The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 8, 2004, 02:52 PM   #1
IDAHOGUNS

Remington 725, Need Safety

I Am Looking For A Safety For The Remington Model 725; Or A Safety That Will Replace The Original.
Old December 8, 2004, 05:17 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

As you know, that 725 safety was rigged up to look like the Model 1917 safety that was used on the Remington 30 and 720, but it actually works differently. I have checked a couple of parts sources (as you probably have also) and have come up empty. There were less than 10,000 of those guns made, and parts are scarce.

I would write (not call or e-mail) Remington and see what they advise, although it has been a long time since they made that gun. AFAIK, the safety system for the later guns won't work and cannot be modified.

Jim
Old December 8, 2004, 06:04 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I was thinking of one of those gunsmith conversions for the Rem to make it like a Mauser 98 safety. Perhaps that can be done instead?

I don't subscribe to Rifle magazine anymore but there was an ad in it for the conversion.
Old December 9, 2004, 10:20 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Good idea, Gary, but I don't recall any of those triggers being made for the 725. There just weren't enough of them for anyone to bother, and IIRC the receiver is different enough that the standard Remington 700 trigger group can't be installed.

Hi, IDAHOGUNS, can you describe what is wrong with that safety? I seem to recall that the thumbpiece is slipped onto a spindle, then peened. If the thumbpiece is loose, you may be able to fix it.

Jim
Old December 29, 2004, 11:05 PM   #5
IDAHOGUNS

Remington 725 Safety **found**

I Found A 725 Safety!!!!
It Is Installed And Works Fine.
Thanks Everyone That Replied With Suggestions.