The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 15, 2013, 10:35 AM   #1
tobnpr

Million Man March...?

Maybe 2,000,000....

Why is the NRA failing to organize any sort of grassroots campaign to stop the momentum of this absurdity?

The liberal media- as in the Presidential campaign- is fomenting anti-gun hysteria with misinformation and outright lies to turn public opinion...

WE NEED to show up in D.C., TWO MILLION OF US, on the steps of the Capital, and DEMAND that OUR VOICES be heard by our Representatives.

I will gladly travel the 1000 miles. Create gridlock in DC- and let THEM KNOW we will not have our Consitutional rights trampled!

MOLON LABE!
Old January 15, 2013, 12:07 PM   #2
Jo6pak

Well, you could attend one of the several state rallies this Saturday.

Sure, It's not DC, but it's something we can do now.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Ruthless4christ

I am going on saturday but I would also travel to DC in a heartbeat.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:47 PM   #4
WW2

What Rallys?

I haven't heard of any rallys. Could you post a link or give more informaion?

Luke 22:36
Quote:
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old January 16, 2013, 02:48 AM   #5
RampantAndroid

Any near Seattle?

I'd doubt it, everyone here eats granola...
Old January 16, 2013, 03:04 AM   #6
natjohnb

Quote:
What Rallys?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't heard of any rallys. Could you post a link or give more informaion?
Here: https://www.facebook.com/events/144639815690301/

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...42#post5369242
Old January 16, 2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Wbdisco

I like the idea, but I am very wary of what could potentially happen. There are crazy people out there. Anti gun protesters, rough looking or not well spoken individuals will more than likely get the spotlight. It will only take one bad apple to ruin the whole process and forever put a bad face on gun rights advocates. More than likely all publicity will be negative, sad but with the media here lately I don't doubt it.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:08 AM   #8
Ruthless4christ

Quote:
There are crazy people out there. Anti gun protesters, rough looking or not well spoken individuals will more than likely get the spotlight. It will only take one bad apple to ruin the whole process and forever put a bad face on gun rights advocates.
By far the worst excuse to stay home this saturday. Get out there and let them see what we are made of.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:44 AM   #9
ncpatriot

We need to do something. I read last night that the Million Moms & some other group in DC are having a march to DEMAND more gun control. I think they do it on Jan 26. Would a counter rally be possible?

Unfortunately, I cannot go to DC at the moment. Grass Roots NC is having a rally in Raleigh NC soon, date TBA.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:24 AM   #10
Ruthless4christ

I would go to DC, who cares about inconvenience at this point?
Old January 16, 2013, 11:43 AM   #11
tulsamal

I'll be in Oklahoma City on the 19th. Saturday. Noon. Going to be a beautiful day as far as weather. South steps of the Capitol building. Open or concealed carry is fine. Just not allowed to carry in the buildings. No long guns!

Please dress appropriately. This isn't the time or place for your hunting garb.

Gregg
Old January 16, 2013, 11:46 AM   #12
Wbdisco

Not making excuses, just trying to make an honest assessment. It just seems like the media will twist a good thing to match their agenda.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:48 AM   #13
tulsamal

They will be able to "twist it" even better if we organize a rally and nobody comes. That will "prove" there is no public support for our position. Just the "out of touch" NRA.

As far as rednecks at the rally... we will police our own.

G
Old January 16, 2013, 09:18 PM   #14
Magnum Mike

I'm going!
Old January 16, 2013, 09:31 PM   #15
wayneinFL

Florida:

Here's one on the west coast, 1/19, for the OP.

http://www.efl2ndamendment.com/home/

I heard about another in Tallahassee, but I have no information on it.

Either way, I'm stuck working out of state this weekend.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:58 PM   #16
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Million Man March...?
Two points. First, why be sexist? Plenty of women support the 2nd Amendment.

Second, the MMM has been done before. I don't believe our general population fits the parameters that made of that event or has the same goals.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_Man_March
Old January 16, 2013, 10:25 PM   #17
Ghost1958

That has been my biggest fear about these state rallys and even bigger about a DC one.
One these sprang up as an idea a relatively short time ago so tons of folks that may have went dont know its even happening

Having taken part in a couple of pro veteran events of a similar nature to rally at the state capitol and hundreds saying they were coming most wound up with news crews taking pictures of 25 people that actually came.

If there is good and I mean good turn out these rallys can be of benefit. If as I fear a lot will talk the talk and not actually show up they will be more harm than good only adding ammo to the antis position that pro gun folks are a minority and a small one.

Policing our own is dicey too. Let one loud verbal confrontation much less physical one between even two pro gun rally attenders be seen by a news camera and you can bet it will be all over national tv before 24 hours is up to prove we are all radical unstable and violent by nature.

Im praying there is a good turn out and I plan on going even though in my state everything political is pro gun so its sort of just going thru the motions.
Heres hoping
Old January 16, 2013, 10:35 PM   #18
hermannr

For Seattle, At Noon, on Saturday, in Oly, on the capitol grounds. Come.
Old January 17, 2013, 12:01 AM   #19
GeeJ

It might not be a bad idea to shake the hand of every LEO present at the rally and thank them for their service. Imagine the sight of thousands of gun owners shaking hands, having conversations, and showing appreciation with every LEO in the area.

It might go a long way in showing the LEO community that we're all on the same side. It could also alleviate any uncertainties between gun owners and LEOs on that day or possibly deepen one's belief that protecting the Rights of the people they serve to protect is just as important. Maybe.....just maybe.....change the mind of a gun-control favoring LEO.

Anyway, just a thought that I wanted to throw out there. Take care.
Old January 17, 2013, 12:20 AM   #20
ncpatriot

Bothers me too that NRA isn't getting a rally together. How about GOA? Any news from them lately?

Right on that the press will work against us either way. If huge numbers turn out, they will pick out the worst 100 of the crowd & do 90% of the filming on them. If no one comes, they will play up that most gun owners must now agree with more controls, etc.

If it happens, I will do my best to go. Any gun owners who go should avoid looking extreme in any way. I would suggest no Confederate flags, heavy camo, or posters with misspelled words. Media would have a field day.
Old January 17, 2013, 07:34 AM   #21
Magnum Mike

This may be helpful that others are gathering at a gun control event not backed by the NRA! The NRA at the White House and We the People else where!
Old January 17, 2013, 08:30 AM   #22
ncpatriot

GeeJ, good thinking. Most LEO's here in NC do not fear armed citizens. A cop I go to church with says it eases his mind to know that he may get unexpected help in some bad situation. Numerous others have told me they do not fear us.

Since getting my permit & carrying, I have been hit twice in auto accidents, been witness to several others, reported job site crimes & talked with LEO's riding by a few of my late night jobs. I have disclosed over a dozen times to cops that I was carrying. Not a one had an issue with it.

From many posts on this forum, I see that cops in some states are not like that. Seems to be mostly northeastern states that police may see themselves as more a part of the ruling elite and think citizens have no need or right to carry. I think cops in my state largely see themselves as part of the community and that policing is just what they do for a living. They take it seriously and all, but do not abuse their power. There are exceptions of course.
Old January 17, 2013, 03:04 PM   #23
btmj

Big public demonstrations (marches, sit-ins, protest rallies, etc) are an effective tool if your agenda appeals to those who do not have regular employment. Past examples are the movements to Save The Whales, End Commercial Logging, Protest a War, Protest Wall Street. If your agenda appeals to college students and the un-employed, a street protest is a good tool. I am not trying to disparage college students (I was one once) or the unemployed. But those people can't donate money to lobbing groups, they can't donate to election campaigns, so the only way to make their voice heard is by demonstrating.

If the Government were trouncing the rights of Golfers, NFL-season-ticket holders, Boaters, Scuba-Divers, or Equestrians, I seriously doubt that a protest demonstration would be effective, because all of these people would tend to be gainfully employed with busy lives. The same is true for firearms enthusiasts... A hundred million people may own a gun, but the number of enthusiasts is smaller, and gun enthusiasts tend to have an income generating job or profession..... It is not that easy to just "march on washington". It is a lot easier to make phone calls, write letters, and donate cash to the cause...
Old January 19, 2013, 06:55 PM   #24
USAFNoDak

~1000 Supporters Show Up in St. Paul, MN

I attended a rally at the Minnesota state capitol today. I would estimate that there was close to 1000 people there, and it's the dead of winter. One of the local news channels later reported that "dozens of pro gun rights supporters showed up at the capitol today to..." Dozens. Nice way to report a pure false hood. They just can't accept that there's grass roots support for the right to keep and bear arms.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams.
Old January 19, 2013, 07:23 PM   #25
a7mmnut

Guys and gals: please remember the first letter in NRA stands for NATIONAL. State and local rallies fall under grass roots organizations. The NRA/ILA is busy giving Washington legislators heck. Also, in states like North Carolina remember that it is quite unlawful to show up on state government property with arms--concealed or not. Below are two related stories and the address for Grass Roots North Carolina, one of the best of the best. We wouldn't have CCH today without them.

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...1_UNEWS&page=1

http://www.grnc.org/grnc-alerts-arch...plan-to-attend

-7-