The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 29, 2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Dr Big Bird PhD

Best BUIS for Handguard

Just got a complete upper with a free-float handguard in the mail. Love it, but it currently doesn't have any sights. First thing I wanna get for it is a good set of BUIS, but the front sights will have to rest on top of the handguard since I have a low profile gas block.

Suggestions?
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old November 29, 2012, 09:54 PM   #2
scsov509

I think the Troy Battlesights are some of the more accurate ones, but if you plan to mount an optic then the Magpul sights are decent enough for an actual backup sight. I'm running those on a few carbines and like them just fine for a back up sight, especially at the cost in comparison to other options out there.
Old November 30, 2012, 01:17 PM   #3
Dr Big Bird PhD

I'm familiar with both of those, but it is my understanding that the front sights are supposed to be mounted on the gas block, and not the handguard.

If Troy or Magpul make handguard fronts, then I'll just get one of those, but I can't seem to find anything regarding that.
Old November 30, 2012, 01:59 PM   #4
scsov509

Troy makes a rail mounted front sight and also one that's intended for a gas block as do several other of the nicer BUIS like Daniel Defense. The Magpul sights however are not intended to go an a gas block, and word is that they will in fact get damaged by the heat produced by the gas block. Generally anything marketed as "Rail Height" is intended for a railed handguard and anything intended for a railed gas block will be sold as a "Gas Block" front sight.

One additional thought, if you don't have a free float tube on your rifle then don't expect super high levels of accuracy out of anything mounted on a handguard. Though the amount of motion in a drop in handguard seems minimal, it's bough to make a big difference in the accuracy of rail mounted sights. Don't get me wrong, the accuracy is still serviceable at the sort of distances you'd actually be using a backup iron sight, but I just want to give you the heads up so you're not disappointed if you get something and don't see stellar accuracy. So if you've got a drop in non-free floated handguard I really think the MBUS at great sights since they're much less expensive and your not going to get a ton more accuracy from something like a Troy or DD anyways.
Old November 30, 2012, 02:01 PM   #5
scsov509

And I just re-read your post and saw that you've got a free-float handguard, so maybe the nicer sight is worth a look. Sorry for missing that, I'm laid up on a bunch of pain meds right now with a back injury. Brain is a little slow this week...
Old November 30, 2012, 02:12 PM   #6
ripnbst

If you plan to mount your sight right over the gas block then you should be aware that people have melted their MAGPULS from the heat off the gas block. I really like MBUIS and I have them. Just be aware that if you plan on doing lots of sustained fire in quick succession you may melt it. That being said the Troy one would be my nice choice. The reason they aren't my first choice is they are so much more expensive than the MBUS and the MBUS are great.
Old November 30, 2012, 05:04 PM   #7
Dr Big Bird PhD

Looks like I'll be investing in the Troy sights. Thanks everyone
Old November 30, 2012, 07:09 PM   #8
DasGuy

If you mount the front sight to a gas block, make sure to get one that's the right height (taller). Standard Troy sights are meant to be mounted on the same plane of height.
Old December 1, 2012, 07:52 AM   #9
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
I have Yankee Hill Machine BUIS and they have worked fantastic. I would probably recommend you would replace the front post with a smaller one. It's a tad thick for my preference.