The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 9, 2002, 05:42 PM   #1
PKAY

Quick S&W Trigger Improvement

Having recently purchased a 4" Model 29-2 P&R (with presentation box and all the trimmings), I was confronted with a pretty tight action (hardly ever fired) and a kinda jerky and heavy double action trigger pull. Disassembling the gun. I cleaned each and every part thoroughly. I then took some jewelers rouge in powder form mixed with a little water from a syringe on a flat piece of Kovar (flat steel works too) I had laying around, I polished both the back (frame side) and bottom sides of the rebound slide by rubbing the slide back and forth in the rouge mixture against the flat Kovar until smooth. Cleaning the slickened slide with water and blowing dry with compressed air, I reassembled the gun using my own "home brew" of MMO and generic STP (FP-10 is excellent as well, but I sure like my goop!). I also backed off the main spring 3/4 of a turn. Man, what a difference in DA trigger pull! Very smooth and stages nicely (It's still a looong pull, though, IMHO). No cutting of the rebound spring. No taking a stone to either the hammer or trigger sear. Dry fire a couple of hundred times with snap caps and your in business. Safe and effective, especially if you don't feel qualified to start changing the configuration of either the hammer or trigger interfacing surfaces (and I do not!). I've replicated this a couple of times now on my Smiths and have been very pleased with the results.
Old November 9, 2002, 06:13 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Shhhhh!

Pkay - you're ruining my retirement gig.
Old November 10, 2002, 12:02 AM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Another trick is to put the rebound slide in a milling machine and remove a slight amount from the middle of the slide, lengthwise, on the bottom and sides. This reduces the friction surface area and, in combination with polishing the remaining areas and the frame, makes a very smooth workup.

Jim
Old November 10, 2002, 12:40 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Backing the strain screw off is NOT a good idea, especially if the gun is going to be used for defensive purposes.

The strain screw is meant to be snugged down TIGHT into its recess.

If it's not, it "floats" and can readily unscrew itself even farther.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 10, 2002, 10:43 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

But Mike, I can't find a strain screw on the 317.

Actually, if one had to play around with it (and we didn't), one filed down a bit of the strain screw and tighthened it down all the way. That way it wouldn't back out. We were taught to reduce the coils on the rebound slide spring and to leave the mainspring and strain screw alone.
Old November 10, 2002, 01:27 PM   #6
PKAY

Not used for defense, Mike. Gotta CQB for that task. However, concerning backing off of the main spring strain screw, seems to me the stock grips butt right up against it when in place. How would "backing out" become a problem in this instance?
Old November 10, 2002, 01:42 PM   #7
WESHOOT2

PLEISTOCENE REVOLVER 'SMITHING

Or you can take the side off, squirt in some Gleem toothpaste, slap the side back on, and dry-fire a bunch.
Then clean thoroughly, and voila! a smoother action.
Old November 10, 2002, 01:48 PM   #8
PKAY

Gee, Weshoot2, it's not like I'm hurtin' things. Give us the benefit of your experience in this matter. How would you go about such a task step by step? Always like to learn, ya know.
Old November 10, 2002, 02:16 PM   #9
WESHOOT2

NO ACCUSATION HERE: YOUR GUN

You take off the side, squirt in some Gleem toothpaste, replace the side, and dry-fire.
Then clean thoroughly.

I wasn't kidding. The slight abrasiveness of the toothpaste acts as a very gentle 'lapping compound', and is MOST UNLIKELY to cause any harm.
Thorough cleaning required.

My experience: I take S&W's apart in a 'spring box'.
Old November 10, 2002, 03:04 PM   #10
PKAY

Holy Cow, Weshoot2, I thought you were funnin' my effort! Now that I think of it, that Gleem toothpaste thing is kinda similar. Sorry for the misinterpretation.
Old November 11, 2002, 01:31 AM   #11
WESHOOT2

HAMMER, CHISEL, EXPEDIENCE

You should see my smile .
Old November 11, 2002, 11:55 AM   #12
C.R.Sam

Take new gun...
Give it to your grandfather when he is young.
When you are old enough to shoot it.
He will have smoothed it out for you.

Sam
Old November 12, 2002, 10:42 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

Gleem toothpaste is, alas, no longer made. It was also good for removing copper fouling from rifle barrels and, incidentally, for cleaning teeth.

You can do the same thing, just by pouring the powdered rouge directly into the action, adding oil and working the gun a lot. You can flush out the rouge without even disassembling the gun.

If you want to reduce tension of the leaf type mainspring on a S&W, take metal off the sides, tapering the spring to make it narrower at the top.

Jim