The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 30, 2008, 06:53 PM   #1
nuggetsfool

Small game hunting

Would my crosman airgun be able to kill small game such as bunnys and birds?It only has an fps of 680 but if i use pointed pellets do you think it would work?
Old January 30, 2008, 07:05 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

It might kill at quite close range but chances of the critter crawlin off to die would be higher than I would like to face... YMMV
I used to use a similar gun as a kid and was quite good on sparrows and pigeons but not so lethal on squirrels and many ran to the nest out of my reach.
Brent
Old January 31, 2008, 10:01 PM   #3
tyrajam

I shot a few doves off of telophone wires and quail on the ground with a pellet gun when I was a kid. Definitely wouldn't recoment it-its illegal in every state now! As far as squirrels, I killed quite a few but most took more than one shot. If you really want to hunt squirrels with it, only take head shots or else you'll leave a lot of wounded squirrels out there!
Old February 1, 2008, 02:00 PM   #4
Mannlicher

I would not use that particular rifle for small game. One of those more powerful air rifles might be ok. I see there are a number that boast over 1000fps.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old February 2, 2008, 06:32 PM   #5
Doyle

Is that actual chronographed 680fps or is it advertised as 680fps. If it is actual (using real hunting pellets), then you'll be fine for bunnies and squirrels. However I'm betting it is advertised speed. The difference is that manufacturers us super lightweight target pellets to get higher advertised speeds. If you are using hunting pellets, you can subtract at least 100fps from the advertised value.

Last edited by Doyle; February 2, 2008 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old February 2, 2008, 10:47 PM   #6
Lawyer Daggit

Can I suggest you google 'airgun hunting WITH uk as the English do far more hunting with airguns generating under 12 foot pounds than I think anyone else by virtue of their licensing laws.
Old February 3, 2008, 09:11 AM   #7
rem870hunter

i wouldn't use it for hunting. maybe as a pest/nuisance control. i have a crosman model 760. took out 1 squirrel that was on my moms birdfeeder. i hit it right in the eye with a pellet. it was about 25 feet away, it fell off dead. as far as birds i haven't tried yet. i probably won't unless they are crows. i have woodchucks here now and then but the pellet gun won't do anything but bounce off. so i switch over to the 12 ga. or the .22 rifle.
Old February 3, 2008, 12:28 PM   #8
BIGR

680 FPS in an air rifle is not much umph for trying to take game animals. If it was pest or rats, yea maybe so. You owe it to the game animal to make a clean, humane kill. Use a .22 or other suitable caliber.