The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 13, 2008, 09:59 PM   #51
redlantrn

Gun #15

This one appears to be a 12 G shotgun fitted with a ramrod. There is a piece of tape on the stock on which says "fire cap to dislodge plastic in barrel". Not quie sure what that means. I'm assuming this is black powder? Looks like this collection has a little bit of everything...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun #15.jpg (243.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Gun #15b.jpg (227.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Gun #15c.jpg (241.6 KB, 49 views)
Old October 13, 2008, 10:12 PM   #52
Jim Watson

As marked No 15 is a Harrington and Richardson Huntsman 12 gauge muzzleloading shotgun, built on a conventional single barrel shotgun receiver for economy and convenience.

Although a shotgun, it has sights which tells me it was meant for use with slug or ball. There is one state where a muzzleloader must be a smoothbore to be eligible for "primitive weapons" hunting season and this would have been the cheapest approach while the Huntsman was in production.

(They also made Huntsman rifles, which were very popular here for their low price and similar operation to a single barrel shotgun.)

I do not understand the bit about "fire cap to dislodge plastic in barrel." Although firing a cap alone might blow out a light obstruction like a piece of plastic, the question remains, how did the plastic get in there to start with and why did it do it regularly enough that the gun was labeled for it?
The breech plug comes out of these pretty easily and I would think it simpler and quieter just to remove it and push any plastic out with the ramrod.
But people do strange things to guns.
Old October 13, 2008, 10:23 PM   #53
redlantrn

Thanks for that detailed description Jim. I was going to remove the tape, but decided to leave it in case it might correlate to a safety issue should somebody decide to fire it.
I'm turning in fo the eve, but want to thank everyone again for their time and knowledge, and hopefully I'll be able to post more of my collection tomorrow.
Old October 14, 2008, 03:14 PM   #54
redlantrn

Gun#16

Ok, this one was pretty straight forward, as it seems to be a reproduction of sorts. It's a Kentuckian model 5009 .45 black powder imported by Armsport,
made in Italy. Has an interesting octogon shaped barrel.
Any idea when this might have been made?
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun#16.jpg (266.8 KB, 67 views)
Old October 14, 2008, 04:27 PM   #55
Jim Watson

Correct, it is a reproduction cap and ball muzzleloading "Kentucky" rifle.
Octagon barrels were pretty much standard in them there days, easier to shape on small shop equipment than round.

Somewhere in the Italian proof test markings - maybe on the bottom flat of the barrel under the stock - there should be a date code. Two letters in a square box is the most usual form. If you see it, post it and I will look up the date. They have been making guns like that for 30 years or more.
Old October 14, 2008, 08:12 PM   #56
redlantrn

Thanks Jim. The 2 letters in a square box are "AC".
Old October 14, 2008, 08:23 PM   #57
redlantrn

Gun#17

Might have previously posted this one, but have lost track. this one came out of a cardboard box, and looks new but cannot cofirm. Box also had a spare clip and adjustable rear sights, along with manuals. Look like it was imported from a company in Atlanta. Manual says SKS. Whats the difference between sks and ak47?
thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun#17.jpg (258.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Gun#17b.jpg (238.2 KB, 44 views)
Old October 14, 2008, 08:45 PM   #58
Chipperman

That's a Chinese SKS. Fires the same cartridge as the AK-47 (7.62x39). The SKS was introduced shortly before the AK-47. It has a 10 round integral box mag, whereas the AK has a removable mag. (Some SKSs had higher capacity integral mags and others had removable mags, but 10 round integral is the standard configuration).
Old October 14, 2008, 09:02 PM   #59
redlantrn

Gun #18

Thanks Chipperman! Gun #18 appears to be a small cal shotgun (410?). Says Midland gun Co---England on left side of barrel, and Armsport Inc, Miami FL on right. Although in excellent shape, seems to be a low quality, high production gun.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun # 18.jpg (251.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Gun #18b.jpg (232.8 KB, 30 views)
Old October 14, 2008, 11:12 PM   #60
Jim Watson

AC date code on gun No 16 is 1977 manufacture.

In spite of markings for England and Florida, gun No 18 is probably of Russian manufacture at the Baikal plant, sold all over the world by different distributors. Even Remington is selling that same gun now, except 12 gauge only.

Q: Is it MARKED .410? Looks like a bigger gauge than that.
Old October 15, 2008, 08:11 AM   #61
redlantrn

Hi Jim. Thanks for the info. I could not find any markings anywhere as far as regards to gage . Attached pic should give you a better POR as far as barrel diameter.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0423_2.jpg (245.2 KB, 75 views)
Old October 15, 2008, 08:21 AM   #62
SDC

That shotgun (the IZh-18 made for export) appears to have a chamber adaptor installed, allowing you to shoot 410 shells out of a 12-gauge single-shot. If you have a cleaning-rod, you should be able to tap it out from the muzzle.
Old October 15, 2008, 12:31 PM   #63
redlantrn

Thanks SDC. I took a look, and it appears to be a skinnier tube inside, which runs about half the length of the barrel. Tried tapping it from the inside, but it's pretty snug, so I'll just leave it.
Old October 15, 2008, 05:30 PM   #64
Gbro

You have a very nice collection of guns there. Your Grandfather had a good eye for history in what he collected. You might start a biography of this collection.
I see in some of the pictures that trigger locks are used. Those kind of trigger locks were designed primarily for double action revolvers in that the bolt would go behind the trigger. Most guns do not have clearance to do this so instead the bolt is placed in front of the trigger. This could lead to a dangerous condition.
A gun safe or a locked storage box is most of the time a much better way of protecting unauthorized access to these guns.

Take care of these fine pieces of history and thank you for sharing with us
Old October 15, 2008, 09:33 PM   #65
redlantrn

Gun #19

Thanks for the kind words Gbro. My grandfather gave me my first rifle at 16, and used to take me trap shooting on occasion. He never missed. Me, well thats another story.
It's difficult having more than 40 weapons in my home, as I have to have a "secret room" for security reasons. As far as safety, all are verified unloaded, and I'm sure the keys to the locks are long gone. I'm in the process of finding a "safe house" for them.
Anyways, heres # 19. It's a beautiful Remington Woodsman 30-06. It has a Kowa scope (never heard of the brand). Anyway to tel mfg. date?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun #19.jpg (246.0 KB, 71 views)
Old October 15, 2008, 09:53 PM   #66
Jim Watson

Remington Model 742 BDL.
Broad serial number blocks are:
1951-1967 1,000-541,000
1968-1975 6,900,000-7,499,999
1975-1978 A6,900,000-A7,499,999
1978-1981 B6,900,000-B7,499,999

There should be some cryptic markings on the left rear of the barrel, just in front of the action. http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/...ns/barrelcodes

Failing that, call them up:
If you will call or email us the serial number and model number we can determine the approximate age of your firearm.
Serial numbers were not required until 1968. For models without a serial number, we may be able to determine the age by the 2-3 letters that are stamped on the barrel.
Contact us through our Help Center by email or call us at 800-243-9700 Mon-Fri 9-5 EST.

I have not seen a Kowa rifle scope. Their spotting scopes are pretty much the world standard for target shooters, though. If this rifle scope is anything close, it is a good one.
Old October 15, 2008, 10:35 PM   #67
redlantrn

Gun #20

Thanks for all the info Jim! Looks to be a 1980. This gun, while easy to identify, is a calibre I have never heard of before. It is a Remington 700 in cal 25-06. its in mint condition. Is this an odball round? or is it known by another name? I saw one on gunsamerica for $1,000, and about fell out of my chair!
Thanks for any info!
signing off.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun #20b.jpg (235.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Gun #20.jpg (247.5 KB, 43 views)
Old October 16, 2008, 07:52 AM   #68
Jim Watson

Gun No 20 is a Remington 700 ADL, which was the least expensive rifle they were making at the time. $1000 is about twice what this one is worth, the one on GA must have been a fancier variation or the seller very optimistic.

.25-06 is the .30-06 case necked down to shoot a .257" bullet. They were made as wildcats, the guns chambered by a gunsmith and the brass formed by the shooter for many years, sometimes known as the .25 Neidner. Remington then started to produce guns and ammo commercially. They sold very well for a while but have been kind of overshadowed by newer gimmick guns.
Old October 16, 2008, 03:29 PM   #69
redlantrn

Gun #21

Thanks Jim. I guess a little wishful thinking on part as far as the value on the 25-06....
Anyhow, heres #21. It has a pretty low serial # A0219 (assuming this is the serial #), and says Mauser Modelo Argentino 1909, along with some German writing (see pic#2). There is also an oval crest on top of the breech. Has this been sporterized? There is an oval sticker on bottom of forestock saying rifle has been service checked by interarms. Oh, muzzle stamped 7.65.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun #21.jpg (266.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Gun 21b.jpg (238.8 KB, 28 views)
Old October 16, 2008, 03:46 PM   #70
Jim Watson

The markings pretty well cover it. It is a Model 1909 cavalry carbine, not the same as the infantry rifle. The action is of '98 Mauser design, the gun actually made by DWM in Germany on contract for Argentina, whose national crest is on top of the action. It has not been sporterized except for the pull-on recoil pad on the buttstock... which will pull off as easy as it went on. The sticker shows it was imported here as surplus by Interarms, of Alexandria, Virginia, sometimes arms supplier to the CIA.

The caliber is 7.65x53 Mauser, which was used by Belgium, Turkey, Argentina, and a few other small Latin countries. One source says Spain, which is news to me. It is not interchangeable with anything else. Ammunition is available but rather expensive.

Read up at:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...bine/index.asp
Old October 16, 2008, 04:11 PM   #71
redlantrn

Gun #22

Thanks Jim. This one says k98 on the left side of receiver, serial#4224.b. Front scope ring covering up a name which starts with W and ends with A. Tried taking front ring off, but it feels like it was put on with an impact wrench, screws will no budge. Ugly recoil pad and cheek protector removed for your viewing pleasure...
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun #22.jpg (260.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Gun #22b.jpg (237.9 KB, 34 views)
Old October 16, 2008, 05:17 PM   #72
Jim Watson

No 22 is a K98 Mauser, the German infantry rifle from 1935 through WW II. Caliber 8mm Mauser = 8x57.

The bad news is that this one has been sporterized by drilling and tapping holes for the scope mounts, removal of the top handguard, and shortening of the stock forearm. Therefore the maker's name hidden under the front scope base does not mean a lot to the value anyhow.
Old October 16, 2008, 06:25 PM   #73
redlantrn

Thanks Jim. It's a shame how a lot of these guns lose their historical/collector value. Is it because there was a large surplus after the war, and the guns could be had for a few bucks? As a kid I remember seeing ads for garands for dirt cheap in the back of some magazine all the time (can't recall the name).
Old October 16, 2008, 07:18 PM   #74
redlantrn

gun #23

I was told my another member here that this gun is a MAS, made for the French army at the St Etienne armory. Serial #'s are all different, but gun is in mint shape. Was it rearsenaled somewhere? Is it a 7.62? 1936 is stamped on left side. Is this the model #, or mfg date?
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun #23.jpg (247.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Gun #23b.jpg (233.4 KB, 31 views)
Old October 16, 2008, 08:25 PM   #75
SDC

That one's a MAS ("Manufacture d'Armes St. Etienne") M1936, adopted in 1936 by the French as a replacement for the Lebel rifle you showed earlier; These rifles were originally chambered for the 7.5x54mm MAS cartridge.