The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 27, 2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Jevyod

35 Remington brass

I just aquired a Marlin 336 in 35 remington and was wanting to do some reloading for it. I was looking at Remington brass, but it said something about Remington no longer making them. Are 35 remington components going to become increasingly harder to find? I found some Winchester brass and was wandering if maybe I should buy aenough to last a while. Any thoughts?
Old November 27, 2012, 12:56 PM   #2
WIL TERRY

YOU SHOULD ALWAYS---ALWAYS !!!--- buy enough to last awhile. Like maybe your lifetime.
And so it goes...
Old November 27, 2012, 01:48 PM   #3
Jevyod

Well I am 27 and this is my favorite gun. So if I live another 40-60 years and shoot a measly 50 rounds per year thats still several thousand rounds! Maybe I should get 1000
Old November 27, 2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevyod
So if I live another 40-60 years and shoot a measly 50 rounds per year thats still several thousand rounds! Maybe I should get 1000
Several thousand rounds but not several thousand BRASS.

You should easily get at least 5 reloads from each piece of brass. I don't know about the 35Rem in particular but in much higher pressure cartridges, such as .308Win, cases can be reloaded up to a couple of dozen times, if properly cared for.

50 rounds a year, 1000 brass should last several lifetimes. 500 should be enough for one man's life, even if you lose a bunch.
Old November 27, 2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Jevyod

Good point! So even 100 would last a while!
Old November 27, 2012, 04:18 PM   #6
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
You can load .35 Rem. cases at least ten times , probably 5 before you have to trim , as long as case length remains uniform . Just don't size any more than needed for them to chamber . Uniform case length is important with any cartridge that needs a crimp in a cannelure ! Take a look on GunBroker for some brass , there's plenty of it out there .
Old November 27, 2012, 07:36 PM   #7
rajbcpa

I owned a lever gun for this round. It was always hard to find brass. I finally gave the gun to a relative with my stash of brass ...about 150 cases.

If I ever got another lever gun, it would be a 30-30 and not a remington 35.... this round is not popular and is a pain to deal with...

if you can find cases, they are not cheap.
Old November 27, 2012, 08:36 PM   #8
1stmar

Been reloading this for over 15 years, easy to reload, accurate (marlin 336c) and never had a problem getting brass.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/139...s-35-remington
Old November 28, 2012, 07:22 AM   #9
Jevyod

Well this gun is not going to the relatives! It has sentimental value. It is the first gun dad bought for us to take hunting! All my brothers wanted it and I am the lucky one that has it. Also as a side note; I went and bought a box of LeverEvolutions to shoot just to see how it shoots(haven't shot it in a while). Lo and behold I did a 3 shot group at 100 yards that I could cover with a quarter. Not bad for a 1950 levergun!
Old November 29, 2012, 03:08 PM   #10
loademwell

Have been hunting with this same gun since I was 12 years old. Never heard about Remington stopping this line. Better stock up myself. Oh well. I can still find ammo for it at my local walmart, and most sporting good stores.

I remember reading years ago that this cartridge was made many years ago (1800's late If i remember right) and WAS one of the best deer hunting guns. I would have a hard time believing they would toss it aside for other guns.

But better safe then sorry.... Have about 250 brasses. that should be more then you need for the life of the 336.
Old November 30, 2012, 02:24 PM   #11
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I've heard that the Leverevolution ammo can bind in the magazines of Win. 94 and Marlin rifles if the follower is worn . If your gun feeds other ammo well , but not the LeverEvolution , try a new follower ! Somebody needs to make a concave follower for those guns , so the first round in the mag is in the center . Wouldnt be too hard to cut them out of Delrin , or some other plastic I wouldn't think . Or stamp them from Tin . I have two Rem. 141s in .35 , one with an 18" barrel and one with the original 24" . Neither one will leave here before I do . I just happen to have two grandsons !
Old November 30, 2012, 03:53 PM   #12
chiefr

Remington still makes 35 Rem brass. Like so many of the scarcer or becoming scarce cartridges, they make ammo & brass in batches once or twice a year. Common ammo such as 30-06, 223, etc is in constant production. In the future your brass will be back in stock. I would go to some of the many retailers that offer a "Notify Me" when back in stock.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:23 AM   #13
rodfac

Oneoldsap, I've shot .35 Remington for many years in a Marlin 336. Never had trouble finding brass or factory ammunition for it. Midway supplied me with 200 pieces of brass just this spring. As to the follower, my Marlin 336 feeds the Leverevolution gummy bullets just fine. Marlin, now Remington, sells a dimpled magazine follower for use with it...call them for parts. And I'm not aware of any Winchester 94 chambered in .35 Remington, not to say that they positively haven't ever made one...they did chamber the pre-64 Model 70 for it in a short 20" carbine version for a brief time....a very collectable gun if you ever find one, BTW. Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 6, 2012, 01:27 PM   #14
ForneyRider

Midwayusa is showing Winchester brand 35 Remington available.

I have 4 boxes of LeverEvolution. When that runs out, I am loading them back up to the same specs.