The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 2, 1999, 02:55 AM   #1
house

Any body own scopes from BSA also what are your pros and cons on them. They seem to be good scopes are they, or are they just cheap?
I am look at the Platium series of BSA.

Was also wondering do they have a wedsite of there own?

[This message has been edited by house (edited December 02, 1999).]
Old December 2, 1999, 05:22 PM   #2
Doug

House,

I've never used a BSA product but I have looked at a couple of their scopes. I thought they would be a good choice for average use. I thought they were reasonably bright and their sharpness was very good.

Although alot of people wouldn't think of anything less than a Leupold I much prefer using that extra cash on other things. I've owned a variety of scopes, both good and bad, over the years and I can say from my own experience that some of the best optics I've owned were some of the least expensive.

I haven't hunted in years but I thought I'd give it a go this year. I bought myself a Marlin 30-30 and a Simmons 3 x 9 scope. Not just any Simmons scope mind you but the Wal-Mart special at $49.95. I mounted it on a set of Weaver "see through" mounts, and took it to the range to sight it in. I can honestly tell you that I can shoot 3" groups on a rest and 5" off-hand at 100 yards.

I haven't hit it with any hammers or anything but it appears to be well built and it's waterproof and has a lifetime warranty. Good enough for me.

As for the BSA, if the store has a 30 day return policy, buy it. Take it to the range and shoot the heck out of it. If it's supposed to be waterproof, check it out. If all is well, as I expect it will be, don't look back. You've just saved yourself some hard earned cash. It it doesn't work out, then return it to the store for a refund.

Doug

[This message has been edited by Doug (edited December 02, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Doug (edited December 02, 1999).]
Old December 3, 1999, 11:27 PM   #3
WalterGAII

I owned a BSA Platinum Series 8-32X44mm TS scope. Tasco either makes or has the contract for BSA scopes. The markings on my BSA Platinum Series were the same as my Tasco World Class TS scope of the same power. The boxes they came in, sunshade length and style, objective focusing, were identical. Only difference was size of dot and type of turrets.

I sold mine to a friend for $120 and it's mounted on his Bush Shorty carbine. Wish I had it back.
Old December 6, 1999, 01:34 AM   #4
WinMag

House,

I think that you must be reading my mind. I have also been trying to find out more about my new 10/22T (barrels, trigger mechanisms, stocks, and sights).
I just got rid of my Bushnell 3x9 on the 10/22T and ordered a BSA 6x24x44AO Platinum from the Sportsmans Guide Catalog. I figured that for 154.00 I can't go wrong mounting it on a 22LR. However, I still prefer Leupolds on my big game guns.

WinMag
Old January 29, 2000, 07:47 AM   #5
Trocheo

House,
I use a platinum 6-24 on my 222 magnum to hunt coyotes with in the idaho winter here (-10). Have had no problems with what I use it for. A customer rep at midway said Tasco does make them. So if you can live with that, take doug's advice, buy it,use it,send it back if you don't like. Sure I'd love a Leupold, but it's fine for my wallet right now. I have children I have no money... muggers know this and leave me alone. good luck! B&L Shooting have the best prices I've seen so far. If you are a member of the Varmint HUnters Assc he takes real good care of us. I'm out.