The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 16, 2014, 04:48 PM   #1
Bennyfatsack

Clamp on muzzle brake?? Opinions??

Found an Australian seller manufacturer producing clamp on muzzle brakes customised to suit your muzzle diameter has interchangeable stainless calibre sleeves, clamps on via 6 hex head screws 3 each side, is actually listed on eBay Australia, just search ( muzzle brake ). Was hoping others had experience with or advice regarding this style of brake, ultimately I would prefer tapped and threaded, but touch and go with firearms laws in Australia when modifying firearms, so clamp on bypasses this dilemma, advice anyone before I buy........ Actually I probably buy anyway and make my own judgement, still be good to hear.
Old August 17, 2014, 08:57 PM   #2
Bennyfatsack

Anyone ??
Old August 18, 2014, 06:49 AM   #3
wogpotter

A friend of mine bought a Smith Enterprises clamp on brake for his .308, based on the fact I had one on my .22.
He was warned to drill recesses for the fixing grub screws, but decided he'd just torque them really well instead.
His 3rd shot blew the thing right off the muzzle making 3 huge gouges in the end of his barrel.
Based on that I'd not use a clamp on or grub screw type with a center-fire rifle. Rim fire yes.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old August 18, 2014, 08:08 AM   #4
tobnpr

I have a Kahntrol, clamp-on brake on my long-range 7mm-08.

Brings recoil down to 5.56 levels IMO, very effective. While the 7-08 has relatively little recoil, it allows me to spot my own hits very effectively, eliminating the need for a spotter.

http://kahntrol.com/brake-options/
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old August 19, 2014, 02:39 AM   #5
Bennyfatsack

I'm looking to fit mine to my howa varmint .243 21mm o.d. Barrel, for same reason, recoil not a problem just wanting to reduce it for viewing shot placement and will only improve my accuracy by reducing flinch from recoil. I have since contacted hinterland sports ( manufacturer/seller ) and he says that of the several hundred sold he has had very little bad feed back, bad feed back mostly from people fitting brakes to magnum calibres with sporter or small diam barrels, fitting a grub/locating screw also sounds like a great idea. Manufacturer assures me though, that if I fit his brake to my 21mm od .243, tensioning all 6 hex screws evenly to 60lb it will never move, be sure to clean and use some loctite if I was worried. $185 aus + post, $35 to rebush if calibre change or worn out. Gunna try it. Ill post feedback upon a test run
Old August 19, 2014, 07:06 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

I remember the CA AWB and the resultant CA Compliant clamp on muzzle brakes in lieu of a threaded barrel and flash suppressors. Some of the clamp on brakes flew off during the course of firing.
Old August 19, 2014, 08:09 AM   #7
tobnpr

Clamp-on's, when done with precision, won't have issues IMO.

The "cheap" ones, often for milsurps where the pitch is not having to modify or thread the barrel, often have a single allen set screw- and can be dangerous.

Those like the Kahntrol are precision milled-custom- to exactly match the diameter and taper of your barrel. Fitting mine took some effort to get in placed correctly. It hasn't moved relative to the witness mark on the barrel in about 600 rounds, and I've not had to re-torque the screws (loctited in place).

While I would prefer a threaded brake on a new barrel, one that's already fitted to an action and would require removal are perfect candidates for a quality clamp-on, JMO.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old August 19, 2014, 08:12 AM   #8
Vt.birdhunter

If you secure it as per the manufactures directions, it should be solid.
Check his feedback carefully.

Brakes can be very effective at reducing muzzle rise/recoil, but they generally make the firearm much louder.
Old August 19, 2014, 11:03 AM   #9
Jim243

I have used one on my 10/22 22 lr and have not had any problems, but for my 243 I would get a gunsmith to thread the barrel if I was going to use one.

Probably cheaper in the long run.

Just my thoughts.
Jim
Old August 20, 2014, 06:59 PM   #10
HJ857

I also have a Kahntrol brake on a semi auto .308. I don't remember using loctite on the screws. I re-checked for tightness after 50 rounds and again at 100 and they didn't even slightly come loose. I have around 1000 rounds through it now and it's still rock solid. Great brake.
Old August 21, 2014, 06:57 PM   #11
Pahoo

I have one, on the bench

One day at the range, I found one. It was threaded and pinned. It had cracked at the pin location and must have been blown off. Later, a friend told me that it came off a Bushmaster, although I don't know how he determined that. I still have it in my shop. ....

Be Safe !!!