The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 2, 2005, 11:58 AM   #1
Duxman

USPSA competition - 1st timer

Went to my first USPSA competition this Sunday. The field of 66 shooters were divided into squads of 11 and then we went off to shoot 6 different scenarios.

The best 40 bucks I ever spent! (Membership into USPSA, and shoot included).

The six scenarios included one qualifier (nuts hard!), shoot left hand 6 shots @ target in 4.5 seconds. Freestyle @ 6 shots - 2nd target 4.5 seconds. Freestyle @ 3 shots, mandatory mag change, 3 shots @ 3rd target 4.5 seconds, and finally right hand only @ 4th target 4.5 seconds.

Plus there were steel targets, hostage scenarios, tactical door entry scenarios, and just tons of fun. The experienced shooters were very happy to give me the newbee lots of tips. Plus I now have a lot of new shooter friends.

Can't wait until the next one.
Old May 2, 2005, 12:39 PM   #2
Christopher II

You were at Fredricksburg, huh? Wish I had known, I would have introduced myself.

Yeah, Baseball Standards is not on my list of favorite classifiers. It's not just the difficult shooting (You didn't mention the ranges - the strong and weak hand targets are at fifteen yards, the two freestyle targets are out at twenty-five,) but the hit factor is absurdly high. I shot a 69%, eighth place overall, that was just a "C" nationally. Sheesh...

Next match is this Sunday at York. Five pistol stages, five shotgun stages. Be there or be elsewhere.

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old May 2, 2005, 12:40 PM   #3
Number 6

Welcome aboard!

I think you'll find that $40 an excellent investment.

Stay safe, shoot well and have fun.
Old May 2, 2005, 12:51 PM   #4
Duxman

Chris,

Too bad I didnt know anyone from here was going to be there.

Yep you were right about the range, it was hard.

Next week I am headed to Charles County, where there is a big 3 gun competition. Might go to the NRA on Monday after that for the IDPA shoot.

Good luck on the York competition.

JJ