The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 10, 2009, 09:38 AM   #26
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

That dog in the B&W image is LOW GRADE as far as realistic and detail. The one your buddy did is incredible, both the head and full dogs.
Brent
Old June 10, 2009, 11:48 AM   #27
Ruger4570

Hey Wild.... next time you talk to your engraver ask him how he feels about doing some work for me,,, I am thinking $20.00 bills would be a good start..
Old June 10, 2009, 01:39 PM   #28
Skans

Now that is some exceptional engraving!! Did you guys notice the level of detail in the background surrounding the dog? The knot and bark on the tree, the barbed wire fence, not to mention how lifelike the engraving of the dog is.

Thanks for the great pictures.
Old June 10, 2009, 02:05 PM   #29
stephen426

Thats incredible! Absolutely amazing piece of art! I sure as heck couldn't bring myself to shoot a gun like that though!
Old June 10, 2009, 03:56 PM   #30
Mr. James

I'm such a vulgarian engraving has never done much for me . . . but that is just breathtaking. Simply stunning.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old June 10, 2009, 04:37 PM   #31
James R. Burke

Fantastic what else can you say. I know I will never have a gun that nice, but glad someone can.
Old June 10, 2009, 06:07 PM   #32
fawcettlee

Redundant at this point but,

WOW!
Old June 10, 2009, 10:03 PM   #33
Ruger4570

Just for kicks, I just looked at my Browning Grade VI with the gold work and engraving. The Browning doesn't even come CLOSE to that engraving you showed pics of, not even in the same park.
That man has talent. Just check the scrolls, they are perfectly symetrical, no out of round cuts. I really have to admire this guy because, there is no putting steel back on a bad cut and doing it over.
Old June 11, 2009, 08:22 AM   #34
Bud Helms

You know, it strikes me that the artistic aspect of this piece is a byproduct of the technical skill. Just my opinion. The details specifically mentioned by Skans make me wonder if this is not a once in a lifetime achievement even by the engraver's standards.

Very special. This could be the only one of these that will ever exist.
Old June 11, 2009, 08:40 AM   #35
Housezealot

That is absolutly beautiful, But just to play devils advocate, while we are drooling over an engraving job, does that set us close to the mall ninja's that dress up their tacticool stuff for looks
Just kidding! I did resist the urge to tell you nice "shotty"
Old June 11, 2009, 08:41 AM   #36
Wildalaska

Quote:
You know, it strikes me that the artistic aspect of this piece is a byproduct of the technical skill. Just my opinion. The details specifically mentioned by Skans make me wonder if this is not a once in a lifetime achievement even by the engraver's standards.

Very special. This could be the only one of these that will ever exist.
As to this design.......absolutely.

As to the once in a lifetime...wait for the photos of the SAA pair I will be posting

WildoyeahAlaska TM
Old June 11, 2009, 10:31 AM   #37
flight954

Very nice work. 20 large or so
Old June 11, 2009, 10:39 AM   #38
Dingoboyx

Amazing

Imagine how many guns I could buy for $20k?

Imagine if the engraver made a mistake with the last little bit?
Old June 11, 2009, 01:20 PM   #39
Wildalaska

Here's a note I got from Jim this morning:

"Thanks for all the appreciative posts. Engraving is not for everyone and maybe even not for all guns. My own mint 70 Series Colt Gold Cup and conversion kit has only sambar grips added and is uncut. I have plans on almost all other firearms I own, but for some reason I can't bring myself to break its lovely surface (I might buy another Gold Cup and cut it!). I ended up building my own firearms and eventually entered engraving because I couldn't afford my own tastes for beautiful guns (I build my first rifle stock at age 17). I don't go to art museums, but I'd walk a few miles to see fine engraving.

We Americans with our Second Amendment freedoms have been fortunate to not be restricted in the amount of firearms we possess (I pray this may continue). Europe has had strict control for many years and thus sprung the drillings and various combination guns so one firearm could do several tasks. It was natural that since one could own a single firearm that it be heavily decorated. Most of Americans would rather have ten firearms than put that same amount of money into a single one. Still, there are some who would prefer to own one of the finest than ten straight from a factory (I cannot look at a single factory firearm without visioning some change to it). Buyers choice.

I've been engraving since 1983 (part time until 1992), but evidently thousands of hours of cutting and thousands of hours studying other engraver's work (both in past and present) must have coalesced about nine years ago (I guess you could call me slow). It seems in looking critically at my own work, there was a quantum leap in my engraving quality, and I did my first bulino at that time. The other skills must have spilled over, because that first effort on a pocket watch won top place at the National Association of Watch Collectors show in New Orleans.

The comment about technical skill being revealed in the 21 is correct. That particular pattern demands it heavily because there are large areas where the pattern mirrors itself on the opposite side, which can be seen and instantly compared (top tang, top of receiver for example). This is time consuming in both layout and cutting. I believe part of this particular gun's charm comes from symmetry.

When Howard Carter broke into King Tut's tomb, Lord Carnavon asked him if he saw anything. His answer was "Yes, I see wonderful things!" If allowed by the Big Guy Upstairs, I hope to continue to improve and get better. I too, see wonderful things. There are a handful of engravers who are given a commission with no stipulation as to time or cost. I have yet to receive such, so remain convinced I have yet to do my finest work. I could live another lifetime and still not get all the engraving projects I want to do done!

Jim White "

I personally wish I had the money to tell him to go to town I have to content myself with a lightly done High Power

I have two more guns to show you guys, give me a few to get organized

WildilovethisstuffAlaska ™
Old June 11, 2009, 01:40 PM   #40
Skans

Compared to what some of the top Italian engravers get for their work, $20K for this engraving is actually cheap. Thing is, if this engraver continues to turn out work like that, you are making one heck of a good investment.
Old June 11, 2009, 01:50 PM   #41
Creature

Wild, your blue blood is showing...

Its one thing to look at this engraving of this caliber...but to actually own it and shoot it is something entirely different. Isnt it?
Old June 11, 2009, 10:16 PM   #42
fawcettlee

I keep coming back to it.

This gun needs to be photographed for a poster or something.
Old June 12, 2009, 04:22 AM   #43
imthegrumpyone

It's "Breathless" awesome job
Old June 14, 2009, 09:27 PM   #44
protectedbyglock

That is absolutely stunning, Wildman!
I bet you get a rush just holding it...
Old August 31, 2009, 04:36 PM   #45
Skans

I remembered seeing this post with the exceptional engraving.....I just had to dig it up and look at it again.
Old August 31, 2009, 04:55 PM   #46
saltydog452

I wonder how a mistake is corrected??

salty
Old August 31, 2009, 05:27 PM   #47
Bud Helms

Very funny.
Old August 31, 2009, 06:07 PM   #48
MLeake

I usually dislike engraving on guns and blades

but those are really nice, WA. I'm not sure how he managed to put so much detail in there without making them look tacky to me, but he did. That really takes some skill.
Old August 31, 2009, 06:58 PM   #49
Wildalaska

The guns have been blued by Turnbull and I wioll get p[htos up shortly

WildswampedAlaska ™
Old January 18, 2011, 01:33 AM   #50
fawcettlee

Any updates?

You mentioned other guns.