The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 8, 2007, 08:48 PM   #1
BoneDigger

Need advice: Deer/Pig pistol

Would this be a good choice and is this a good price?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/39829

Todd
Old May 9, 2007, 12:26 AM   #2
keita

Recently in Gun Test magazine, Tarurus 44 tracker scored A+. I have a raging bull 454, and never shot a tracker, but Taurus gives you some serious bang for the buck.

I'm not sure what the going price for those are, but I have bought several firearms from budsgunshp and I have never been able to find a better price or service, so I say you can't go wrong with that deal.
Old May 9, 2007, 07:54 AM   #3
FirstFreedom

I'll bet it'd work well. But the Tracker is a small frame, so I'd never use any reloads or specialty ammo in it - strictly off the shelf factory.
Old May 9, 2007, 03:49 PM   #4
jhgreasemonkey

I have a ruger redhawk .44 mag 5.5" barrel that I plan taking out this year. I have been shooting it at the range and its a sweet gun. Never shot a taurus tracker though.
Old May 9, 2007, 03:58 PM   #5
Fremmer

Does he need the porting on that revolver? Might make for a mighty bright flash at dawn/dusk.
Old May 9, 2007, 04:06 PM   #6
fisherman66

What was that Fremmer? I can't hear you, my ears are ringing. I forgot to put my muffs on before shooting dat deer over dar.
Old May 9, 2007, 04:48 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

That's a good point, BD - with that porting, it may be too loud to use hunting without hearing protection - could damage your ears - the cylinder gap blast is bad enough, but with the porting, it would be brutal without protection.
Old May 9, 2007, 05:28 PM   #8
Trapp

Wouldn't the adrenalin of shotting a deer at close range cause some auditory exclusion?
Old May 9, 2007, 05:58 PM   #9
FirstFreedom

Yes, some, but I don't think enough to keep you from getting hearing damage, esp. over time with multiple shots. If *I* hunted with that revolver, I would NOT touch it off without having some plugs at least 2/3rds of the way pushed in. But I'm pretty careful about my hearing.
Old May 9, 2007, 08:36 PM   #10
Fremmer

And I'm not sure that auditory exclusion (the perceived lack of noise) has anything to do with whether your hearing is actually damaged by the high decibel of a ported magnum handgun.
Old May 10, 2007, 09:59 PM   #11
Full-choke

It depends on how good of a shot you are or if you will need more then one round, but I would look at a Thompson Center Encore. I own a rifle version and have held and shot several others and enjoy them greatly. The best thing is the versatility of them. A little bit of work and you have a brand new single-shot gun. Thompson Center makes a dang good gun for the money too, I have been impressed with my 45-70. I mounted a 1.5-5 shotgun scope on it and can nail a gallon jug at well over 125 yards, not too bad for being the first big bore I've ever shot. They make a 45-70 pistol that would do that job with some softer rounds, but 44 mag would also be a nice one. They also make pistol barrels for some regular rifle rounds that make things even more fun. If one shot will work, don't pass them up.