The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 10, 1999, 12:33 PM   #1
Rich G

I just bought a Colt HBAR and saw some spots on the stock which seems to be gun oil,it is a new gun. I did not think much of it and took it home and proceeded to clean it with alcohol prep pads but it is not removing the stains. These stains are dark and as I said seems to be solvent or oil, how can I remove them ?
Old July 10, 1999, 04:54 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Rich, I have no idea. Maybe a degreaser that wouldn't harm the stock. I'm just not sure what that might be. George
Old July 10, 1999, 09:45 PM   #3
Rich G

Well in the past I have viewed Alcohol as one of the best degreasers you can try. There are other things out there but I am afraid of damaging the stock. I know the plastic will hold up but how about the color ? I don't want to end up with white blotches all over it.
Old July 10, 1999, 11:05 PM   #4
Mikey

Rich G,

My Colt MT6700 HBAR had the same problem. I got some good advice from the guys on the AR-15 web site so I'll pass it on...

Forget the ge-greasing. The rough finish on the stock won't let it work. Instead, just make the rest of the stock match! The products mentioned for this were WD-40, Trim & Tire Protectant (Armor-all) and Silicone spray.

I tried the silicone first and it did OK but the results didn't last. Might have if I had kept at it for a while. Then I used the T&T Protectant - wow - worked great! Just spray it on and rub it down - it is plastic after all.

Mikey