The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2010, 01:36 PM   #1
jclayto

Anyone found a good load for the .38 LCR?

Lately I've been using ranier 125 flat points over 3.5grn of titegroup, 1.45" oal. It's working ok, but definitely not the most accurate ammo I have fired from this gun. The loads feel really light, but 3.8 is max for my plated bullet data in my lee book and I am not sure .3 grn will make much of a difference.

What have you folks found to work well in the LCR?

I also have bullseye powder on hand, but for some reason my book has no bullseye data for 125grn plated bullets. It has the data for lead and jacketed. I have always been told to load plated bullets to lead specs but since my manual specifies plated loads I assume there is some reason not to run bullseye on plated?
Old December 19, 2010, 02:10 PM   #2
testuser

Bullseye works great for plated bullets. I've used it for plated .38 Special and .45 Auto Rim. Reload a few using your lead load data and see how it goes. I also like Power Pistol for standard to +P .38 Special.
Old December 20, 2010, 05:33 PM   #3
SuperDuty

I've found that 3.5 gr. of WW-231 and a 150 gr. SWC bullet, Lyman 358477 to work great for me. Recoil is light and it groups great at 10 and 15 yards.
Old December 20, 2010, 05:54 PM   #4
spacecoast

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

Hodgdon shows 4.3 to 4.6 grains over an XTP bullet at standard pressure, I've used as much as 4.7 gr. of Titegroup over a 125 gr. Berry's plated bullet in a +P load, so you might want to work up to it gradually, start at 3.8 and go up from there. I can't imagine it being all that fun to shoot from the lightweight LCR.