The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 9, 2013, 07:54 PM   #1
xLPlushy

.30-30 Win Load questions

Hey all,

I've been following another thread for a few days now and have a few questions of my own and don't want to hijack that thread.

I'm loading for 2 Winchester 1894's. one is a 1968 and the other is a 1974, both have 20" barrels(muzzle to receiver).

I'll be using 170gr Round nose bullets(Hornady #3060). I found some Hodgdon Leverevolution powder at Cabelas today, and took home 2 pounds of it.

Has anybody used this with this bullet weight with satisfaction? Is there another place I can find load data to compare with aside from Hornady's 8th and the Hodgdon website? Does any body have a pet load with this powder that they would share here?

And finally, my brother asked me to load a Spitzer BT or HPBT to use for longer ranges, 200-300 yards max. He would be keeping this chambered only and not loading them into the mag tube. Can this be done? I can't find any data for a standard rifle bullet in that cartridge. What bullet weight would be safe to use and achieve proper seating depth?

Thanks in advance
Old March 9, 2013, 08:16 PM   #2
jimbob86

Only in a Nosler Partition. Wrong Bullet For Whitetail, I can tell you that: They WILL penetrate bambi lengthwise. Makes a mess, and not a lot of shock to the animal, either- he ran off like I had missed, and if it had not been for the heavy snow on the ground, I might have lost him.
Old March 10, 2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Boomer58cal

I've found the 170g works fine but I prefer the 150g. We could argue the differences but they are very small.

If you want long range bullets for the 30-30 I'd keep an eye out for some Hornady 140 or 160g mono-flex. They are specially designed for the 30-30 and revolution powder. The Cabela's here where I live had 300 rds in the other day. If you can't find any and insist on long range pointed bullets just be careful that an unwitting person doesn't feed them in the magazine. Very dangerous. I will admit to loading Hornady sst and Nosler Accu-bond for my 30-30. For higher velocity cartridges I prefer the sst but in the 30-30 the larger polymer tip of the accu-bond is best. It seems to expand better at lower velocity. I set them as close to the lands as possible without issue. I load 30g IMR 4895. I've loaded these because I don't often let others have access to my guns or ammo. I have the Hornady 9th reloading manual at home and it has loads for both the mono-flex if you want them I would be happy to get them for you. If not cabela's should have one in stock. Be safe.
Old March 10, 2013, 09:53 PM   #4
xLPlushy

Thanks Boomer. My only reasoning for using 170gr bullets is that where we hunt its either flat field for about 200 yards or a really dense woods.
The non round nose bullet idea was a question posed to me by my younger brother. Not 100% sure why he was interested in doing that but I think it has to do with trajectory. He hunts with a 7mm Rem Mag with his dad, but his dad won't let him bring that rifle to hunt with me. So I'm thinking he wants a first shot load that has a flatter trajectory out to the 200 yard mark.

I haven't gotten a chance to check out Hornady's 9th yet.
Old March 11, 2013, 12:55 AM   #5
Boomer58cal

At 200 yrds or less I would more worry about learning the ballistics of a round nose than how much it drops. If you wanted 300+ yrds it would be worth going for the pointed bullet. I'd tell your friend he's better off spending a little time at the range with the gun before the hunt.
Old April 16, 2013, 09:17 AM   #6
xLPlushy

Thanks boomer! I took my rifle out last Saturday and tried to sight in at 50yd. I'm hitting left and right. Got the up/down on. Not sure if my sights are off or if I'm not holding the rifle steady enough on the sandbags. Shooting on bags alone is kinda new to me, I'm used to a bipod and a bag under the buttstock to steady the rifle.

Time to go to the range and try again on a lead sled. As for load work I chose Hodgdon LeveRevolution, CCI 200 large rifle, and 170gr Hornady FN. I'm just going to stick with the RN bullets to keep all simple.