The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 13, 2012, 12:48 PM   #1
wlkalong

Updating Triple K Holster and Gun Belt for CAS

Hoping somebody can help me out or point me to where I can get some help. I recently purchased two Triple K Cheyenne holsters, and a Triple K belt with cartridge loops. The belt is not a buscadero, it is just a straight belt.

I would like to cut two small slits in the top third of the belt, so I can hang the holsters through the slits, instead of over the top edge of the belt. I would make the slits at an angle so the holsters don't hang straight down and keep them from sliding around. My question, what do I have to do to make sure the edge of the slits does not tear from the weight of my pistols?

In addition, I would like to attach a suede back to the belt, to tighten it up a bit (my hip size is exactly between a medium and large belt size) and make it so it does not slip. Will the suede need to be sewn to the belt, or would gluing it work just as well?

Thanks for the help.
Old May 13, 2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Hawg

Even if you cut the belt at an angle the weight of the gun is going to make it hang straight down (cant fight gravity). You can use Chicago screws to keep it from sliding on the belt but to change the hang angle you will need to modify the holster. As for the suede, gluing will work for awhile but it really needs to be sewn or it will start to peel back from the edges.
Old May 17, 2012, 09:30 AM   #3
wlkalong

So do you see any problems cutting slits in belt to slightly lower the holsters, and keep them in place if I reinforce the edges around the slit?
Old May 17, 2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Hawg

You can do that but Chicago screws will hold it in place better and be unseen. Even when you take it off they will stay in the same spot. Slotting it wont give you enough drop to even notice unless you slot it so deep you ruin the belts integrity.
Old May 22, 2012, 12:57 PM   #5
jrussellleather

I would attach a piece with slots cut in them as far as the lining glue alone will not work it will peel from the edges down the road stitching is required

first attach via sewing the 2 drop down panels on the outside of the belt then to cove up stitching first glue with contact cement on both lining and attached piece let them dry 45 to 50 min and then apply the 2 pieces being careful at this point there's no removing once there touching most important part of gluing is letting contact cement sit at 50 min before putting them together