The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 26, 2011, 10:56 AM   #1
noelf2

Sighting in a T/C Hawken

I had to replace some parts on the rear sight of my 50 cal Hawken (1/66 twist), so I took it to my friends range to sight it in and thought I'd try the lubed "Buffalo Ball-ets" conicals I bought a year or twenty ago (.50 cal, 245gr). Didn't like 'em. They were kinda loose going down the bore. They shot ok at 25 yds but opened way up at 50 yards (using 90gr Pyrodex RS). Shot about 15 of them all together. Went back to my standard of 78gr pyro and a patched round ball and it sighted in perfect. Did I do something wrong with the ball-ets? I put them right on the powder, no patch or wad between.
Old October 26, 2011, 11:21 AM   #2
Pahoo

Let's do the twist.

The obvious answer is that your twist is not fast enough to handle a conical. twist rates and projectiles are something that one has to work out. My M/L's range fron 1:66 to 1:24. I hsave shot quite a few variety of conicals and Sabots with BoatTail projectiles as well as the good old PRB. Your twist is more applicable to the PRB. Good luck ....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 26, 2011, 11:30 AM   #3
noelf2

Quote:
The obvious answer is that your twist is not fast enough to handle a conical.
Ball-ets are designed for slow twist rifling. They are only a bit longer than they are wide. I'm thinking the lack of a good grip on the rifling is the problem. Ball-ets won't be as accurate as PRB in my rifle, but they shouldn't have been as bad as they were.
Old October 26, 2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Hawg

Those ball-etts have a thick skirt. 90 grains prolly isn't enough to open them up. I've got a friend with a .53 that likes them and he uses 120 grains.
Old October 26, 2011, 12:54 PM   #5
noelf2

Quote:
Those ball-etts have a thick skirt.
Yes they do. After this muzzle loader season, I'll try them again with more powder.
Old October 26, 2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Pahoo

One size may not fit all !!

Quote:
"Buffalo Ball-ets"
I have shot these out of my faster twist in-lines and have gotten very good performance. I have never shot these out of my 1:66. .....

Be Safe !!!