The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 24, 2009, 08:36 PM   #1
UnderDawgAl

Just ordered a CZ vz-82.

I've been debating it for awhile. This is my first C&R purchase.

I ordered it from Centerfire Systems. It should arrive on Tuesday. I will post pics by next weekend.

Now, I need to buy a bullet mold for 9x18 and a couple hundred brass cases.

Other stores have the vz-82 (CDNN, SOG, Military Gun Supply, JG Sales). The ones from Centerfire are a few dollars more. We'll see if the finish on the gun is any better (or worse ) than those from the other suppliers, although I would expect that they're all pretty similar.
Old January 25, 2009, 11:15 PM   #2
Ricklin

Stripper and cold blue

I need to take some pics of mine. I just stripped the slide with paint remover, degreased really well and cold blued.
Right at a 100% improvement in looks, and can be done in an afternoon.
On mine the frame paint was real good just holster wear on the slide. I think mine was about average condition.
Are these vz-82s the greatest or what! Great pistol for the buck, unbeatable.
Old January 26, 2009, 07:49 PM   #3
UnderDawgAl

Good call, Ricklin. I figure that, if mine is in bad cosmetic shape, I will do the same thing as you have done.

Will put up pics once I get it in from Centerfire Systems.
Old January 26, 2009, 08:12 PM   #4
orchidhunter

Do not take it a part more than to field strip it, very hard to get back together. A guy I know had to have pro help to get his back together. orchidhunter
Old January 26, 2009, 10:45 PM   #5
Ricklin

Press required

I would not disassemble an 82 without a small arbor press to put it back together, too many roll pins
Old January 28, 2009, 09:38 PM   #6
noelf2

When you get a mold, I'd be interested to see if you have any issues firing lead bullets in the cz82's polygonally rifled barrel. Some advise against it.
Old January 29, 2009, 11:51 AM   #7
Milspec

+1 I'd definitely stick with cheap jacketed commercial ammo rather than cast lead bullets. The CZ-82 military loads were about 20% warmer than other commie era ammo, so it'll handle whatever you feed it. Buy a case or two of Wolf and be happy...

Milspec

Colonel Bill Jordan
Old January 29, 2009, 07:33 PM   #8
UnderDawgAl

I've ordered a Lee mould from Graf's.

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't see the logic that lead bullets shouldn't be fired through barrels with polygonal rifling. A cursory search of this website and other gunboards reveals that other shooters are using cast bullets in this gun, as well as Glocks. And we all know that, if it's on the internet, then it's true!

Seriously, why would a hard cast bullet be problematic? On a range outing, I typically shoot about 100 rounds per gun, and then I give the bore a thorough cleaning when I get home. Leading hasn't been an issue for me. Of course, I will find out soon enough whether that continues to hold true and will duly report back.
Old January 30, 2009, 10:34 AM   #9
Milspec

My point isn't that lead bullets will damage the poly rifling. I just personally wouldn't want to cast bullets for my CZ-82. First of all, they have to be cast hard...so plan on scrounging wheel weights. With the rising cost of lead these are getting harder to come by and the quality is inconsistent. The bullets will need to be sized...can't just shoot them out of the mold. Poly barrels are forgiving on pressure but they like consistency. So you'll have to size & lube them if you want optimal accuracy. Then you have environmental issues, like releasing lead into your personal universe. Plus you'll need casiings. Most 9X18mm "out there" are berdan primed & steel. It's hard to find reloadable Mak casings lying around the range. Plus, if you hang out with other Mak bullet casters (the real hardcore reloaders) you'll face peer pressure to trim 9X19mm cases to 9X18mm length...and then mark the case heads with a Sharpie. Then comes the inevitable confusion. Missing the magic marker in the dark you'll accidently load your new "Mak" cast loads into your Glock 19...providing yet another example for folks who say not to shoot cast bullets in a Glock...

But if you're going to cast your own anyway watch out for leading, especially in the headspace rim of the chamber. Clean the bore often and never try to "shoot it clean" by firing a jacketed bullet. With poly rifling the lead is smeared against the bore and becomes even harder to remove.

So even though I've been known to cast for some calibers, I'll stick with S&B & Wolf for my CZ-82...my various Maks, PA-63 & P-64 too...

Milspec

Colonel Bill Jordan
Old January 31, 2009, 08:25 AM   #10
UnderDawgAl

Milspec,

You have presented valid concerns worthy of consideration, which I appreciate. I will go slow and easy on the casting/reloading for this gun and see how it turns out. Give me a few weeks, and I'll give a report.

Heck, I don't even have the gun or mould or dies in hand yet. All are in various stages of shipping to the house.