The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 10, 2011, 07:19 PM   #1
jbrooks39

First Handgun Purchase: S&W M&P 9 Pro vs Springfield XDM-9

Greetings

I know there are a lot of "this" vs "that" comparisons, but I would appreciate some constructive feedback/contrast/comparisons between the following two handguns:

Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Pro
Springfield Armory XDM-9 (4.5" barrel)

This is/will be my first handgun purchase. Both feel good in my hands, but different from one another. I am left-handed shooter, so I appreciate the slide lock/release being ambidextrous on the M&P. Both seem comparable in pricing too.

This will be used primarily a home defense purchase, but I have the intention to receive NRA Basic Pistol training from our local range. I would also like to spend time becoming as proficient as possible with this pistol.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Joe
Old December 10, 2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Microgunner

I own a 4.5" XDm-9 and think it's a fine pistol. Absolutely reliable, accurate and 19+1 capacity.
I won't hesitate to recommend it.
I've handled the M&Ps but never fired one. They also look to be a fine pistol, but no first hand experience with them.
I think either would serve you well.
Old December 10, 2011, 08:03 PM   #3
Uncle Malice

I own both. They are both great guns.

I would say save the money on the M&P Pro series and get the standard model, then put an APEX Tactical DCAEK trigger kit in it. It's a significantly better trigger, and probably my favorite striker trigger available.

The M&P is probably more left friendly in that it has the right-side slide release. Both have ambidextrous magazine catches, so it's kind of a wash there.

If you plan on carrying the gun at all, the M&P is quite a bit easier to carry. It's a lot lighter when loaded up and the grip isn't as long as the XDM.

Both Springfield and S&W have the best customer service departments in the industry, so you have no worries there. My suggestion is to find some to test fire and see which one feels and shoots better for you. I personally prefer the M&P, but it's a pretty narrow margin - they're both superb.
Old December 10, 2011, 08:20 PM   #4
Stoley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Malice View Post
I own both. They are both great guns.

I would say save the money on the M&P Pro series and get the standard model, then put an APEX Tactical DCAEK trigger kit in it. It's a significantly better trigger, and probably my favorite striker trigger available.
^This^
I too have both guns and both have aftermarket triggers in them. The M&P with the APEX sear has the best trigger I've ever shot in a polymer gun. There is almost no felt creep in that trigger, that is my only complaint about the XDm

Last edited by Stoley; December 10, 2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old December 10, 2011, 08:20 PM   #5
ak2323

They're both excellent guns. I sold the SA because I preferred the SW by a hair and had too many 9mms for my liking.

Whatever feels best should dictate your choice.
Old December 10, 2011, 08:58 PM   #6
jbrooks39

Thank you for the responses.

I am assuming these comments would also hold true for the .40 caliber versions as well since the guns are built on the same frames; correct?

Thank you again; I greatly appreciate the feedback.

Regards,
Joe
Old December 10, 2011, 09:10 PM   #7
Wrothgar

I've owned both, and MUCH prefer the M&P!
Old December 10, 2011, 09:29 PM   #8
BigShep85

Think about this jbrooks.

I own the s&w m&p compact and I love it, it is probably my favorite gun I own. It is with me at all times. Storm lake makes 9mm barrels you can drop in the m&p 40 cal so you would have a 40 and 9mm...just a thought. All you need is different mags.
Old December 10, 2011, 09:48 PM   #9
Stoley

Yes they are the same just difrent barrels and mags. My XDm is a 9 and the M&P is a 40 and I have a 357sig barrel that drops in.
Old December 10, 2011, 09:58 PM   #10
Jim Watson

I have the S&W and prefer it largely because of its placement in IDPA.
But the XDm looks like a decent gun.

I recommend sticking with the 9mm.
A .40 would just run up ammo cost and recoil which a new owner does not need.
I see little point in the conversion barrels that let you buy big and shoot small, but I may be the only one in step here.
Old December 10, 2011, 10:15 PM   #11
Jamas

M&P. No contest for me. Whichever feels better in your hand and comes on target best. There is a big difference in feel (my opinion)
Old December 10, 2011, 10:24 PM   #12
INMY01TA

I have both also. (well the M&P9c and an XDm9) i like both but tend to like the M&P a little better now. I agree with the guy above who said to save a little money and get the standard model.
Old December 11, 2011, 01:03 PM   #13
MidwestRookie

I've shot an xd in 45 and an m&p in 40..

That said..I'd take the m&p without blinking. That plastic grip safety is horrible on the xd.
Old December 11, 2011, 01:37 PM   #14
Uncle Malice

Quote:
That plastic grip safety is horrible on the xd.
I admit that I'm not a big fan of the grip safety... but no part of it is plastic... It's metal, and it engages the back end of the sear, which is also metal.
Old December 11, 2011, 01:49 PM   #15
Crunchy Frog

If you think you will ever shoot IDPA you will probably favor the Smith. Under IDPA classifications the Smith is considered double action; the XD is considered single action.

For some reason I really wanted to like the XD best of the polymer guns. I do prefer it to the Glock but the M&P is my favorite.
Old December 11, 2011, 02:35 PM   #16
Mrgunsngear

I've had both and both will get the job done. But.... The M&P Pro is probably my favorite polymer frame gun (don't tell my G17...). Extremely accurate, great fit/finish, 100% reliable, ect...