The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 26, 2009, 07:58 AM   #1
roy reali

Coyote Plan?

There are some creatures that we plenty of around here. One of them is the coyote. I see one on the way from work everyday.

He is standing in the middle of this large field. The field is a big, flat, snow-covered area. Two roads run along its edges. There are dirt roads that criss-cross it. He does stand in the intersection of two of those dirt roads smack in the middle of the field. He is about two hundred yards from any of the edges.

I have never shot a coyote before. I have never really hunted for them. I would shoot one if I one crossed my path while I was out exploring, that just hasn't happened. I want to rectify this and I want to use this one to do so.

I am looking for an good ideas on how to approach this particular animal. He isn't there on the way to work, just around three in the afternoon as I am heading home. I need to get away from the main roads for legal and safety reasons. Should I stop along side the field and try to walk towards it or should I try driving closer using one of the dirt roads? Should I use someone else to drive him as I wait in the direction he should go? Is camo-colored clothing needed, or are they not affected by colors? Would some sort of call help?

Any ideas and strategy tips would be appreciated.
Old December 26, 2009, 10:19 AM   #2
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
If you're any kind of a shot 200 Yds. should be close enough ,unless you're using a rimfire or shotgun . Get too close and it won't be any fun . The guys I shoot coyote with like to stand off as far as possible . If you shoot long range coyotes in the winter , you can take a little longer shot at deer. This is especially true if your coyote gun and your deer gun are one and the same ! Save a fawn kill a coyote !!!
Old December 26, 2009, 10:24 AM   #3
ohioup

Coyotes have settled into my neighborhood over the past 25 years. It is pretty amazing how quickly they [re]colonized northern Ohio. I see them regularly.....a couple times closer than 20 feet at night around my place....that is spooky. I hear them more often than I see them. A large group of hunters from 10 miles north hunt my rural neighborhood a couple times a winter and aways take a half dozen or so in a day. I have no desire to hunt them personally, but I wouldn't hesitate to declare war if they became a nuisance to me. I've never lost a chicken to them but I imagine lots of barn cats became coyote food over the years. That said, I have no coyote hunting experience, so any suggestions I make come from my general hunting experience and understanding of [I]Canis latrans[I].

Around here coyote hunting is done most effectively with radio collared dogs and lots of hunters in vehicles armed with shotguns and most importantly, snow on the ground. Since the land is laid out in section and range manner, we have square mile blocks. When sign is found a dog is released, hunters spread out over several square miles and position themselves at likely road crossing points. As a dog tires, it is replaced. Finally the coyote tires enough to make a mistake and that is that. These guys get many many coyotes that way.....and this doesn't help you a bit.

Some folks use calls and hunt by night with all manner of cool hi tech equipment....but that doesn't help you with your coyote either.

It sounds like your daytime option is a 200yd shot. By the way, the coyote is watching you on your way home from work everyday so stopping your vehicle and getting out won't go unnoticed. You have to devise an ambush. Locate some places to shoot from which the coyote can't see you approach, think about your profile, wind and your scent and give it a go. Of course, the day you decide to take off from work, the coyote will come to his little dirt crossroad and miss seeing you come home from work and immediately change its habits. Good luck.
Old December 26, 2009, 10:43 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If you can turn off the highway onto a dirt road and stop, you might have a chance. Angle your vehicle so you can shoot from the window.

If you try a stalk on foot, you have to begin where Ol' Wily can't see you, and come from a direction such that the wind blows from him toward you--or at least crosswind.

Trouble is, if you shoot him, you don't get to see him anymore...
Old December 29, 2009, 05:09 AM   #5
10-96

Also, what is the general consensus of the land owners in the area? They may be inclined to call the law on ya if they happen to be of the tree hugger sorts. Just something to ponder.

Aside from that- I mentioned in another post the idea of gettin or ordering a couple of yote hunting DVD's. They're all over our Gander Mtn and usually (last I saw) under $10-$12. There's good info on them and you might accidentally fart around and find yourself a new sport! Have fun and good luck!

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old December 29, 2009, 10:19 AM   #6
jdscholer

What I've been doing lately is trying to watch where those "field standers" go when they get nervous. Then I go and call from those areas if legal or permissible.

If you kill that coyote in the field you kill ONE coyote. If ya find out where he lives, you might kill several. jd