handgun in and around water is to insert it into a Zip-Loc freezer bag. Some guns can even be fired inside the bag if necessary. The bag adds neither bulk nor weight, and can be inserted into a holster or any other piece of gear.
It's not a bad idea to attach this to a life preserver just in case. Wouldn't want to see it dropping to the bottom if it somehow fell out of the boat.
Old June 10, 2013, 03:26 PM   #10
buffalo

There is nothing illegal with having a gun on a boat,we always had a gun on our boats when I was a kid,sometimes to finish off a shark that we caught. If it was me i'd get a Glock or a revolver that has been duracoated or has a similar finish to protect it more,i'd probably lean more towards the Glock though. I had a Glock on my last boat in salt water and it did fine,i just cleaned it after we got home each time to be safe.
Old June 10, 2013, 03:38 PM   #11
RodTheWrench

Glock. Period.

I'd get one of those lanyard hookups for it, just so it doesn't accidentally find itself at the bottom due to being jarred out of the holster.

HTH
Old June 10, 2013, 03:57 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

"There is nothing illegal with having a gun on a boat..."

There could be. If your boat is in, say, New York Harbor, and you have a handgun aboard that is not registered in New York, you could be arrested, same as having it in a car. Just being on a boat in national waters does not exempt you from the laws of the country or local jurisdiction. International waters is a different story, but AFAIK there is no way to get to international waters without first being in some country's national waters.

Jim
Old June 10, 2013, 04:03 PM   #13
Sweet Shooter

Nothing smaller than .357 in my opinion. And a Stainless S&W or Ruger for sure.

http://youtu.be/uMbnmLLnsfw
Old June 10, 2013, 04:08 PM   #14
RodTheWrench

Ok, .357 SIG in a Glock. Both problems solved.
Old June 10, 2013, 06:03 PM   #15
fshfindr

For years I carried the cheapest 12 gauge that I could get. Bolt action, single shot, many years ago I think I paid about $25 for it. I retired from the water a few years ago and and gave it a burial at sea. It now sleeps in the deepest channel in The Del Bay.
Old June 10, 2013, 07:27 PM   #16

I'd go with the Glock for extended immersion and exposure to 'unfriendly' environments. It's about as 'dishwasher safe' a pistol as you can get.
Old June 10, 2013, 07:37 PM   #17
Dragline45

Whatever you choose I would probably go with a chest rig vs belt carry, much less chance of it even touching water when wading through.
Old June 10, 2013, 09:40 PM   #18
ClydeFrog

If it were me...

I'd check your area's Fish & Wildlife Service or Game Commission/Parks & Rec about the firearm laws or carry requirements.
I'd add that these sites are great gun law resources; www.knifelawsonline.com www.gunlawguide.com www.mylegalheat.com www.nra.org www.handgunlaw.us .
As for a marine grade sidearm or carry pistol, Id buy a used, good quality Beretta M9, 92F, 92FS, 96/96D Brigader then get it treated with Robar NP3+, Bearcoat, Metalife SS C, Black-T or maybe CeraKote. You can get the spare magazines treated too with a price break, .
www.bearcoat.com www.robarguns.com www.black-t.com
A Glock compact or duty size pistol(17, 22, 34, 35, 21, etc) could be smart pick.
I'd add a after market Glock plug with a lanyard loop. They can fit in the small gap in the Glock grip.
A Beretta 92/96 with a pistol leash or a Glock with a plug can do fine for canoes or small boats.
I'd also suggest the nylon Bianchi UM92II holster for either semi auto pistol.
This holster is based on the Bianchi milspec M12 rig(for the M9 9mmNATO).
You can tote your Glock or used 92F/96F regular carry, shoulder holster, tanker-chest, SAS/drop leg, cross-draw).

ClydeFrog
www.uscav.com www.blackhawk.com www.natchezss.com www.gunsamerica.com www.jgsales.com www.midwayusa.com www.brownells.com www.policehq.com www.glockstore.com www.glockbooks.com www.galls.com
Old June 10, 2013, 11:10 PM   #19
Sweet Shooter

How well are these fancy SA's going to cycle in water? 686 all the way.
-SS-
Old June 11, 2013, 09:31 AM   #20
mete

HK made an auto for underwater use that was sealed but you had to return to factory to reload it !!
Old June 11, 2013, 09:56 AM   #21
AK103K

I always just carried what I normally carry, with the addition of a lanyard. If you canoe or kayak, and have gone in, you probably know how the river tends to take things that arent secured to you.

Personally, Id take an auto over a revolver, as I think they would be easier to maintain in the field. Ive gone into a muddy river on a couple of occasions wearing my old Commander, and later on, a field strip, good rinse in clean water, dry and relube, and youre back in business. These days its a Glock, but the routine would be the same. A small can of WD40 and a small tube of lube along in a baggie, can have lots of uses.

Baggies work too, but keep in mind, they can also have condensation issues and hold moisture just as well as repel it, so if you go that route, Id keep an eye on things. Leather is also not a good idea, and kydex is much more water friendly.
Old June 11, 2013, 10:15 AM   #22
lamarw

Here is a possibility and not a recommendation. You could carry an inexpensive Polish Flare Gun in 26.5 mm. (Old War Surplus) You can still obtain flares for them or you can buy a sub-caliber device in 12 gauge for flares available in Walmart or most marine stores. Then there are also sub-caliber devices for .22 rimfire, 38 caliber and one which handles .45 Colt/.410 gauge for turning it into a single shot firearm. The neat thing is you can buy all the components to include the flare gun and never have to use an FFL. Although, you will have to treat the flare gun as a firearm once the .22, .38 and/or .45C/.410 sub-caliber devices are added to it. Not so when the .12 gauge sub-caliber flare adapter is added. Check out this link: http://kennesawcannon.com/?gclid=CIe...FfHm7AodWFwACQ

The negatives are it is made of steel and will require protection/cleaning. It is also a single shot. It is a point and shoot unless you devise a sighting mechanism for it.

I live on the water and have one. Here is a pictures of the one I often keep available in my boats:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flare Gun 1.jpg (246.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Flare Gun 2.jpg (241.6 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by lamarw; June 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old June 11, 2013, 11:09 AM   #23
csmsss

An exceptionally rare occurrence, mind you, but this is one reason shark fisherman like to keep bang sticks and other firearms on board:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/11...est=latestnews
Old June 11, 2013, 11:19 AM   #24
lamarw

Hope this ^ doesn't happen to lefkosia while they are canoeing.
Old June 11, 2013, 08:31 PM   #25
s4s4u

Quote:
Federal law against firing a firearm across open bodies of water.(seas, streams and lakes)
So much for duck hunting.....