The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 22, 2011, 01:25 PM   #1
Todd1700

Crest Wrapped and Fletched a Few

Got a few more arrows ready for the recurve for the upcoming season. Think they turned out well.

Old September 22, 2011, 02:46 PM   #2
g.willikers

Nice work.
A well made arrow is just about a piece of art.
So is a recurve, come to think.
What are you using on the other end?
Old September 22, 2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Pahoo

Brings back memories !!

Todd
Very nice work as I know what it took to get to this point. I use to make my own back in the late 80,s and it is fun. That was before carbon fiber and alum. was just coming on. Nice to see Turkey feather fletching as well. Again, they will look pretty on your bow quiver. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 22, 2011, 08:21 PM   #4
Todd1700

Quote:
What are you using on the other end?
Zwickey 160 grain 2 blade No Mercy

Old September 23, 2011, 12:06 PM   #5
Wild Bill Bucks

Good looking work Todd. Like Pahoo, this brings back memories from the late 70's. My first deer was killed with an arrow that I had made myself. When I was making them I had to use the Zwickey that had to be hot glued without the insert so tuning the arrow was a bit of a chore, but I got to shoot a lot more because of it.
I had a fletch burner, that had the shape of a lightning bolt on the top edge, and I thought that was the coolest thing I had ever seen. All my arrows had my name written in silver along the side of the arrow, and I thought I was Fred Bear.
Good to see someone has the time & energy to do things the good old long, hard way. I'm sure it gives you a real sense of accomplishment.
Most people don't have a clue exactly how much work and time it takes to make a dozen quality arrows.
Old September 23, 2011, 11:11 PM   #6
warbirdlover

Very nice fletching job! Glad to see you didn't use a helical fletch (noisy). I used to own an archery shop and fletched literally thousands of arrows (including my own target arrows). Did you put a drop of glue on the front and back of each fletch? Really helps keep them on if you sink them too deep in the target (or deer).
Old September 24, 2011, 09:25 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

During the summer of 1948 I went on a "real Injun" kick. Bows'n'arrers, breechcloth, armbands, home-made moccasins. All that stuff. The only store-bought items were nylon thread and airplane glue for the fletching, and bowstrings.

Ran down the neighbor's turkeys for wing feathers. Several efforts with cedar before success in making a bow stave that wouldn't split. Barrel hoop for the arrowheads. Some sort of local bush (still don't know the name) for 26" arrow shafts.

I guess the final effort was around a 40-pound pull. Good enough to send a flight arrow some 389 long steps. Not bad for a fourteen-year-old kid.

A few cottontails, one fox, one rattlesnake and a little spike buck that I shot through the head.

My mother was quite pleased when school started, that fall.
Old September 24, 2011, 10:16 AM   #8
Pahoo

Seems like only yesterday

I can still recall purchasing our arrow cedar shafts in 100Cnt. bundles, from a woodworking supply house. We would sort through the bunch and pick out the straightest of the lot. Some we steamed and straightened. The rest we just threw away. Pretty excited when I shot my first squirrel with one of our arrows as most of the time, we got skunked. Made our own fletching burner out of element wire from an old toaster and shaft turning jig, out of an old record player motor/mechanism. Back then, life was not fair but we didn't care as long we had bow in hand, arrows and a cool autumn morning. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old September 24, 2011, 08:45 PM   #9
warbirdlover

I used to make my own bowstrings. It's alot of fun. You just need to make a jig and get the materials. They were far better then the ones you buy. Lasted forever and I could make them all the exact same length. Take a few purchased ones of a certain length and see how close to each other they really are!
Old September 24, 2011, 09:23 PM   #10
Gunplummer

Look good, lot of work there. What kind of wood are you using? Good cedar must be getting scarce. I was using some kind of foreign spruce for a while. Really don't get time to go lately.
Old September 24, 2011, 10:06 PM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Before the days of alloys and fiberglass, "Port Orford Cedar" was the usual availability. Pacific coast, IIRC; Oregon?
Old September 25, 2011, 09:39 AM   #12
Pahoo

I can still smell the Neatlack. .. !!

We started out with "Port Orford Cedar" and use to buy them by the 100cnt. bundles. They flew fairly well and then we went to fiberglass and they flew like telephone poles. I would suspect and expect that the OP is using aluminum as if you are going to invest that much effort into these beauties, then use the best. We use to buy our wing feathers already stripped from the quill. I still have some of these old arrows and my grandkids have mounted them on their walls. A buddy of mine still makes bow strings and another, napps his own heads. ....

Life it good !!
Be Safe !!!
Old September 25, 2011, 09:56 AM   #13
Todd1700

Quote:
I would suspect and expect that the OP is using aluminum as if you are going to invest that much effort into these beauties, then use the best.
Yep. The shafts are Easton Legacy 2016 aluminum. They are just painted by Easton to have a wood grain look.
Old September 25, 2011, 02:20 PM   #14
Gunplummer

Nothing wrong with that, like I said good wood is probably getting scarce.
Old September 25, 2011, 02:21 PM   #15
shootniron

Those look great. What kind of gun do you shoot them in?
Old September 25, 2011, 09:59 PM   #16
langenc

In the late 50s we went to an archery shop and bought shafts. We didnt have to buy the whole 100-just a dozen alrteady splined and pretty straight.
At that time they were about $3.50/doz as I recall.
Old September 25, 2011, 10:51 PM   #17
Todd1700

Quote:
In the late 50s we went to an archery shop and bought shafts. We didnt have to buy the whole 100-just a dozen alrteady splined and pretty straight.
At that time they were about $3.50/doz as I recall.
Them days is loooong gone. LOL!