The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2009, 08:34 AM   #1
tkofoid

New bag of winchester brass!

I bought a new bag of 100 winchester brass in 22-250. I sort out all my brass by weight and usually find about 15% that are either way to light or way to heavy. This batch were all with-in 1 1/2 grains of each other with the exception of only two! Maybe they are Lapua with a Winchester headstamp! I am so happy!
Old January 24, 2009, 07:46 PM   #2
ryalred

Congratulations! I like Winchester brass, too.
reloading -- addicted
Old January 24, 2009, 08:25 PM   #3
Shane Tuttle
Staff

So, 15 cases were too light or too heavy, yet are within 1.5 grains of each other? On top of that, 2 more cases are out of spec for you? Where are you getting your numbers for out of spec tolerances?

If I bought Lapua brass and 17 of them were no good, then I'd be ashamed if I were Lapua to let that go out the door....

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 26, 2009, 12:56 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Quote:
This batch were all with-in 1 1/2 grains of each other with the exception of only two!
He's saying he actually got something worth his hard-earned cash, this time.

Congratulations, tkofoid. I have not been so lucky lately.
Old January 26, 2009, 02:25 PM   #5
tkofoid

I know and appreciate the value of lapua. I use it whenever possible. It doesn't have to prepped, weighed,or sorted. And, it shouldn't - It is Double the price of Winchester. Winchester will shoot just as well after these things have been done: the weighing,,primer pocket uniforming,,flash hole deburring,,,yada,yada,yada. I was lucky to get the batch I got and am happy. 2% cull aint bad.
Old January 26, 2009, 02:38 PM   #6
amamnn

Anyone who thinks that ANY brass need not be checked because it is a premium brand is a fool. So say those of us who bought Lapua .223 rem brass during the infamous Lapua outsourcing some years back. I'll agree that Lapua is my preferred match brass for more reasons than just consistent weight, but I still check. The last 1000 6mm BR cases I bought ran a bit less than 1% culls for weight.

If I had bought some Winchester that ran about 2% and I liked Winchester, I would have noted the lot# and bought as many more bags as I could afford.
Old January 26, 2009, 04:45 PM   #7
tkofoid

thanks for that thought.... there were a bunch of the winchester brass that day last week when I picked those up. I will definitely go back today and see if they have some of the same lot on the shelf. Another thing about the bag I got is that I could have loaded all of them right out of the bag. None had deformed mouths. Nicest batch of Winchester brass I've seen.