The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 24, 2012, 11:53 AM   #26
punymidget

BSI Scene safe? No? I'd render aid to the victims of the attacker... but sorry to that attacker, I'm going to treat them last if at all, EMT's have to think of themselves first and foremost, then their team (or in this case, the other victims). Never put yourself in a position that you can be attacked or taken as a hostage, if you have someone crazed enough to attack you in the first place... who says they are not on say they wouldn't take you hostage right when you go and try and help them in order to beg for their freedom?

But on that note, I have a first aid kit in each of my cars in-case something happens, I rarely carry any of that with me on my person though, at the most some medical tape but thats it... really you can use that tape and do anything with it, shirt for a bandage or tourniquet (or tape for a tourniquet), SCW tape a CC, an ID, whatever with a flutter valve and presto you're done.
Old December 24, 2012, 10:51 PM   #27
Ghost1958

Im in the if they are dumb enough to push things to the point I have to shoot them, they are on their own camp.
Old December 25, 2012, 12:57 AM   #28
Nnobby45

Quote:
Knock yourself out. Personally I seriously doubt I will be rendering assistance to anyone who just attacked me and was forced to shoot.
There are good reasons why approaching an individual who APPEARS to be incapacitated could be unwise. And why calling 911, in stead, as soon as you can would be best for your own physical safety. There'd also be a record of your attempt to get medical help as soon as possible.

Somewhere out there, I know there's a prosecutor who'd say, "Aha, he carried first aid for the person he planned in advance to shoot".
Old December 25, 2012, 01:42 AM   #29
Perturbed Panda

Oh one is the loneliest number. Haha No I do appreciate hearing other people's thoughts on the subject. I'm glad to see that others have at least a kit in their vehicle.
"Sorta like if we are arguing over whether rubber or wood grips are more comfortable and you said "Rubber is better than wood, that's why they make tires out of rubber not wood." It's a complete non sequitur."
~LockedBreech
Old December 25, 2012, 06:06 PM   #30
ClydeFrog

Recent shooting incident/FD....

The recent news item about a "ambush" type fire & shooting reminded me of this posted topic. A large fire was started then some nutcase started shooting the fire fighters & first responders who came on scene. This was in rural NY state.
It just supports the posts that say to be alert & use caution in these incidents. Let EMTs & sworn LE officers deal with the scene ASAP.

Clyde
Old December 26, 2012, 11:10 AM   #31
Rainbow Demon

I once found a inflatable dingy on the side of the road. I threw it in the back of the truck.
Whever anyone asked why I had a liferaft in my truck I told them it was in case I ran off a bridge.
Old December 26, 2012, 09:13 PM   #32
Heavy Metal 1

The bad guy brought his troubles upon himself. If he hadn't misbehaved he wouldn't need any aide. If he lives or dies it's in God's hands. Get to safety and call 911; the cops get paid to deal with these situations and they can shoot him again if required. Just because he's down doesn't mean he is out of the fight.
Old December 29, 2012, 10:55 AM   #33
treg

Quote:
If you are thinking of rendering help for a person with a GSW, study up on BSI Scene Safe first. Then incurable hepatitis, stds, community mrsa and other nasties from poor life choices. For a chest wound, think tension pneumothorax possibility, etc, etc.
And the impending lawsuit(s).