The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 14, 2009, 11:01 PM   #1
jettydog

Browning BLR Lever .308 Trigger Problem

I purchased a Browning BLR SS in .308 from Cabella's Gun Library. Took it to the range today and had some firing problems. Hammer not dropping or, Hammer stopping prior to hitting the firing pin. This happens intermittently.
I'm leaving for TX Thursday and was planning on do some hog hunting.
I squirted some WD-49 in the trigger area which seemed to help some but did not fix completely. Any one know what might be causing this problem?
I have other guns but was looking forward to using the lever BLR.
Old June 16, 2009, 02:24 PM   #2
john323

Browning BLR Lever .308 Trigger Problem

Does that model have a cross bolt safety? It could be loose or you might be accidently pushing it....Clean and lube lightly....if you can find Kroil use that instead of WD40.....I'm in So Cal so unable to look at it for you [email protected]
Old June 16, 2009, 03:30 PM   #3
jettydog

Thanks,
No cross bolt safety. It has the folding hammer for safety.
I did spray some WD-40 and it helps some but fails to drop the hammer approx 50% of the time. I'm taking it back to Cabella's today to see what they can do. Still heading for TX hog hunting on Thursday. Was wondering if my Marlin 44 Mag lever gun will be enough also bringing a S&W 460.
Old June 16, 2009, 04:28 PM   #4
pilothunter

Your Marlin 1894 .44 mag should be fine for all but the very largest boars. Should you run into a 400 pounder, simply whack him in the neck close to the ear, as the protective shield on a really large boar hog could stop a .44 (SP). Smaller hogs should be a piece of cake, but I'd recommend you use SP not HP ammo. Good luck and hope you bring home some BBQ!