The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 8, 2004, 09:30 PM   #1
Aardvark

Walmart 835 Camo

I strolled into a local Walmart today because my old cleaning rod finally gave up the ghost and I intended to replace it. I grabbed one off the shelf and put it in my cart. While waiting to talk to the associate behind the sporting goods desk who was busy with another customer, I stopped by the revolving shotgun rack to eye the supply. I looked at a new Mossberg 835 camo and noticed the price tag had been covered up by a smaller tag that read $150.00.
I could hardly believe it and when the guy finished with his customer, I asked what could be wrong with the gun at that price. He said nothing was wrong and that when Walmart discontinues a product line, they "ROLL BACK" the prices.
I thought man do they ever. He also informed me that the day before he had sold a couple of Savage bolt action 270's for $100 apiece. I couldn't believe it!
He then said that he had something in the back that I may want to see. He brings out a new in the box Remington 700 ADL 270 for $200.
I painfully left the store with only the shotgun but am trying to find $200 in my budget.
Moral of this story:
Ask the guy behind the counter if he can show you any discontinued models from the "BACK" of the store.
This 835 is the ultimag 12ga 3.5" mag with fiber optic sights, drilled receiver, Accu-Mag choke, 24" barrel, overbore model that has MSRP on Mossberg sight of $460.....
Old December 8, 2004, 11:05 PM   #2
38splfan

Hhhhmmmmmm.....

Is Wal-Mart discontinuing firearms altogether, or just those models? I know our local K-Mart has nothing but paintball and BB guns anymore. Is this a department store trend, or just an odd coincidence? If they are discontinuing all of them, I guess I'll make the 20 Min. drive to carry my arse over there
Old December 8, 2004, 11:29 PM   #3
Aardvark

I get the impression that they are only discontinuing certain models. The mossberg 835 and Remington 700 ADL. That I know of for sure. Man, I hated passing up a new Remington for $200.
Old December 9, 2004, 12:28 AM   #4
Chiram2003

Right after I watched the last bit of my money go towards the necessities, I see this. Car payment could have waited! :barf:
Old December 9, 2004, 12:56 AM   #5
38splfan

car payment could have waited.

yup
Come to think of it, rent isn't a big deal, either
Old December 9, 2004, 01:08 AM   #6
brokenfeather

I happen to be one of those associates behind the counter at a local Walmart. Some Walmarts are getting out of the firearms business due to pressure from local restrictive laws, or the store manager dosen't want the hassle. There are lots of reasons. Walmart has and is dealing with issues of not getting it right regarding compliance with regulations both state and federal. Put another way they are a bit concerned about doing it right.

If you local store still has firearms and is doing a reasonable amount of business they will in all probablity still be selling for sometime to come. I have seen more and more stores around our area get out of the firearm sales all together.

To confirm what was stated before it is wise to ask the Associate in the dept. if they have any clearance items. We at our store just clearanced out some shot guns and bolt action centerfire rifles also. Sometimes the store manager will clearance some weapons that have been in stock for a while. Don't be bashfull ask. You just might get lucky.
Old December 15, 2004, 03:00 PM   #7
dr.magnum

I was at a local Walmart on Monday, right after they put out thier last Traditions o\u field hunter in 20ga. It originally sold for $529. They sold the last one for $300. It's mine now .
Old December 15, 2004, 03:17 PM   #8
Chiram2003

Actually, when I say "car payment could have waited," you have to realize that my car is through private financing. IOW, if I don't pay, my car doesn't get repo'd.

Edit: Dr.Magnum,

How about, from now on, when your store clearances some rifles, you let us know so we can go ask at our local store?
Old January 3, 2005, 10:57 AM   #9
walmartman

walmart specials

are you special? you could be if you ask the guy behind the counter if he has any firearms that are discontinued? Also, don't let the guy just spin the display case and look in there and tell you he doesn't see any. Every Walmart that sells firearms is required to have a security room in which they store firearms after receiving from the supplier. The security room also acts as a place to store boxes for the displayed firearms. The boxes won't have any signs on them stating "discontinued" or anything like that. The walmart associate must take what is called a telxon or "960" in the gun room with them and do a scan on the upc codes to determine the "status" of the firearm. A NRPL or DELETED firearm are the ones usually with the great prices. I personally work at walmart in the sporting goods department and have bought a few deals myself. Right now the Remington 700 ADL 30.06 wood/blue are on sale for $150.00!!!! Yes I know that is incredible. I have one on layaway right this very second. I bought a Mossberg 835 12ga 3 1/2" ported fiber-optic sighted for $75.00!! I couldn't believe the price was so low. Me and my partner in sporting goods would show customers the firearm trying to sell it. A couple of guys just passed it up thinking it was a repaired gun or just plain broken. The box was old because it was an old box. The firearm sat in the gun room for a couple of years without ever being displayed. All that time it was just slowly going down from 300.00 to 75.00. After a few people wouldn't buy the shotgun I decided to buy the shotgun myself. I needed a good turkey gun and this one felt good. I finished my shift and my shift finishes after 10:00pm and we don't sell firearms after 10:00pm so I had to come back the next morning to purchase the shotgun. I went back early because I was scared someone would be there at 7:00 am when the store opened and be lucky enough to learn about the shotgun and buy it before i could wake up and get there. fyi-now we're open 24/7 at my store...... Well I made it and now have a bruised shoulder every turkey season haha.... Right now the Weatherby Vanguards are going for $100.00. The remington 597 gray stock/blue barrel 22's are going for, get this, $35.00!!!! They were originally $139.00 and have been discontinued because the same gun is now in a camo stock instead of the gray. omg! The charles daly 12ga camo pumpaction shotguns are originally $209.00 and now selling for $75.00. The Beretta 20ga semi-auto black synthetic/blue barrel are now at $200.00!!! I don't remember the original price on the beretta shotgun. At our store the Staghorn mag 150gr. .50cal muzzleloaders that were originally $149.00 are now selling for $50.00! When they get that low you have to say "fifty bucks?!?" I bought one but the only thing I don't like is how the whole firing mechanism moves forward to strike the 209 primer. I would prefer a motionless firing mechanism with a true firing pin to strike the primer=that way everything is more waterproof than how it is now. But for "fifty bucks" I should be whipped for complaining right? a side note-that fifty buck smokestick harvested a nice buck this past blackpowder season. It's meat on the table and you can't beat that with a stick.
When I hear of more specials I will post. Thanks for reading...
Old January 6, 2005, 05:06 PM   #10
sdkidaho

Saw this, went to the mart of Wal. Nada. Gone, gone, gone.

Any idea how often they do this? Is it like a once a year thing or...?
Old February 10, 2005, 05:21 PM   #11
walmartmanager

the answers

Those guns you got so cheap are marked down after a period of 1 year.
The guns that were amazingly cheap are actually guns walmart no longer carries in stock and at walmart they become a liability, so we dispose of them by selling them for next to nothing. Most of these super deals came because Walmarts in california have chosen to no longer sell firearms and all their guns were shipped to other walmarts to be liquidated. The type of deals seen in november and december will most likely not be seen again for some time. However, please note that every July walmart overhauls the firearm selection and some models of guns are deleted and marked down. However, normally they do not reach such ridiculously low prices as this year.

That beretta 20 ga was originially 529.83