The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 8, 2010, 12:49 AM   #1
roach_1948

three day wait

This is a great and needed site and is also my first post so hello.
I got my conceled weapons permit a few years back.
I bought a pistol at a gun show here in hollywood florida about 4 months ago.
I was told that I would not have to wait the three days to buy a gun if I had CWP.The call came back and he told me I had to wait,the salesman said sometimes that happens.
Today I bought another handgun and the same thing all over again.is there something I can do to find out why this is happening to me.
Thank's Mike
Old August 8, 2010, 12:42 PM   #2
NavyLT

Call the agency who issued the CHL to you and see if it is listed in the computer database as being valid. I know sometimes here in Washington they will do all the paperwork, and then for some reason the info never gets input into the computer and any computer checks done will not show the CPL as valid. Luckily, here in Washington, the dealer only has to see your paper CPL in order to sell you the gun on the spot without the wait.
Old August 11, 2010, 08:02 PM   #3
roach_1948

Thats what I thought it was like here in florida,I went out and got my concelsd weapons permit so I did not have to go threw all the red tape just to buy a hand gun.It's been over the three day wait and the dealer said he is still waiting for the call from whoever,I'm not sure who.
So thanks for the help.
Old August 11, 2010, 08:47 PM   #4
NavyLT

Sounds like maybe you got a delayed response from NICS, then. The dealer can release the gun to you after 3 days if they do not get a proceed response from NICS. Find another dealer.... the one you are dealing with seems to be a PITA.
Old August 11, 2010, 09:08 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

You said you got your concealed carry permit "a few" years ago. They aren't forever -- are you certain it didn't expire and you missed the renewal notice? Check your permit and verify the expiration date.
Old August 12, 2010, 12:28 PM   #6
Don P

Quote:
You said you got your concealed carry permit "a few" years ago. They aren't forever -- are you certain it didn't expire and you missed the renewal notice? Check your permit and verify the expiration date.
Right out of me mouth. Duh-Huh
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 13, 2010, 10:37 PM   #7
roach_1948

It did not expire it hasn't been two years yet,I think I am always going to have this problem because I got in some trouble back in 1971 so I'm going to have to live with it I guess.I did get my gun yesterday they took off the conditional.So thanks for the help.
JOE
Old August 14, 2010, 10:25 PM   #8
Eghad

Is there some kind of authorization number you can get so you will not have to rinse and repeat every time. We have a few military members who fo some reason are on the no fly list. They got a number from TSA that helps with all the fuss and muss. I know you can do this on the federal side for firearms.

NRA Life Member
Old August 15, 2010, 04:33 AM   #9
blume357

You need to address this question specifically to folks that know

Florida's laws. The three day wait is a florida statute now and I'm not sure that a Florida CWP will get you a pass on it... obviously it doesn't get you a pass on the call in back ground check... this just might have to do with them extending the permit to 7 years from 5.

I know I didn't help much,... but at least this is a bump.