The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2005, 04:12 PM   #1
Kayser

Strategy for catching brass at indoor range?

I finally fired off my first reloaded rounds today. Whee! 5.4 gr of unique behind a 230 gr bullet was considerably more mild than your average WWB load.

Anyways, I was having a heckuva time finding my brass. I think my recycling rate was probably only 75% or so. The others disappeared into the void like socks in a dryer.

So - what kind of strategies do you guys use to make your brass more findable? I found that standing a bit further back in the lane caused more rounds to bounce into my lane, and I made sure to sweep the place clean so that it was easy to identify my own rounds. It also occurred to me that I could mark my brass with a marker or something. 1 stripe for factory new loads. 1 additional stripe for every time a round has been reloaded.

But even still - it sucks to lose that much brass. Any suggestions?
Old March 20, 2005, 04:17 PM   #2
novus collectus

Been wondering the same thing. If you use one of those attachable brass catchers then will it affet the function or aim of the gun?
Old March 20, 2005, 08:43 PM   #3
Guy B. Meredith

Shoot revolvers
Old March 21, 2005, 10:21 AM   #4
Colduglandon

I use the firing position on the far right so I don't have so far to chase the casings. Or like Guy said I bring my revolver.
Old March 21, 2005, 02:10 PM   #5
tjhands

Yeah, it's like an Easter egg hunt every time I shoot. I painted the brass in pastel colors to make it more fun....ahem, just kidding.

On one hand, I like shooting outdoors more than indoors, but my brass recovery rate is only around 75% outside. Lots of grass and dirt end up in the tumbler as well. Oh well, it's a trade-off.
Old March 21, 2005, 04:37 PM   #6
Russ5924

I like you kind of guys after you leave I PICK IT UP
Old March 21, 2005, 05:32 PM   #7
Guy B. Meredith

One of the things I REALLY don't like about shooting in competition with auto shooters is that all competitors are required to go around scrounging for the last shooter's brass--my back and knees are good, but I don't like to tempt fate. So much better shooting all-revolver ICORE. Just look for the little piles or moonclips.

PC = Agenda driven groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!
Old March 23, 2005, 09:19 PM   #8
AustinMike

The outdoor range I go to has a nice setup. Each stand has some netting on the right side that attaches to a feed ramp that goes to a bucket. Works great for most guns. It's great for my Desert Eagle and that expensive .44 brass! My Taurus PT145 flings the brass high and out of the stand though.
Old March 24, 2005, 09:14 AM   #9
Master Blaster

brasscatcher

it will take you to the disclaimer page click I agree and you will see the brass catcher.

You can make one with a welding torch and some netting also, or I have seen them made from PVC with PCc glue and mosquito netting
Old March 26, 2005, 01:01 AM   #10
Blue Heeler

At my range there are portable screens about 3ft x 6ft made from a light wooden frame covered with plastic shadecloth - these stop the brass from flying everywhere and going down the neck of the guy at the next station.
Old March 26, 2005, 09:31 AM   #11
MADISON

Catching brass on indoor range.

Hang an old shirt, on a coat hanger, on the right side of your lane. A few shots will tell you the correct angel.
The brass will hit the shirt and drop straight down.
Old March 26, 2005, 01:23 PM   #12
hawk

Shoot really light loads so they don't cycle the slide. (just kidding)
Old April 30, 2005, 01:36 AM   #13
OfcrBill

The brass hunt

At the indoor range, I usually go during lunchtime when few people are present. I have a buddy distract the range staff with silly antics. I then move in, I grab the large broom and start pushin' all the brass towards my lane and scoop 'em into my range bag. It's quite comical and I'm expecting to get banned soon. Seriously, I just ask the staff If I can snagg some brass from their brass bins. Bill
USS Jason AR 8
USS Kitty Hawk CV 63